New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

New forum system

Hi guys,

I have decided to break one of my most treasured coding achievements; the perfect theme integration between website and forum.

While the new system may not be perfect, it shouldn't be noticeable that the two are running on different applications. Previously the forum was run through the website, thus perfect theme integration, but at the cost of a lot of functionality issues.

On the upside, we should have a near fully functioning forum back and no long have the issues we've been having for almost a year now. It will also allow new administrators to take better control of the forums.

At the time of writing of this, things are pretty buggy. I'm having a few issues with still with the website and forum trying to get along; both want to run at the same time, so I'm working on that asap. The new skin design is also a WIP.

Feel free to report bugs. Hopefully there's not too many :oops: Some things are going to be inaccessible for the new few hours while I get stuff working. It was working perfectly fine on the dev server... typical.

lol, another forum update...after you told us there wouldn't be anymore. I knew you were too addicted to this place to leave it alone :P

on that note, my first bug report. In the announcement bar it shows:

post-16514-0-43075200-1377681831_thumb.jpg

Haha :blush: This was needed though. The forums are essentially working properly now, and it should load quick and also have its own mobile theme.

It's also still integrated in several ways. For example, the header uses the same code and the layout CSS + images are all from the same files.

I uploaded these new changes before work and run into way more issues than I anticipated. Only now at 9pm did I manage to get things working :exhausted: The member integration system just decided to kill itself but I managed to come up with a dirty hack to get everything running. I need a break *grabs vita*

on that note, my first bug report. In the announcement bar it shows:

attachicon.gif111.jpg

Donno if you saw this, i edited the post 30 seconds before your post, so you were probably typing when this went up.

Also i was having issues displaying the image because the attachment program sets file as a weird string for it's location and file name.

http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1713

and when i try to input that in the image tag i get an error saying that this file type is not accepted by our forum.

were is the upload feature  :oops:

I think right now you need to use the attachment feature in the Full Reply Editor.

were is the upload feature  :oops:

Hiding at the moment, but I'll get it back soon :)

EDIT: I just put it back up, it's working but the styles are all messed up. I'll fix that some time. I'm going to be doing some design work soon and a major cleanup of the site soon.

Oh,,I love it!

gdunlimited was about to dead,It's so good to see you updating the forums again :heart: It makes me be more active
Waiting for more updates.

something minor i hope.  the main forum page, the main page where all the different forums are, the text seems way too small.  others might be able to read it, but i have bad eyesight.  any chance you could increase the size or have some feature where the user could increase the size?

@railfan101   Dunno if it's quite what you wanted, but if you have a mouse with a scrollie wheel you can hold down the control key and scroll up to zoom in and make the text bigger (on any web page).

Edited by phionabrie

Looking good, it seems that when I go for a period of time, this place just keeps getting better :D

@railfan101   Dunno if it's quite what you wanted, but if you have a mouse with a scrollie wheel you can hold down the control key and scroll up to zoom in and make the text bigger (on any web page).

That might actually be a better idea than trying to enlarge text solely on one website.

Thanks for the tip, i didn't know you could zoom into a webpage in that way.  

Well it looks cool, but  I have one question. The status update link seems to have moved again. Where is it?

I think what you're looking for is under the drop down box when you click your name for the profile on the left hand side under the quote bar.

Oh. So where's the "all statuses" page?

edit: oh, I found them. they're at the bottom of the forums page

Edited by Bob423

something minor i hope.  the main forum page, the main page where all the different forums are, the text seems way too small.  others might be able to read it, but i have bad eyesight.  any chance you could increase the size or have some feature where the user could increase the size?

You're right, it is a bit small. I'll fix that when I have time. It should be readable for everyone.

Well it looks cool, but  I have one question. The status update link seems to have moved again. Where is it?

Right now the board index is almost default. By default the link is at the bottom of the status update box in the sidebar.

Oh,,I love it!

gdunlimited was about to dead,It's so good to see you updating the forums again :heart: It makes me be more active

Waiting for more updates.

Blasphemy :P I've got more updates planned. At least this is a step in the right direction in terms of quality. Should be good for speed and SEO too :)

Yea it seems ALOT faster to me. before it would lock up my browser for a good 10sec on load but now it doesnt :) .

in the blogs section, the add entry button gives this error

"Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/marked/public_html/forums/admin/applications_addon/ips/gallery/sources/classes/gallery/image.php on line 3413

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/marked/public_html/forums/admin/applications_addon/ips/gallery/sources/classes/gallery/image.php on line 3413

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home/marked/public_html/forums/admin/applications_addon/ips/gallery/sources/classes/gallery/image.php on line 3413"

but still seems to work if you click on the blog first and dont use the options drop down menu

Edited by Bob423

Yea it seems ALOT faster to me. before it would lock up my browser for a good 10sec on load but now it doesnt :) .

Oh :dizzy: If it were like that for me I woulda changed it a long time ago. Sigh... a year of the old system and here we are going back. It was a step backward, but we've made 1.5 steps forward :P

in the blogs section, the add entry button gives this error

Ok thanks Bobbles, I'll get around to that. Silly blogs. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Found another blog bug. Clicking the blog entries tab, and going to a blog that way on the forums page under the "other stuff" box gives a "Sorry, we couldn't find that!" error page.

Also I can't seem to edit blog posts. some of the "options" drop down menus seem to have glitchy links

Edited by Bob423