New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Saltome

[RMXP] Training Project

Hello boys and girls, this is an invitation to all new members to join a training project, which will give you a chance to learn about making games and gain the skills needed to make games in rpg maker xp, while you can still influence the creative process. This project is intended as a proving ground and my main purpose will be to guide you trough the development process and help you solve any problems you face, but I will avoid getting into it unless it's necessary.

I won't specify any details in advance so when people join they can choose them by themselves. If you are interested or have any questions feel free to leave a reply or send me a personal message.

I like this idea a lot. I can easily invision a standalone forum(s) for solely this purpose. I know we don't have many Ace users, but it would be great to get an expert in that to do something like this as well. Even on this site, Ace has taken over XP as the dominant content in terms of views. XP will be 10 years old next year D:

Would be nice but it needs to lift off first. And that's up to the newbies.

What it really needs is people joining the forum, I will monitor the introductions section waiting for potential recruits, maybe pull a string or two around the web.

I saw your invitation in the article thread i just finished reading, and while i am humbled at the idea of learning the intricacies of RPG, i'm afraid our engines don't match.  You state you train using XP, I build games using ACE.  

Not entirely sure what kind of plans you had, if you can still work with me despite the different engines, because i had some experience in XP, even though i never finished a game with it, I have found ACE to be the holy grail for me with a gaming engine.  

Indeed I use XP, but in life you have to adapt to survive. I suppose it's time for me to upgrade, but that's gonna have to wait a while.

I will keep you in mind and leave you a message once I have the time to get organized.

Once upon a time I replied to this, then my post went ~poof~ (or perhaps the squirrels are loose in my marbles again).  So anyway, I can prolly help with this, if you want.

Hmm, I'm subscribed to the topic, if you did I would have received an email, maybe something went wrong while posting.

When you say help, do you mean joining in, or actually helping me to run the project?

Um... either?  I can join-in/contribute mapping/artwork/storyline stuff, or help advise people in ways to use photoshop for tile/sprite/etc. creating/editing.  I can also experiment with eventing and/or break things by attempting to script...  I'm pretty good at following directions (unless it's a recipe) so I guess it really depends on which type of what you need.

Indeed I use XP, but in life you have to adapt to survive. I suppose it's time for me to upgrade, but that's gonna have to wait a while.

Moving from XP to VX isn't "upgrading" anyways, rather trading some limitations for others. I stick to saying that all in all, XP allows for more customization.

Oy. Moon. You wanna join in? We can use an experienced scripter.

phiona, you will do fine, I'll go organize it now and pm you when I'm ready.

Oy. Moon. You wanna join in? We can use an experienced scripter.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, you're asking me to go back on my vow to never use RPG Maker again. :p But what's the point of an experienced scripter to join a project for people who want to train exactly?

Come now Moon Moon, "vow" my ass. Weren't you the one offering their help to our cute new member the other day? ;)

The point is helping others learn, making the team more efficient and overally boosting it's potential.

As for you, you get gratitude and fame. The chance to learn something new or find a new challenge. An opportunity to make contacts or even to do something undone.

Come now Moon Moon, "vow" my ass. Weren't you the one offering their help to our cute new member the other day? ;)

Well yes, because she's cute. :P And more importantly because I like her ideas. I'm a pretty picky person you know. I don't like mainstream and popular stuff, so I don't think I would be a fit for a project anyone can join.

The point is helping others learn,

I'm always there to help people with their scripting issues, I don't need to be part of any projects for this.

making the team more efficient and overally boosting it's potential.

How? By scripting myself? That's a bit counterproductive if people are to learn to script themselves isn't it?

As for you, you get gratitude and fame.

Fame as a RPG Maker scripter, huh. I think I'm already as famous as I want to be.

The chance to learn something new or find a new challenge.

Well, that's the point: my newest challenge is to manage without RPG Maker, and I'm learning a lot of stuff I could never have in 6 years of scripting with it.

An opportunity to make contacts

Well maybe but I don't have a good experience with contacts made from joining a project, perhaps my obnoxious side.

or even to do something undone.

Sorry?

Now don't get me wrong, I think this training project is a great idea, I just seriously doubt I can give it what you'd expect of me. My time with RPG Maker is definitely over and I will script for it only when I feel like it and the way I like, with no constraints whatsoever. If something catches my eye at a later stage of the project I will consider giving it a try, but should that happen it will be once in a while, and I don't wish to commit to anything otherwise. Good luck with your reccruitment.

Well if that's how you wanna be I'm not gonna chase after you. It's not my place to teach rogue scripters about teamwork. When you are ready you will find me.

I don't mean to brag, but i'm a rather talented eventer (at least I think so) and I wouldn't mind contributing. If you need a good eventer that is.

comm'on guys. read the dates before replying -_-;

the last post here was half a year ago. this topic is dead.

in other forums you'll get a warning for "necro posting".

the idea is good, though. why won't one of you start a new topic, offering help/asking for help.

Whoops, my bad D: I just noticed the newest post was so recent I didn't realize it was a necro. My apologies.

comm'on guys. read the dates before replying -_-;

the last post here was half a year ago. this topic is dead.

in other forums you'll get a warning for "necro posting".

the idea is good, though. why won't one of you start a new topic, offering help/asking for help.

I'll be a little bit more chill this time and give Saltome 5 more days to post before I say It's dead.

You mean I actually have to get involved with my own idea? :v

I'll keep you guys in mind, but there isn't really anyone interested in actually learning, so we are pretty much stuck, and I wouldn't really think of asking for your help unless there are more applicants than I can handle. Of course, if any of you wishes to further their unterstanding of rpg maker, I will gladly help.

P.S.: You guys picked a great time to have this discussion, when I wasn't able to use my pc.

Edited by Saltome

Did you happen to check the date of the last post before posting?  This is a two year old thread.

Ha, thanks for following my link, Ryan. Though in all honesty I should probably close this topic. RMXP is outdated, it was already outdated when I started the topic in the first place, hence the "major success". Of course, I'm always happy to help if I can.

Just looking at your message regarding mm:r and thought I'd put in my two cents about appreciating some guidance on getting gud with it although this will probably be my only rmxp project! Thanks for the response sir!

Edited by Ryan Ferris