New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Dragon324

Project Spark

I know its been a while since I been on this site, and I hope this is the right place to post this and hopefully you all will find this as interesting as I did (hopefully also I did not miss the posting of it).

If you ever felt like RPG Maker was a little to limited for what you wanted to do for one reason or another then look no further. Project Spark is a game making software that is currently in development that will be released sometime around the release of the new consoles for PC, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. When the software launches it will be totally free, so there is no worrying about having to pay out cash to use it. So how does Project Spark work?

1. First thing you do is pick how you want to start, from what I understand you can choose to pick from a template from the project spark team, a template from the community, or start from scratch. You can also choose the type or genre of game you want to create, so you are no longer stuck with a certain kind. The system features autopaint and voice commands, that allow you to quickly make different kinds of lands and then go in to make finer edits. 

2. When making your land you can choose to what scale things like trees will become, and remember this is a 3D game maker which means you will be able to add hills and cliffs (ect.). Everything in Project Spark has a brain which is simple and easy to edit with commands like, IF, When, and How. This sort of reminds me of eventing in RPG Maker with conditional branches and variables. Everything in Project Spark can be broken down from its pieces and put back together to make something totally unique.

3. The community in Project Spark is connected, meaning sharing content has never been eaiser. You can also take something someone else has built and add to it (Credit will still be given to the original author and you!). Also has people play your game you can actually see how they made it (like seeing the DNA of game and how it works). Also there is no more difference between play testing and editing because now you can do both at the same time!. 

I hope I have sparked your interest, and here are some videos...., also you can sign up for the beta here https://joinprojectspark.com/

Community Montage: 

Intro Trailer: 

Interview Gamespot E3: http://screen.yahoo.com/project-spark-e3-2013-stage-004724454-cbs.html

Wow! That is impressive!

I wonder what the PC requirements will be. Probably something very hard core.

Well I did not know they posted something but I thought I'd google it since you asked and I found this which seems reliable from E3. Seems like the predicted is as follows:

Intel CPU= Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06GHz

AMD CPU= Athlon II X2 270

Nvidia GPU= GeForce GTS 250

AMD GPU= Radeon HD 6670

Ram= 4GB

Direct X= Direct X 10

HDD Space= 5GB

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=8091&game=Project%20Spark

You can even log in to compare your computer specs with the link above. 

this does look interesting, I like the fact that it'll be free.

but i'll wait to make a judgement when it comes out.

Looks interesting... but it seems unrealistically ambitious and they are emphasizing on the social aspect not the actual game making, which makes me skeptical overall.

S>O>B>! I want it...dammmit.

oh crap.

Looks interesting... but it seems unrealistically ambitious and they are emphasizing on the social aspect not the actual game making, which makes me skeptical overall.

They are emphasizing the social aspect because its something that other Game Engines fail to incorporate. Sure now we can make games and share them but project spark wants to take it further. That we can take elements from games take them, change them, and see how the author did it while at the same time providing a vast network of games for people to play. You no longer have to go to certain sites just to hear about a game, or see a post (while that option is still available) you can find it on project sparks server. Also your forgetting at the time I posted that info we had only knows about project spark for less than a week so give it time.

Anyhow I found two new videos which go into a bit more detail about project spark:

1st video talks and shows what you can do with commands 

the 2nd video shows more about the artistic style and mapping in project spark 

Also I have seen posts and talks about people making things like TV episodes with fully voiced dialogue, pianos that the player can actually play almost like a real piano, this forum talks more about some other things http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/13/4428336/project-spark-build-a-game-microsoft-sandbox

Lastly I will probably keep this updated every week or two depending on how much information I receive, and since I recently purchased a mic for my computer and game recording software I'll make and upload a video as soon as (assuming) I get into the beta ( also assuming I'm allowed to) :)

I hate to say it but the Spark forums are more active than here and it isnt even out yet!!

Of course it is. The same way the Unity forum used to be active when the engine was new.

I have been using Kodu until spark comes out.

and you forgot the duh.