New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Another GDU4 Progress Update

GDU4. Remember that time in January 2017 where I said "I expect to launch GDU4 around 14 February.". That's probably because I bought a house and now getting married, etc. I delayed it for as long as possible but I'm growing up :(

Exciting times ahead for GDU though. There is a change in management in the pipeline, but I still need to get things organised for that happen.

In regards to GDU4, the upgrade to the new forum software it just too big of an ask for me to undertake. However all that work and effort is not lost - all the front-end dev work I've done for GDU4 can be recycled. It will still look like GDU4, but the software won't be as new - but you know what, I bet you guys can't even tell. I genuinely think that we have the tools here already to respark our community. The refinery and games section in particular, two platforms that I would love to continue to improve.    

Looking at recent activity, it's quiet on the board right now. So I thought I'd do something crazy - just start developing straight on the live server. As in, whip up the changes thus far and just start web devin' right in front of your eyes. Maybe I can complete the reskin of the website within a week. I think I will do that this Easter break. Be prepared! Following launch of GDU4, GDU will be ready for a change of hands. 

I suggest to change the "Games" icon. A quick glimpse on the header, I saw the trophy icon and think "Do we have an award section now?", and then I saw the letter "Games" and I just "Oh...". A joystick icon might be fine. :)

The avatar above the text was actually a mobile thing, it's supposed to be hidden on desktop before I deleted the relevant CSS. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I will change both of those things. 

The IDE program I was using has deleted something which has made other parts of the site inaccessable.. I'll fix that ASAP. Not sure what it was. 

I will work slowly on polishing off everything over the next few weeks. Should look nice and clean once it's done.

The other parts of the website are now up and running again. Before, everything was simply redirecting to the homepage.

I think the Refinery is also not functioning, i.e. you cannot submit posts etc. so that is next on my to-do list.

Feedback welcome, though I understand that's very difficult at this early stage. A lot of stuff will change, but namely in the way of tidying up.

Updates might be a bit slower from me. I've taken on a pretty sizable freelancing project so time is gona be really tight for a while. My focus will be making sure things work before they look good.