New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

RMU development to stop

So you're just saying you're not gonna keep upgrading the code and website more?

okay

That's 99% correct, yes. Basically I don't want to waste anymore time and focus on my study and making more money (it's hard to save these days).

Marked may you please make a topic about building activity and gaining membership? I would like the forum's top members to strongly and seriously disgust ways to make this place more active. 

*discuss :P Lol why? What is it you plan to achieve? No one has argued me on my point that there's longer any point because there's an official site now, sites like these aren't needed anymore for RPG Maker. I said I wouldn't waste me time on another type of game dev site. But if I made that topic, I'd be encouraging people to waste their time on a project I don't have any faith in. There's only so far sentiment will take the site. No one has suggested getting rid of the RPG Maker focus. I guess none of you want that.

That's 99% correct, yes. Basically I don't want to waste anymore time and focus on my study and making more money (it's hard to save these days).

*discuss :P Lol why? What is it you plan to achieve? No one has argued me on my point that there's longer any point because there's an official site now, sites like these aren't needed anymore for RPG Maker. I said I wouldn't waste me time on another type of game dev site. But if I made that topic, I'd be encouraging people to waste their time on a project I don't have any faith in. There's only so far sentiment will take the site. No one has suggested getting rid of the RPG Maker focus. I guess none of you want that.

Game Development Unlimited's purpose was to get ride of the RPG Maker focus. The main focus would be for all game development. Was this even advertised to other indie game developers? I think GDU had potential. However, it needed members who are using many different game development programs. 

I think this site is needed. The official site will only create a monopoly. If you're not welcomed at the official site such as me(I was offended by their staff allowing members to lie about black history and make racist comments) then you're homeless. 

I think this site is needed. The official site will only create a monopoly. If you're not welcomed at the official site such as me(I was offended by their staff allowing members to lie about black history and make racist comments) then you're homeless. 

Yeah, I thought you had defected over there. I don't go there. Maybe you wouldn't be here if we weren't so accepting of you. I don't know anything about their staff and know anyone on it, but I know whoever runs their facebook page is a little bitch. I duno how they get got in charge of running the official site. I was worried from day 1 about them creating a monopoly with it. It's unfortunate. It takes away choice and the diverse web experience we use to have. At least they knew when to quit.

Game Development Unlimited's purpose was to get ride of the RPG Maker focus. The main focus would be for all game development. Was this even advertised to other indie game developers? I think GDU had potential. However, it needed members who are using many different game development programs.

Actually the purpose of GDU when it went live was to be for all game makers, not to get rid of RPG Maker. RPG Maker was always still there and it ended up being an RPG Maker forum branded for all game development. We don't necessarily need members who are using different game development programs, all we need is members who make games.

not even active anymore

I'm active..... just not online HS life is quite tough

only went online when i saw this topic posted

No!!! I just can't face it! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: !

NO!! NO!! DON'T CLOSE THIS SITE! I'm willing to spend months to become

scripter! (If that help the cause!)

And yeah! I will try to invite more members in!

(P.S : my grammar and everything in english, become much better and i become

more socialize. So, please don't close this site down.. It be too much for me!)

Cheer up!

Well if you won't update the site anymore, I'd at least like to see something that is currently unfinished, finished. And I'm way too serious about you updating the quotes system.

Some of you are failing to understand Mark's anouncement. It's not an issue of whether or not the site is worth it, it's simple fact that it's already dead, you guys that stick around are simply doing CPR to it to keep it's heart beating. There's no really going back from where we are. It wasn't due to mismanagement, it wasn't due to us not being friendly enough, it wasn't even due to some sort of lack of advertisement.

There simply isn't much hype about rpg maker anything, these days. Plus, with the introduction of Enterbrain having its own forums, it sort of ruined the prospect of creating your own community around their software.

I support Mark's decision, as should you all. That doesn't mean we can't do something new instead, but if we were to create a more general themed community, we would need members with projects that were being created on other engines besides RM, or we'll be stuck in the same rut that we are now. We cannot boast of being a general indie site and display only RM projects. I hate to say this, but people on other engines, or those who write their own engines really look down on RM as if it was a child's toy. We would need other projects to dhow on display so we could feel much more open to all developers.

It's sad to see you stop with the website. But I had already told you not to make this website fully about RPG maker ^^

RPG maker is just completely dead, I would even call it abandonware. VX ace brought almost nothing new.

Perhaps you shouldve kept RMU for the RM lovers, and made GDU on a new domain for people who are here for.. non RM.

Oh well, I don't really think you will change your mind. It is also a bit too late. Good luck in the future I would say!

Yeah, good post Chief.

But I had already told you not to make this website fully about RPG maker ^^

Yeah. I couldn't get around the fact that everything we had was RPG Maker related. I wasn't willing to get rid of that and I'm still not. Perhaps I could have minimized it somewhat. Who knows.

Well... if you say so... You're a very good admin. (I still remember when i type my post

all over like this : Hey Everyone! I Want to Blah.. and yeah. you and other member help me to fix the

Capital Case problem.)

So, if you want to close this site down, i respected that. But i will not forgot the good times here..

If i met enterbrain people, i bit their head down like zombie. >.< (Just kidding. LOL)

*discuss :P Lol why? What is it you plan to achieve? No one has argued me on my point that there's longer any point because there's an official site now, sites like these aren't needed anymore for RPG Maker.

Nope! That's the opposite. We need this site. It members are kind and welcoming. I still remember when you all welcomed me.. The supports are also good. So i disagree with : sites like these aren't needed anymore for RPG Maker.

(p.S : I really hope you change your mind..)

Peace and Cheers!

last time cry : :cry:

Edited by Calvinchun

If you guys really want this place to be successful then we need to post more. I don't mean spam type posts. We need quality posts. Even the active members rarely post. When I was active, I posted much more often. I plan to do so once again as my activity increases. 

Well damn... I've been gone for a few weeks with personal issues and all this happens. All the issues and everything I would have said has already been said, so.. Yeah. We'll see what happens.

Damn. All good things must come to an end I suppose, but I really love RMU. :'( I'd be grief stricken if this site goes down. This is the first forum I ever became active in and my first RM forum. :(

But this doesn't have to be goodbye. You guys can add me on Skype. We can even make a chatroom called RMUnlimited! :D Just make sure you send me a note that says you're from RMU or else I'd probably not add you.

My Skype is rgangsta2. 

Edited by rgangsta

Its sad to hear that you are giving up on a passion, but I understand all to well that life does not really allow us to have much time for side projects, but the important thing is that you feel like what you are doing is right and you have no regrets :).

However I do feel that while the development of games has been slowing that at the moment its just a phase. With new game creation kits like project spark that I showed ( which you find here http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/9742-project-spark/, which also I'll be updating in a second) that things will be getting more active (at least for a time). I have always felt that while RPG Maker was impressive but, to achieve my dream game I would have to study scripting and have artistic talent which I don't just have and don't have time anymore to learn, however project spark looks to make this easier. Also RPG Maker has been around for a long time and therefore it over the years has started to dwindle. That is why I do feel that with something new and expansive like RPG Maker people will become interested again ( doesn't hurt moving from 2D starting artistic style to 3D).

Also I to have similar feelings of the open and welcoming staff and members that are here in the forums being one of the few places that did not care how terrible at game making I was when I thought I was awesome and tried to help me anyway, and while I have been inactive I usually go inactive due to life issues and while I don't share those with anyone its usually cause its not safe to be around me lol :).  So in the end I guess I'm saying as evidence by the number of posts people have been putting don't count this website out yet ^^ not by a long shot. 

I was thinking about adding Ouya and Project Spark alongside the engine tabs.

dc4dfcef775cc321411d7e0da3ecd81c.png

It might not help our activity, but it will connect indie game dev's to more methods of game making.

Its sad to hear that you are giving up on a passion, but I understand all to well that life does not really allow us to have much time for side projects, but the important thing is that you feel like what you are doing is right and you have no regrets :).

I'm not sure I can say I have no regrets. I took a risk which didn't pay off. I suspected the changing tides would lead to this result, not matter how hard I worked. I severely underestimated the time it would take to develop what I have. But it was not a waste. People are still coming here, even if they're leeches that are getting some benefit. Here are RMU stats comparing the last month to the month before that. Everything is in the green, except % of new visits, which means there's an ever so slight increase in people coming back.

013ef3d1329cd72bb4812fb1ce257de5.png

Anyway, I have a deep dark secret. It looks like this:

ba8d2e5bb5925abcbb5d66a9e59abc96.png

It's certainly not over for RMU. I will soon start looking for a replacement admin who I want to have full discretion over the direction of the site to make it successful. I have not given up on it's success, but I will focus my time on developing elsewhere. Surely there is someone interested in inheriting 22k visits and 76k pageviews per month.

Some of you are failing to understand Mark's anouncement. It's not an issue of whether or not the site is worth it, it's simple fact that it's already dead, you guys that stick around are simply doing CPR to it to keep it's heart beating. There's no really going back from where we are. It wasn't due to mismanagement, it wasn't due to us not being friendly enough, it wasn't even due to some sort of lack of advertisement.

There simply isn't much hype about rpg maker anything, these days. Plus, with the introduction of Enterbrain having its own forums, it sort of ruined the prospect of creating your own community around their software.

I support Mark's decision, as should you all. That doesn't mean we can't do something new instead, but if we were to create a more general themed community, we would need members with projects that were being created on other engines besides RM, or we'll be stuck in the same rut that we are now. We cannot boast of being a general indie site and display only RM projects. I hate to say this, but people on other engines, or those who write their own engines really look down on RM as if it was a child's toy. We would need other projects to dhow on display so we could feel much more open to all developers.

I only partially disagree with this. RPG Maker has gained a lot more outside recognition recently than it has before, along with the independent game development scene as a whole. Commercial games and kickstarters involving RPG maker are vastly increasing in numbers, which RPG Maker Web supports pretty fully, to the point where RPG Maker is slowly losing its "underground" title.

You have a point, though. There isn't as much incentive to run a website based on RPG Maker as in the past due to the fact that Enterbrain finally launched an English forum for everyone to congregate to, and the other RPG maker sites right now that are still surviving are those that offer something that has great support/resources for the current maker (RPG Maker VXAce.net) or those that offer a completely different site structure and allow games made in engines other than the RPG Makers (RMN). RMU's page update was a huge step forward, but I'll be honest, aside from it's GREAT remaining support for RMXP (it seems the majority of the community has abandoned that maker as a whole, makes me feel old. :( ), it has little to offer to stand up to the competition.

It's sad to see the development stop for this site, though. It kind of seems like a lot of the older XP-oriented sites are going downhill from their glory days (rmxp.org/HBgames and RRR, for instance). I wish you luck on your future endevours, Marked. :)

If I may, I think that building a website/community around RPG Maker is restrictive in the extent that RPG Maker is restrictive itself. RPG Maker adresses to amateur gamemakers with little to no knowledge in programming, who wish to make RPGs exclusively. While I'm sure there's a good number of people who match those criteria, those who don't will never even give RPG Maker a try, and in turn never consider joining a community like ours, which is a shame because their insight and works could very well interest RPG Maker users after all. They might even give the inspiration to try something else and let people expand their horizons. I'm saying because I'm kinda borderline myself, I mean I don't use RPG Maker properly speaking since I don't make any games with it, I'm just a geek who likes to script for the sake of it, just not enough to script with something other than RGSS. Ideally, I would have a game-making software able to do anything from platformers to RTS, with a better extension support than a mere script editor (which is what I'm currently building by the way, if you followed my activity in the last two months). But seeing as how this website revolves around RPG Maker; I might think, as an outsider, that this is not the place for me to be. I have no clue about RPG Maker's actual popularity to be honest but I do know that those who want to create their very own, unique games, and have some programming knowledge or at least the will to learn that, turn away from it because it has too many drawbacks, and is designed to make a single, very specific type of games. So I'm definitely not suggesting to drop RPG Maker at all, but perhaps expanding the community's scope to other softwares/other genres might interest more people in joining. Now the question is - what do we want to be? A community of game-makers or a community of RPG Makers users?

@Ratty & Moonpeal: two great posts, I basically agree with all points.

This website was created for supporting specific engines, thus we have categories in the scripts and tutorials based on engines. Therefore it was created with expansion beyond RPG Maker in mind.

I plan to add to the engine tabs and provide some basic info about other indie game-dev possibilities (Right now I'm thinking Ouya and project Spark). But it may be no more than a mere advertisement. It depends.

If expansion does happen, it will not be under me. As I said above, I intend to look for passionate game-devs who want to take the reins of this site. I'm just a web developer now. I only ever was an RPG Maker XP user.

It may be tough going finding anyone willing to inherit this, but I'm currently planning something else which I will announce in the coming days. The truth is, I might not be able to help developing until I graduate (in exactly 1 year from now). I will announce it soon to offset the effects of this topic (hopefully. I would prefer to keep it more of a secret to things are more clear), but nothing that I have said thus far has changed.

Well one of the sites competing site VXACE.net has been down for more than a week. RMU+1

When is spark coming out I am going to try to get it.

Edited by ShinGamix