New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
EmilyAnnCoons

Holy Magic Century Remake

So, I'll start this up again one more time, and if we still don't get it done, we'll drop the whole idea...So, here's the new idea. Remaking Quest 64, which is known as Holy Magic Century (this game was chosen due to it being tied in 2nd place in the previous votes. It was tied with Pokemon)

Remake of Quest 64/Holy Magic Century

(Possibly...Holy Magic Century XP?)

Plot: Brian is a teenage kid who has been studying at a school of magic for many years now, when his father goes off on a quest to obtain the Eletale Book. When his father doesn't return, however, Brian sets out on a journey to find his father. Using the power of the Elementals, spirits that live within the world that give their power of controlling the elements to mages, he goes off, obtain the four Elemental Jewels, the four keys to the Eletale Book. At the end of his journey, he meets with his father in Brannoch Castle, where he finds King Beigis is trying to use the Eletale Book to unleash Mammon, the demonic embodiment of greed. Once King Beigis is defeated, Brian uses the Eletale Book to open a portal to Mammon's World, where he fights and destroys the evil beast once and for all.

Characters (as listed on wikipedia):

Brian- A young boy who has set out to save his father. He lives at Melrode Monastery, and is an apprentice magician with the ability to use Water, Fire, Wind, and Earth magic.

Lord Bartholomy- Brian's father and Master Spirit Tamer. He lives at Melrode Monastery and set out to get the Eletale Book which was stolen, but was subdued at Brannoch Castle before being able to continue.

Leonardo- Another apprentice magician like Brian who appears at Normoon and at Brannoch Castle near the end of the game. Though not a "main" character, he still manages to help Brian by providing healing items in a room within Brannoch Castle.

Leila- The guardian of Larapool, the city of water. She has the ability to control the water flow of the city, thus giving Brian access to Larapool's entrance to Blue Cave.

Colleen- A Sorceress who has protected the Water Jewel for generations is the only inhabitant of the Isle of Skye; her home is connected to Epona's home.

Epona- The mysterious seer who resides in the Blue Cave; her connection to the Isle of Skye gives Brian access to the Water Jewel. Later on, her powers allow her to enter Mammon's Dimension at the end of the game to provide aid to Brian.

King Scottfort - King of Kenneshire, rules over Dondoran Castle in Dondoran.

Queen Deanna- Queen of Carmagh, rules over Limelin Castle in Limelin and rules alone due to the death of her husband.

Prince William- The son of Queen Deanna and the crowned prince of Limelin.

King Beigis- Militant and power-hungry king of Highland, rules over Brannoch Castle in Brannoch Castle Town.

Fargo- Arsonist and thief who stole the Fire Ruby.

Nepty- Magician and thief who stole the Water Crystal.

Zelse- Magician in a group of vagabonds in Normoon and thief who stole the Wind Jade.

Solvaring- Self-proclaimed "King of the Beasts" and thief who stole the Earth Orb from the King of Dondoran.

Mammon- The demonic embodiment of greed who attempts to trick Brian into releasing him from his prison so that he may seek to possess the powers of the human spirit.

Shilf- Mammon's assistant, hiding in Baragoon Tunnel.

Shannon- A puppet created by Mammon for the sole purpose of leading Brian around the world to collect the Elemental Gems, and who, near the end of the game, threatens to kill Brian's father, Bartholomy, unless Brian kills King Beigis and opens the World of Mammon.

Guilty- King Beigis' monstrous looking apprentice, he has made Brannoch Castle Town a living mess with his magic experiments.

Places (as listed on Wikipedia):

Holy Plan- Located in Kenneshire, home of Dondoran and Melrode.

Dondoran Flats- area between Dondoran Castle and Loch Kilderey.

West Carmagh- Western portion of Carmagh bordered in the south by the Dindom Dries, in the east by Loch Kilderey, in the southeast by East Limelin, and in the north by Kenneshire. Home to Larapool and Normoon, as well as Cull Hazard and Blue Cave.

East Limelin- area between Highland in the south and West Carmagh to the northwest. Home to Limelin, capital of Camagh, and Baragoon Tunnel's north gate

Dindom Dries- Desert wasteland (caused by the Eletale Book) in northern portion of Highland bordered in the north by East and West Carmagh. Home to Ruins of Greenoch, Boil Hole's north gate, and Baragoon Tunnel's south gate. Has a huge phantom city in the middle of it named Shamwood .

Baragoon Moor- Located at the south-central end of Highland. Home to Brannoch Castle Town, capital of Highland, and Boil Hole's south gate.

Loch Kilderey Giant lake in the center of Celtland.

Isle of Skye- Island in the center of Loch Kilderey.

Cull Hazard- Cave linking Normoon to West Carmagh.

Boil Hole- Cave linking the Dindom Dries to Baragoon Moor and the hideout of Fargo.

Baragoon Tunnel- Mine shaft linking Dindom Dries to East Limelin and hideout of Shilf, Mammon's servant.

Blue Cave- Maze Cave in Larapool, it links Larapool with Glencoe Forest and Crystal Valley.

Glencoe Forest- Lies between Dondoran Flats and West Carmagh, east mouth of Blue Cave is here.

Windward Forest- Forest in West Carmagh separating it from Normoon.

Connor Forest- Forest between the Dondoran Flats and the Holy Plain.

Crystal Valley- Cavern under Blue Cave, home of Epona.

Connor Fortress-Fort in Connor Forest, hiding place of Solvaring.

For this we would need some scripters and music writers. The battle system would either need to be an ABS or a Tactical Battle System (TBS). The menu system would require a rework, due to the fact that it is a one person game, as well as being that the original menu was 4 screens: Elementals, Map, Stats, Items

There would need to be a system for the elementals. You gain them as you travel the game, and each elemental increases your power in one spell lore (Fire, Water, Earth, Air), with the player able to choose which the elemental will go in. It reaches a max of 50. As well, each level you earn an elemental, as well as some stat bonuses. The elementals (without leveling up) reach 50 in 2 skills, with the leveling up able to max out all elementals (though that would take FOREVER to obtain the other 98 via leveling). The player starts with a skill of 1 in each elemental as well (for those wondering the 98 thing).

The tricky part is allowing the player to pick and choose which spells to use. In the original game, you could hit a c button to open one of four lists (Fire, water, earth, and air). From there, you could hit another c button to open the list further and access new spells.

So, talk about it a bit and let's see what we can do...it might be easier to make this on AGS...but I'm not 100% sure.

Since there is no talk of graphics (portion i'm interested in ^^) so far i guess you're going with RMXP RTP? I might be interested in creating a couple of graphic pieces for characters or tilesets, but depends on what you're using though, are you going for the standard rtp graphics or are you planning to go original?

Imo there are enough pokemon games being created already even if most wont be completed, this is the better choice.

Actually, the hope is to make this game look like the original Quest 64, just in 2D, which means that all of the graphics would need to be custom. I think that we're okay with using the RTP tilesets for some of it, but we need custom tilesets for things like Beigis castle, Limbo (there's a lot of areas in Limbo in the game that are wacked out), and we definitely need monsters. If you can think up a monster, we can probably use it. In the original game they had fish-on-pencils as a monster...I want this to look a little more serious, though. I plan to use some of the RTP monsters (like goblins, kobolds, etc.) but we definitely need more.

I will try working on a template for this game later on today and i'll put it up soon as i have the frontal frame, depending on how my attempt turns out this would be better than using that crappy looking RMXP template (imo) if you planned to go that way.

Also if you plan to use some rtp tileset parts then i suppose the character template should be more or less about the same height of the RMXP RTP temp?

Not really into monster making here (might try that out depending on the battle system though) but if i join up in the end count me in for character and tileset work ^^.

shouldnt we have a new voting poll? suggest new ideas for games? To be honest, Quest 64

wasn't that good,it was fun,but...eh. I like working on original game ideas,not remakes,emulators,etc.

Besides,out of 32 votes,only 5 people actually liked this idea.

It's true that only 5 people voted on this game, but the votes were 12 (or was it 11?) for the Final Destiny, 5 for this, and 5 for pokemon, followed by 2s and 1s for everything else. I have no current interest in working on a pokemon game, thus, I am going with the other one that had 5 votes. I'm working as leader this time to see if we can get some more people involved, as well as getting stuff done. If I can't do it...then it just means we don't really have the support to work on a whole-forum project.

Quest 64 was an okay game, yes, I'll give you that. But what made Quest 64 only okay instead of good was some of the systems. I want to use a new battle system, and the monsters and bosses will be much better. I think the main thing that really hurt the game was...no work was put into it. If we beef the game up, add some nice monsters instead of dumb ones (All the monsters were dumb in that game). Change some of the storyline, fix up a few things here and there, we should be able to get a much better game out if it. It's like Quest for Glory 2...the game was okay, but when AGDI remade it, they fixed all of the stuff that made it bad, then added stuff to make it better. In the end, QFG2VGA was WAY better and is definitely worth playing. QFG2EGA (the old version) was horrible.

We can do the same with Quest 64 if we work together. I think we can turn an okay game into a really good game.

I still say we should have a new poll on new projects. I personally love the idea of the entire forum working together on a single project. I think what happened with Final Destiny was most people lost interest. It think it'd be better to just pick a new project entirely from new idea submissions.

We could make it like one of those campfire stories. Where you start by telling a story,then pass a stick to someone and they continue the story,and then it builds from there.

I like the idea of taking a bad or mediocre game and really making it our own but i'm down for whatever project we decide/vote on in the end, i agree that some polls could bring more attention to this thing, maybe get more people to participate again.

I only ask (and i'm sure most will be against me here) that if we make some remake it be of an older game that we can improve or an original idea, not something that doesn't need fixing, like pokemon games for example.

I just can't get into making a game based off someone elses copy-righted ideas,or making a sequel to a game that wasn't good enough to deserve one.

There are plenty of better RPG's on Playstation to choose from: the Final fantasy series,the Wild Arms series,Legend of Dragoon,Chrono Cross/Trigger.

Or we could use an anime and make a good video game from that.Most animes have horrible video games to them or don't have one at all,or their Japanese only and we'll never see them.

I've been wanted to make a Code Geass game for a while,one of those Fire Emblem-style,strategy games.

To a point I agree with Jesse. It would be better that we come up with more original ideas, and not base it off of something that didn't really deserve a sequel to begin with. And before storyline, why don't we think of the GAMEPLAY and the CONCEPT first? It will really open up to what we want to do if we got those two figured out.

well, I suppose it is true that we would probably be better off making an original idea...the main problem is...we tried an original idea and got nobody involved. So, I figured we'd try something that wasn't completely original, and that people knew already. Every time we've tried an original idea (we've done it...what...3 times?) and it hasn't worked. That's why I wanted to try something that 1. I knew a lot better then any original idea (even my own ideas) and 2. Could be known well enough that others might know it.

If no one really likes this idea, we can try another...I'm just worried about an original idea is all...yeah, it's nice...but we've failed at it everytime. If we make a good remake, we might be able to get more people interested...that's how AGDI worked...they remade King's Quest 1 and 2, then did Quest for Glory 2 because their crew increased massively over the course of the three games...but eh -shrugs-

well, I suppose it is true that we would probably be better off making an original idea...the main problem is...we tried an original idea and got nobody involved.

People got involved in Final Destiny. We had over 2000 replys. Well,sure 1/2 of them were probably

mine... I just wanted feed back on which battle system to use before I could get really serious on making it. I had the character and battler sprites made and most of the story worked out.

Most of the really good games take much longer than four monthes to make,you know?

It's not like we're losing money or anything if we prolong the project a little bit more.

I'll submit what I have on Final Destiny,if you want to keep going with it.

Or,I can finish it myself,and we could start a sequel if you want?

Since Final Destiny was my project to begin with,and it is the origin point of all my games.

If anyone actually played my games,they're all about King Ryan of Thessa,the Final Destiny Sword,and The Great Dragon.

I say you guys put up another poll with some of these games mentioned here along with others (original or not) and let the registered folks vote again, if it doesn't work out close this section down for the time and try again in the future ^^

My mistake on the double post guys.

Is this thing still on? Because everyone's gone quiet ^^

I've been looking at games that IMO should be fun for a remake ( will add more when i think of them), maybe we can start with a big list with info on the games then narrow it down to one.

Same thing for the original games, we choose games from the projects section narrow that down and put the last two winners up against each other, just throwing out some ideas to see if we can start this up ^^, if you have a better idea put it up please.

Snes-

Lagoon

Breath of fire 1

Brain lord

the twisted tales of spike mcfang

Snes- translated games-

Magic knight rayearth

Treasures of the rudras

Nes-

Crystalis

Anime-

magic knight rayearth wouldve made a great game. they did make a game for it but few people

actually saw it because it was for Sega Saturn. It was made after the S.S. sank(haha made a funny).

Anyway,they DID finish out of their own pocket. It had a ton of pictures,but not much else gameplay wise.

The game is pretty cool, i have it and i really like the graphics, don't know too much about the story because i was just not a fan of the battle system so i stopped playing after a while.

The snes game was the one i was thinking about for this remake but i'm not sure how good it is, it's not a bad thing though as we can improve on what's there :)

now that I have the time to respond...

The main thing is...I'd love to do a remake of an old game, but it wouldn't be smart to make a remake of a game that hasn't been transferred over to America...reason why is because, if it's not translated into english...I don't know many of us who could play it, understand what is going on, and then be able to remake it. For a remake, I basically just chose (back when we were voting before) the game I knew the best that would probably be the best remake (Also, I own it, so at any point, I could play through it and check it out again).

Yeah, there's a lot of good games out there, but if we want to become known for game making (and there's the important part right there) we should make something fairly well known. Quest64 (or Holy Magic Century as it is known as everywhere other then in America) is fairly well known from what I've heard. On top of that, due to its...rather poor graphics at that time...I don't think turning it into a 2D rendered game would ruin much, if anything at all (the game played like a 2D game anyway >>).

Now, another idea COULD be to make a game based off of something else (an anime, cartoon, etc.) in which case I know a few we could make (I even have the character graphics for one of them) but I don't know if anyone else here would be interested in that.

A final idea could be to simply try an original idea again. Now, to do that, we would have to really work hard, and unfortunately...I don't mean to sound mean, but we've tried the original ideas twice (or was it 3 times) now, and they all flopped. This is why I figured that maybe we should go with a remake, since all of the attempts at original ideas flopped. I didn't close Final Destiny because it had been 4 months and not gotten much of anywhere...I closed it because it had been like...10 days I think...and no one had even bothered to answer the question you had posted up for people to respond to. That told me that no one was interested, and thus, I closed it down.

I think what we will do is this: I'll probably close this topic down in a day or so (whenever I am the time to do all of this) and open yet another "game idea" topic. This time, however, when it goes to vote, I may make it so that, if you don't have an interest in working on the game or have the ability to do so, then you can't vote (rather...make it a rule, cause I can't actually do that). I think the main problem was, we had people voting because they wanted to see it done, not because they wanted to do it.

Unless, of course, people just want to try to work on this project and give it a shot, then, if it falls under, then we try again...but I'm kind of tired of "Oh, it fell under, let's try something else" and no one wanting to get involved...Which is kind of why I don't want to open a new topic for voting and what not...I'd rather just either do or die with one last try, and if it doesn't work, just shut it down, instead of trying to go through a whole, big, long, 3 month thing just to fail again...

No problem with Holy Magic Century here ^^, (begun working on a template for the game before too) or any game we choose for that matter but in the end i want to work on a game that will mostly use original graphics though, speaking for myself the RMXP RTP graphics are boring and overused and i'd like to work on something that will stand out from the rest (i'm sure most agree on that for this game plan).

I'd like your opinions on this, if we do use the original graphics in the end (hope so) what do you guys think of using smaller character sets and tilesets? I think that working smaller will enable us to work quicker and more folks can participate as well because i see that many have problems working with bigger sprites.

I'd also like to see a poll where everyone (who is involved in this) uploads a character template big or small to vote on so we can start working on characters soon as the game is decided on ^^

Edit- Yes i see what you mean on the translated games now, bad idea there.

E-By smaller sprites i mean sprites of the size of RMVX characters or these here created by me.

Here are some examples, i figure this game will be made with rmxp? I uploaded the vx sheet of my templates just so i don't have top add more links.

Mine-

TykeZero

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...VX-TykeZero.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...-Characters.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...ykeZero/ch4.png

Halfling-

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...ng-Template.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...ingChSheet1.png

RMVX-Temp-You've all seen it but here it is anyway, i say that we go no bigger than the Halfling template at least.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...ndo/People3.png

Well...if we were go to with RMVX style sprites, it would be smarter to use RMVX for the game...I don't really see a point otherwise...Now, I would like to use RMXP for it, and I would really prefer to keep the RMXP RTP style (not graphics, just style of graphics) to the character sets and tilesets. I think if we worked hard enough on it, we could do it that way better.

As for the use of RMXP RTP graphics...I would like to steer away from that as much as possible. If we could make completely "original" graphics, that would be way better. I would really love to see a completely "original" game in at least the graphics. It would be nice to see a fully original game, but I doubt that will happen first game. Maybe, if we get one out, we'll get more involved, which will allow us to do more then before.

The VX sheets where just for an example so i would not need to add too many links here, i also prefer XP over VX any day, and the VX character was just for an example of small size too, i dislike the vx template really ^^

If we where to go for an original game i will put my outer tileset up for use, i've been looking to start working on an inner too, but i'll wait to see where this thing goes first.

Here's an example of my tileset work, feel free to test it.

E- Of coarse if the game is a remake that's no prob because i'll already have the idea for the surroundings :)

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...assPriority.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...ineinstruct.png

http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w...uterts01da7.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...FloorAuto01.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T.../DiyngGrass.png

Rtp water-my grass

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...ass-satplus.png

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...autoground2.png

Extra trees, add to tileset.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...eTree-Extra.png

Treasure chest character set

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...easureChest.png

XP-Halfling characters for testing.

WA-HalflingObMaleCh4.png

WA-HalflingMale-Ch1.png

WA-Female-ch2.png

WA-HalflingMale-Ch3.png

meh...kind of my fault for starting it, then not having the time to work on it at all >< I've been getting 40 hours at work...which means that I don't have much time to myself...oddly enough...you have less time in a day working 3rd shift then you do any other shift (I know this from experience)

well, while I'm busy, here's an image of Brian (the main character). If you can make him a little older and make a character set for him, that would help out a bit. You can make it in multiple styles if you want, and we can determine what looks the best from there?

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8067/questn64fn4.jpg

Also...I'm not a fan of that one hair sticking up...so could you make his hair flat instead?

Ah so HMC it is then, good ^^

I will start working on it soon, i'll go with my Halfling template since it's about the same height of the rmxp rtp template, though if you or anyone would like to work with a different one let me know before i go too far :)

I have the game myself so no prob there ^^, i will dl the N64 emulator and rom to take some snapshots of the character though.

Hmmm.

Never played Quest 64.

I'ma have to listen to some of the music before I decide whether I want to help re-arrange it or not.

Blam! Here's a look at Brian, i think i only need to work on a few little pixel details that bother me, i will see if i can make a slightly different outfit for him as well, or remove and add something to him, as you wanted him to look a bit older i did not create him on the child template but on the adult, which is also teen ^^

Forgot to add that i also have another look with that strand popping out for the hell of it, also left out the metal pieces on the boots for the no strand ver, i think it looks better without that.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...-MC-example.png

E-

Here's the second look, slight edits here, brighter hair color (same color change on boots), edited the hood out (only a cape now), a bandana added with a metal plate, you will see this one more from the side/back frames.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...MC-MC-look2.png

E-

Here's a third look for the hero, this time i remade the clothing completely, wanted to go for a cool wizard look, i also did something different with the hair for these two examples in here, one a similar strand but not dopey looking (imo), and a more subtle change where i added some more to the hair on the sides, let me know if you guys want something added or if you have a look in mind and i'll give it a shot.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/T...MC-MC-look3.png

Looks pretty cool so far. I'm not a big fan of the strand popping out (always thought that was really dumb) so I like the flat hair better.

Glad you like the 2d conversion ^^, i have edited the same post with a slightly different look, i will change a bit more for the next example.

3rd look added.