New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

RMU2.0 Live (but rushed)

Hi guys,

This evening I took a big risk and decided my time is up; I gotta upload. Here is the very incomplete, potentially buggy (we'll see) RMU2.0.

I have not had the opportunity to test the forums much at all, you guys are gona have to do that for me. On my test server it was working unusually smoothly post-upgrade (where many files are edited to make our system work).

There's a TON of new stuff. Mostly not on the forums. I'll try and list them from memory

-New engines pages layout: http://www.gdunlimited.net/engines/rpg-maker-vx-ace

-New homepage layout: http://www.gdunlimited.net/

-Designed for 1200px screens and less (rather than 980px and less)

-Some mobile stuff done, lots of work to go

-New menu layout (sticky menu, user drop down, notifications, engine tabs)

-New Scripts index layout + category layout: http://www.gdunlimited.net/scripts

-New Tutorials index layout: http://www.gdunlimited.net/tutorials

-New section: Resources: http://www.gdunlimited.net/resources

-Updated About us page: http://www.gdunlimited.net/about-us

-New Footer (scroll down)

-notifications on the nav

It's a real shame I ran outta time. There's a fair bit here, prob the biggest update I've ever made. But there's equally a lot to go... If I had all the time in the world, I'd say this would struggle to get 30% of what I want to do. But I gotta study now. I'm also getting a wisdom tooth out in about 11 hours and a 50% final on monday, so I'm gona busy for a while :(

Major bug reports please!

What I already know

-quick edit to full edit goes to wrong url, but works

-preview post still broken

-lots of odd looking forum sections, probably

-shoot, i forgot the links to the status updates, etc. I'll do that asap

-the notifications count doesn't clear

-eeeeeh so many

Looks great :thumbsup: Looking forward to the Games Section. I imagine that's right around the corner.

Looks great :thumbsup: Looking forward to the Games Section. I imagine that's right around the corner.

Sort of. Definitely could come around soon given I have a holiday soon and I rather get stuff coded up rather than work on bugs/fixes, which is what the plan is for the foreseeable future. Fix up bugs and do small things to get the site functioning right, and also moving the RMXP stuff into the RMXP sections. Which makes me sadface coz there's lots!

Ahem, quotes topic, ahem...

lol yeah yeah I'll get to it :P Been kinda busy with other parts of the site.

Ugh, I feel like a 13 year old girl who can't use facebook because the status updates are gone.

I still like the new layout, very pleasing to the eye. Things are starting to come together again ^_^

Yep, they are. When I get a few of those bugs sorted out I am planning to send out an email to all our members. Earlier than expected. We're facing a big challenge in gaining traction in Ace users with XP slowly dropping away. We're doing far better than we did on VX, although our most prosperous times were post-VX anyway.

My plan to compete is simply with a superior website. I've taught myself quite a lot just for this goal :P  One major component is missing though. So far I have focused only on content sections. What we are missing is feedback sections. Again, the forums don't quite cut it.

One thing I am considering is something like this, a web deb/design feedback community http://forrst.com/posts Creating a completely custom section for purpose of game dev feedback could be potentially very useful. If we make the games section stricter, or at least divide games that are more established, then we can use this feedback section for smaller demo's, stories, maps, etc. The replies are strictly feedback only. Chuck in a few points per feedback given, and a separate feedback given count.

Yes! The header image gives homeage to VX! I've wanted this for so long...

Also, the new look is very clean, I wish the status updates would be on the bottom right like they used to be. You didn't have to go out of your way opening another link to find it, it was just there to see while you're browsing.

I'll see what I can do. It's been something like 9 months since it was last there, but now that's broken and causing an error deep in IPB's prototype javascript (meaning I'm lost to fix it), it may be better to just recreate one real quick. I'm backed up with assignments for a while though, so I won't be able to spend so much time until after.

Also the header image is just there coz it looks better than the others. Although of course I'm not going to put an XP image up there. I was messing around one night and made that (I've got a few other concepts too) and that was one of the first things I made for this update.

There was this logo made by Chief. He didn't quite get the name right, although I am considering changing the name back. I took a punt with changing GDU to RMU, and it turns out I was wrong. The only remaining reason I don't go back to the name GDU is because it's probably a bad look to change names once again in such a short space of time

3dee725159309ab38c2994f7757eaa53.png

I'm surprised every time I come by here. Great work, Marked.

Couldn't help but notice the Killzone Shadow Fall banner on the main page. Go Team PS4!

Will take some getting used to, 3rd time i thought i was on a different site :b
but still everything looks really great, and that resource page <3

I'm surprised every time I come by here. Great work, Marked.

Couldn't help but notice the Killzone Shadow Fall banner on the main page. Go Team PS4!

Maybe you should visit more often, that way you will get surprised far less per visit :)

Will take some getting used to, 3rd time i thought i was on a different site :b

but still everything looks really great, and that resource page

Ah, I thought you may not like it. It's definitely a work in progress. It takes way too long to load, I'm not sure everyone has seen the slide down feature because it's too long to load. I need to create thumbnails to reduce loading times, add more info to the thumbnails, build on the image-view pages, create a licensing system and of course... building an uploader :P It takes so long when you build everything yourself.. :cry:

Maybe you should visit more often, that way you will get surprised far less per visit :)

I love surprises!

Your hard work shows. 

Fooking amazing Mark! It's amazing to see how far we've come since the original days.

Yup, we've come a long way. Fortunately I developed a hobby out of web development and it's actually getting me through uni (Scored 2 web dev jobs using the site as a reference). It's been a long journey, last month it ticked over 7 years since I started. It hasn't been easy. I've been having dilemmas of faith. But there's a fight to be fought.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like almost 'everything' isn't working for me. Most of the pages I go to in my settings error out, I can't see my notifications even if it says there's 3 new ones, etc etc.

Thanks for the report. As the title says, this was a rushed release. To integrate the forums and website like we do requires a unique system and for each forum upgrade there are a bunch of files that need to be edited to get it working. This upgrade has been particularly buggy, but I'll try to get these fixed asap.

EDIT: After several hours of experiments I have tracked down how to fix the array of errors across the forums. It's not an easy fix, but it should be done either today or tomorrow.

EDIT2: Those errors should be fixed now. I've also replaced the forums avatar changer with my own, which is accessible both in the forums settings and from the global settings menu. The forums still have a lot of messy bits to be tidied up, but at least the functionality should be improved.

Yup, we've come a long way. Fortunately I developed a hobby out of web development and it's actually getting me through uni (Scored 2 web dev jobs using the site as a reference). It's been a long journey, last month it ticked over 7 years since I started. It hasn't been easy. I've been having dilemmas of faith. But there's a fight to be fought.

I agree and I understand. I've been standing beside you the whole way. This site is a marvelous thing. It stands out against most IPB sites I've been too. I can tell you put time work and effort into it. Keep on trucking we can do it.

I say keep everything as it is right now and just change you nice header using the same font and everything back to GD Unlimited because then it would pair up with the url nicely again. Or just put it together and go Game Dev Unlimited -RM LOL!

I am very impressed by the change in the forums. It looks absolutely amazing now, Marked. :)