New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Enigma

FP14: The Heroes of RMU

Is your body ready?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is FP14 a go?

• Seems like we might as well try
    • I have some concerns (post them)

nSX7dMN.png

The year is 20XX, RM Unlimited is facing bankruptcy after attempting to acquire the now defunct Enterbrain and save the RPG Maker Engines, the only game engines left after the Second Video Game Crash. Only by banding together can the RMU community save not only RM Unlimited, but also the Game Industry and the entire World.

What is FP14?

The last hope for Humanity. Over the years of this site, many goals have been set and achieved. However, there is one challenge that has thus far eluded us to this day. An achievement that not only requires the perseverance and tenacity of this community, but also the ability to go beyond ourselves to serve the greater good. This is what a Forum Project is. The community must band together to make this one game for the sake of humanity and beyond.

How is this going to work?

Disney magic. The primary downfall of previous forum projects was due to many factors, including loss of interest and lack of participation. Rather than being community projects, they eventually centralized to the point of becoming a single person project. However, if we allow past failures to keep us from moving on then we will stagnate. So what can we do? Simple. We adapt and evolve. The logistics of FP14 will aim to capitalize on the sporadic nature of this community, incentivizing the process and turning it into a community competition. Furthermore, the development process will go as fast as we want to work, but the project will have weekly updates[stc] and will conclude within the year. Rather than positions, each and every member of the community will be able to work on anything they want within the project, with facilitators tying everything together. Rather than being a team project, FP14 will be a community project.

What does this do for me?

Ask not what your community can do for you, ask what you can do for your community. As a Community project each member will have the privilege to work with a team dedicated to completing the same goal. Whether it is only for a short time, or the entire project's life time, members will gain vital skills that they can use for both team and solo development. There is also credits, and if it goes commercial revenue will be divvied up accordingly. If you ever wanted to make the next "To The Moon", this is the best chance you're going to get.

I'm interested, sign me up!

Whoa there cowboy/cowgirl, hold your horses! This thread is simply an introduction to FP14 and is meant to gauge interest in the endeavor. If anyone has a questions and concerns, this is the place to put them while the Forum Project is starting up. Discussion will start soon; in the meantime, I will be lurking in the chat ready to discuss this topic with anyone who wants to.

Edited by Enigma

I'm surprised there are already so many votes, considering the state of the forum.

Now in order:

I don't really like the fact that it's set in the modern times, but other than that it's just crazy enough to work.

Unfortunately I highly doubt the members' ability to set their own interest back for the good of the forum.

As a matter of fact I'm positive that even if people help, sooner or later there will be nobody left.

But on the bright side this is the perfect place for new members to gain practical experience.

The other thing that concerns me is how will the workload be managed, like it or not, if there is no specific order it's going to turn into one big mess.

And in the end I will digress a little.

I have no idea why "To the moon" is the best known game outside of the rpg maker userbase.

There are better games around.

I would love for a forum project to succeed, but they always get deleted. I voted for "it seems like it will work". It would might help to make a dropbox for the project in which we can all share using the shared folder function. The one managing the game would house the dropbox and everyone helping would have a shared folder to add files towards the project.

I'm debating between a google drive folder and a dropbox folder(since it has version control)

WHY DONT YOU USE THE GAMES SECTION  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Ok, I have not coded in the features for you to acheive this. But I'm still pretty disappointed no one really mentioned it. I have been saying all along this would be a team management system as well. Tell me what you need and I'll code it. A basic filing sharing system? Pretty easy. 

I'm not sure which one is the best, but dropbox can cause conflict when you edit it simultaneously, though I'll recomend dropbox for easier file sharing. I'm not sure how SVN handle this since I'm rarely use it. And since I'm thinking that you can't working while on google drive, my choice is dropbox. Just make sure to have a backup in case someone messed up pretty bad :P

Edited by black mage