New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.

Author: Wachunga

Version: 2.0.1

Script Download

MapLinks_2_0_1.zip

Instructions

Installation

Paste the Object Table, Maplinks Region and Maplinks scripts into your project above main.

If you are not using the SDK I recommend that you install the SDK Interpreter Script Fix so that event command script codes will work properly.

Setup

To setup my maplinks script you need to edit its setup method to reflect your project.

For reference here is the demo's setup as well as a breakdown of how to configure yours.

Sample Initialize

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Setup Regional Data
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def setup
# Region['Field']
maps = Object_Table.new(4, 4)
maps[0,0], maps[1,0], maps[2,0], maps[3,0] =  1,  2,  3,  4
maps[0,1], maps[1,1], maps[2,1], maps[3,1] =  5,  6,  6,  7
maps[0,2], maps[1,2], maps[2,2], maps[3,2] =  8,  6,  6,  9
maps[0,3], maps[1,3], maps[2,3], maps[3,3] = 10, 10, 10, 10
Region.new('Field', maps, [15])
# Region['Name']
# etc.
update
end

Configuration

First of all, you must create an Object Table to hold the maps of your region.

The table's x and y sizes should equal the maximum number of maps set along each axis of the table.

If your region has more than one level or floor, you need to create a z axis as well.

The zsize of the three dimensional table should equal the number of floors in the region, dungeon etc.

maps = Object_Table.new(xsize, ysize)
or
maps = Object_Table.new(xsize, ysize, zsize)

Now you setup each map in your region by adding its id to its proper coordinates to the table.

maps[x,y], maps[x,y], maps[x,y], maps[x,y] = id, id, id, id

Finally, you have to use the maps table to create your region.

Region.new('Name', maps, disabled)

This reads the dimensions of each map in your region and joins them into a seamless region.

This script allows you to link the edges of maps together with but a single event, instead of putting one event per square on every square of the edge. Also, it frees up that last line, as you have to walk THROUGH the map edge in order to hit the transfer event. I'll upload a demo later, but here's the script. Just copy and paste it to a script box below Scene_Debug, but above Main (and if you have a Scene_Introduction, make sure it goes above that too). If I didn't explain well enough, I'll let Wachunga explain at the beginning of the script.

Compatibility

SDK compliant

Does not require the SDK

Aliases

Game_Temp.initialize

Game_Map.setup

Game_Player.check_event_trigger_touch

Game_Player.update

Scene_Title.command_new_game

Scene_Save.write_save_data

Scene_Load.read_save_data

Credits & Thanks

Wachunga - Creator of the Original Maplinks Script

G-man - Requested Leave Map Option

Regimos - Major Bug Report

Cheatking - Bug Report

Busbuzz - Bug Report

Author Notes

I've spent quite some time on this script and I'm still working on improving it. Feel free to post any questions, suggestions or feedback you have. If you find any errors please post your edited setup method and a screenshot of the error dialogue box.

Another script from your game. This is a very useful script for large world maps that are split up, which is something I wanted to do in a project. Dont understand how it works just yet, but im figuring that part out now.

hehe, thanks. It is a good script, I enjoy it. To think I got it out of a Zelda starter pack that no one ever completed...bing that it was done by 20 people, though, if the script doesn't have a name on it somewhere, I can't tell you what author it has, as none of the scripts have never (until now) been released individually.

Question, how do you get it to reference a map in a seperate region? Like for instance, say I had created a map that had Map 10 in the lower right corner, and there was a door, can I automatically set it up so that the door opened to map 8 in Region "Elsewhere"?