New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
David Johnston

72 Hour Game Jam Contest?

72hr game contest.   

14 members have voted

1. 1. 72hr game contest. Keen?

• Yes
    • No

Should we discuss about the rules and other related stuff in the meantime?

Let me throw some example.

- Party members

Game Jam is done with team (It's called Jam for a reason). However, we have very small numbers of active members on the site, so making some team from the site is quite dificult. The alternatives is taking someone outside the forum and form a team or soloing everything.

- Content Restriction

All free resources available, or RTP only, or pre-made content are not allowed with RTP as exception or any other restriction.

- Specific Time as Standard

We use specific time limit as standard so everyone can start on the same time, or everyone is posting when they will start due the time difference or other real life restriction, assumed that the starting time is still tolerable to some extent.

etc, etc.

Since it is for fun, I think judge is not necessary. We can just throw some vote or something similar in case we need one :p

Good points there, Mage. I would like to work with one person outside of this forum, however I'll wait on the rules before I see if I can work the game jam myself or not. Depending on the number of maps and whether or not it's a small enough project for me to do entirely on my own, I'm curious to see if we can bring others into this.

And I'm all for the starting time being specified, since if I post my own time I'll most likely never find time on my own to start. D:

I have a question, can we use a framework?

What's a framework you may ask? A framework is something you made in the game engine that facilitates game development with a few basic custom features like common events and ready to use scripts. I developed my custom Framework when i lost my game and decided to work on a solid framework so working on a game would be easier to develop. My custom framework contains the basic RTP and some custom features like ready-set-pictures and common events. I even have ready-set switches and variables in the framework. What i would do is just make a game in 72 hours and submit it.

@Germany

I'd rather to not drag outsider on this, so I'll soloing everything, assumed that it's acceptable :annoyed:. Except someone want to take me on for the ride here ;).

@Omar

I think frameworks is fine, providing that most of it is just basic system or the core is available for public to use.

Question, do we have to use RMXP music and sound effects, or can we use existing music from other artists and musicians? Assuming the games don't go commercial, there shouldn't be a problem with copyright, I think. As for unpublished music that's still available on the internet, I could always ask the owners for permission.

There's no way I'm going to be able to make original BGM, in any case.

Edited by GermanyXItaly1000

Even thought the game is not going commercial, we should still respect the copyrighted music. We might not gonna have trouble with the copyright, but it's still a violation for the rights.

If you can get the permission, I think it's fine. Also, there's ton of free music out there that you can choose to use on your game.

However, Game Jam and similar event tends to have every resource to be made during the Jam or only use some basic resources that available for everyone or specified material that's been agreed to be able to use for the Jam, approved by the community. So, which one is us?

Point taken, Mage. I'll throw some caution to the wind and stick with free music this time.

However, Game Jam and similar event tends to have every resource to be made during the Jam or only use some basic resources that available for everyone or specified material that's been agreed to be able to use for the Jam, approved by the community. So, which one is us?

I'm not sure how many people here can sprite, but I know for sure that I'm useless at it. I either take a very long time to make something decent or take a very short time to come out with something... barely recognisable. Haha, that's probably just me, though. It would be a learning experience for sure, though. Time constraints + need for creating my own sprites would churn out some interesting results.

Also, about scripts. How are those going to be implemented? Eg, the ones that are available for public use. That fits with what you said about the resources, but I just wanted to put it out there since I'm heavily dependent on others' scripts. (I really need to learn how to script... maybe I can find some time to start in the next couple of weeks.)

Since I don't know how well everyone else is off making their own resources, I'll wait to hear more on this.

But my winter holidays have finally started, so I'm free to make a small game anytime.

As I'm not too good with creating resources, I'm hoping that at least the RTP is available for use.

About things other than RTP, perhaps people start listing what they want to use and make a collective list of it.

Just curious, are we must use specified engine?

Can someone with please start making an official rules or something similar so we can start discuss it properly without the need to grasp everything in darkness?

Edited by black mage

Well Im not the official on this. Im just the guy that suggested this idea. I was hoping Marked could put up official stuff but he hasnt been active for quite a while. For now Im just going to say use RMXP or RPGVX-ace, because some of us own 1 and not the other. 
Also I have 1 suggestion, I think this should be a MonoMyth type of game. Its basic and simple.
If you dont know what a monomyth is, its a story where theres 1 hero and he/she gets like some important quest, so. 
Oh theres this hero named David, he wants to take his fathers kingdom, but to do so his father will only let david have the kingdom if he goes on a quest to capture the golden fleece (Perhaps you guys have read a similar story) and david goes through all sorts of obstacles to get the fleece, ETC! basically his father just wanted him to die on his journey.  

The Hero's Journey guide is pretty wide open for interpretation. You could do a lot with it, which is why it shouldn't be one of the only rules. 

I'd prefer a limit on maps or something, since all the games have to be around the same size/time and all. With the Monomyth, you could create a game practically the size of Mad Father and still have it fulfill all the requirements. Hero goes on a journey to save/do one person/thing, ends up running into tons of obstacles, getting help from others, and building their character, etc.

So I'm all for any ideas in relation to the story, but it should fit the time/size limits. Although what I'd prefer is no or less limits on the story and creativity, since the "one-minded quest" idea can take a long time to flesh out and build decently. The Hero's Journey guide also has a lot of extra obstacles that I'd rather not create for the player in what I assume will be a short game.

owo What was this? Now I'm kinda interested

Mark didn't disappear he's just too busy to even be here. If Mark did have free-time he would gladly do it.

Then again this topic died off and well we all had "zero" interest until you yourself revived it :P

ohh I could possibly pull Germany back onto GDU for this (ovo) snice he seemed interested in it before!

I would say go for it, Omar, if you want to! ;D

It's an honor to do it. Ahh and it's the perfect time to create something like this, since of course it's summer.

However i would like to know when us members are capable of doing such thing. We can't have people dropping out because of "School work" or in general "work"

another thing i would need to see is the prizes that this contest will have. Don't know if i have to make them or the guy who created this topic made them.

But i'm more than happy to make this contest a reality, just to have fun with everyone. 

As long as i can make whatever i want in unity id totally join. I got a cool platformer game i can try to make.

another thing i would need to see is the prizes that this contest will have. Don't know if i have to make them or the guy who created this topic made them.

1st prize is RPG Maker VX Ace Steam Key or RPG Maker XP Steam Key. Pick One. :p

I have both unused in my possession, assumed they're not expired yet.

Well, there's other things I could offer, but let that be for now :D

did this ever happen?  It seems like a cool idea.  

I remember trying to advertise something similar last time i was here.  Didn't work.

did this ever happen?  It seems like a cool idea.  

I remember trying to advertise something similar last time i was here.  Didn't work.

It still didn't work. Too bad. :annoyed:

It still didn't work. Too bad. :annoyed:

:D

Having finished my SAT, I thereby take charge of this, will read all the past posts, and will arrange the rules based on past posts and any contribution people make from this post on. And ask people to contribute prizes and such. Although I am irresponsible, I am capable of drafting rules, asking the public opinion, setting a deadline, and sitting back. And possibly force Roochu to post this in News or something once it's up and running. 

I got a game plan if you let me roll. We cool? Not cool? Lemme know if you guys want me to handle this.

Because I got this. *rolls up sleeves*

Edited by Kitsuki