New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Metaclaw

which language should I learn?

hello! I'm looking for a new programming language to learn, beside Ruby.

what do you recommend?

I'm looking for a language with a "simple" syntax.

I'm inlove  in the way Ruby does things, how simple and read-able its syntax is, how it doesn't force you to mess with pointers or convert one type of data to another one, etc.

I've heard Python and Pearl are also like that, and also very "powerful": like, it takes only 1 line of code to copy something to the clipboard, download a file from the internet, etc. are they considered better than Ruby?

I'm assuming I'll need to install something to run programs made with those languages, but whatever. I can't be bothered with the likes of c++, and how long it takes to do the simplest of tasks. besides, some c# and c++ programs tend to make Avast antivirus/AVG antivirus go WILD and claim they're a virus, for no reason -- those anti-virus programs are just being lazy/dumb. major DO NOT WANT here. this doesn't happen in other languages as far as I know.

Gah!

I've never been good with programming with game engines.

i have a lot of typos in them. but i do have a skill where i understand them and i can edit them without making too much errors.

sorry dude i don't know anything similar like Ruby. However i do know Java even though i'm still learning it.

@Marked - no, not really. but I may decide to make a game / game engine eventually

@Omar, I started learning Java, but it was a long time ago.

it's useful to make windows/button/menus, right? I heard it's good to make games, too. and JavaScript can be used for inernet pages, and it's the same syntax.. right? it may be a good language to learn. do you know if Java 'forces' you to use pointers? and does it have a simple syntax? does it have built-in classes/methods to do complicated stuff, like showing animation, playing music, downloading files, doing visual effects on a picture, etc?

Well, it's almost an industry standard to use C#, so that's the path I'd go, personally. I just got into JavaScript, with Node.js, though.