New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
OverlordMao

[VX]Best way to learn a skill

Question

I'm trying to decide whats the best way a character should learn a skill. I have a script that allows a character learn a skill if equipted with a weapon and gains enough AP points, I could always go with a skill shop, leveling up adds on some amount of fun, scrolls to teach a character a skill will be difficult, or whatever you can think of thats simple and easy. Please keep in mind that I'm using Battle, Supportive, and Passive skills.

• Battle: Skills that deal damage to the target. May or may not inflict status on said target.
  • Supportive: Heals target(s), and can even remove/add status(es) on said target(s)
  • Passive: Used outside of battle, used to increase stats or allow different effects such as resistance to a status effect.

Also, I'm not sure if I put this in the right spot.  :unsure:

11 answers to this question

Wait, so you wanna know our opinions on what the best way to learn a skill is? I think that there should be more than one way to get yer' skills, and some skills that can only be obtained by doing special things.

I don't exactly know what you mean now.

That was actually what I wanted to know, Kiriashi.

What would be the best way to learn a skill?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough before.

I'd say level up to learn skills, and have a few NPCs that can teach a skill or two for a certain character, some kind of side-story for those. But that's how I like games to commonly be, the "earn a skill if equipped with a weapon and gains enough AP points to obtain the skill" is ok I guess, doesn't sound easy if you need a lot of AP's for a skill, unless if it's that strong.

Post number 965:

Oh okay. Well yeah leveling and experience should give you skills, or the ability to research skills or something close to that.

There should also be some twists here and there where people can learn skills from people and stuff. Have you seen my tutorial for making skill shops?

http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/index....mp;showfile=131

I did see it, and I thats how I plan to have some skills available to use.

Ok, heres what I have planed so far.

Basic skills are obtained through levels. By basic, I mean character specific skills.

Magic/healing/supportive skills are learned at Magic "Schools" or shops. Every Town has one of these, and the further you go in the story, the better "teachers" there are to "teach" you magic.

Advance skills are learned through weapons. So things like Dual Attack and the like are learned by obtaining AP points if you have the required weapon equipted.

Passive Skills... well... I got nothing, and these are one of the most important skills of the game. How should a character learn these skills?

The way I had some of my characters learn skills was by requently using weaker skills.

Like using Fire1 several times to learn Fire2. By attaching a counting variable in a common event to a skill,you can keep track how many times a character uses a skill. Then attach a braunch to add a skill when that other skill is used a set amount of times.

The way I had some of my characters learn skills was by requently using weaker skills.

Like using Fire1 several times to learn Fire2. By attaching a counting variable in a common event to a skill,you can keep track how many times a character uses a skill. Then attach a braunch to add a skill when that other skill is used a set amount of times.

I can use this to learn advance magic/healing/suportive skills, which helps me so I don't have to make a switch every time for when a new "teacher" can "teach" you a new skill.

But the passive skills... how to learn those...?

I don't see why it should be different. It wasn't in the classic games. How about just a simple skill teacher?

Maybe you could have an original system where there is a passive bar in the menu, and when it reaches to a full point, you can choose one skill from a list generated based on your actions. So if there was a point in the game where you could help someone dieing (why is firefox say I am misspelling that, I'm not am I)on the road, or kill him off and take his money, your choice would change what kind of passive skills you can choose from. Maybe the player starts out with a stone that generates this list so there can be an explanation. A magic stone.. lol

Umm.... sorry Kiriashi, but I don't think I'll do that.

I'll just make it so that you can by the same passive skills from the same shop found in multiple towns (you enter the door, and it brings you to the same map. You leave the door, and it takes you to the last town you were in).

lol, You don't have to apologize to me , I was just trying to set a fire with a spark. You know, influence you to make an original system.

How do you do that? the one map that you can enter from several locations and leave and go to the last location you were at?

XD