New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Bigace360

Theory and Ideas Forum

I believe should have a theory and Ideals thread. Here's why

• It's a good place for Scripters to post scripts they are thinking about making.
  • It's good for Level Designers to post level designs and tools for puzzles.
  • It's a great place for developers to post an idea before they commit to it.
  • It's a place of free-flowing creativity, which can help people brainstorm and come up with better ideas.
  • It may alleviate our doubt about what we're doing, or give is better direction of what we need to do.

Obviously this ideal forum is not for tech support. Asking questions about how to use the engine should be posted separately, in the right place in Engine Support or the Scripting areas.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah,I like this idea.It can be very helpful for all of the members in this site. (Level Designers,Developers,Scriptwriters, etc)

also It can be a good place for new game developers (like me) too. :ok:

I agree with last reason completely and I believe, that reason is enough to make a new thread.

I'd prefer that the scripts, level designs, and tools be separate idea topics at least.

and then have a brainstorm/direction topic separately also.

This is a very good idea Ace. It would be cool to see users contribute an idea and have more people give advice and build upon it. 

I'd prefer that the scripts, level designs, and tools be separate idea topics at least.

and then have a brainstorm/direction topic separately also.

Well duh, this a ideal for a forum not topics. You can just post those separate ideal topic in the forum. 

isn't that what the Game Development General Discussion forum is for?
possibly?

isn't that what the Game Development General Discussion forum is for?

Technically, because it's a catch-all. What doesn't fit goes in here.

I had a similar idea to this of having "skills" forums, such as: Programming, Spriting, Animated, Level/Map Design, etc. What you have to think about is what the forum is going to be called and what subject matter it's going to cover; so dividing into skills may be too specific and not many members will use them. On the other hand, "Ideas forum" is an ambiguous name and you have to take into account the proportion of our visitors that are either lazy or stupid (no offense guest reading this). The skills forums would incorporate both ideas and feedback on WIPs.

So yeah I like the idea of doing this in some form or another. We gotta decided to maximize it's usability. Hopefully it will inspire the use of the tutorials system. It's a great way to see what people are trying to learn.

I get that it seems like a good idea, I just don't see it being used very much because people hardly ever do it with the forums that are available. People are either too busy making the game to show off that much, or too lazy to bother. And when they do show that stuff off it's usually in their Game thread.

I think it's a good idea, I had a similar one some time ago. I'll give something that I'm planning to work on.

A puzzle for a level for a 2D side-scrolller. Moving left or right controls how the sun moves. When the sun moves over saplings on the ground they grow into a full blossoming plant, but when the sun moves away, the plants retreat to being a sapling again. Get several saplings to their full blossoming self and unlock the next level.