New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Tomo2000

Eventer 101

Eventer 101

Introduction to Eventing

What is an Event?

Event1.png

An event is a simple implement of RMXP with nearly unlimited possibilities. A single one can allow you to make a cutscene, a battle or anything you can manage to make it do. But, as I am sure you are aware, if you do not know how to make your event do what you want, you may be putting your project at hold or even give up on it. This guide is to help you learn and understand how to make your events more effective and amazing.

When making an Event, you aim to do the following:

Event2-1.png

-Make your event run as smoothly as possible; no split-second pauses, intervals or other stuff-ups.

-If you are making a cutscene; don't overcomplicate it. Allow the player to know and understand what's going on with ease.

-Attempt to make sure that there isn't anything unneeded in your event that clutters it up. When you go to edit it you might run into a bit of trouble.

-Use the "Comment" event to describe what happens where. This way, you know where something might glitch up when you test it.

Types of Events

Map-Based Event

Event3-1.png

Map-Based Events are, as the name suggests, the ones you place on the map through the Event Layer. These have 5 Triggers and are as follows;

-Action Button: The List of Commands located in your event will be activated when you use the action button (C, Enter, Space or what these are set to).

-Player Touch: The List of Commands located in your event will be avtivated when the player steps onto the tile the Map-Based Event is set to.

-Event Touch: The List of Commands located in your event will be avtivated when another event steps onto the tile the Map-Based Event is set to.

-Autorun: The List of Commands will start up automatically when the player is on the map the Map Based Event is set to. Note: This event type will loop and will continue to function if you use a Erase Event the next time you enter the map. Using a Self-Switch to perminently disable an event like this is advised.

-Parallel Proess: This event, as a Map-Based Event very similar to the Autorun event. Take the Notes of the Autorun Event, also.

-Player's Starting Location: This is, arguable, a Map-Based Event. This indicates where the Player will appear at the beginning of your game.

Common Event

Event4.png

Common Events or Database Events are made to function with different items, weapons, etc. To create a Common Event, it is accessed in the Common Event section of the Database. Common Events, unlike Map-Based Events, only have 3 triggers. Those 3 triggers are below:

-None: As the name suggests; this Common Event is not activated by a Parallel Process or by Autorun. These Common Events are usually used with items or weapons.

-Autorun: Like the Map-Based Event, but this Common Event requires a switch to be active instead of starting automatically on a single map.

-Parallel Process: Like the Map-Based Event, also, and it also requires an active switch.

Commands - Part 1

Show Text, Show Choices, Input Number, Change Text Options, Button Input Processing, Wait, Comment

test2.jpg

Text Command

The Text Command is a simple command that places text in the box that appears where it is commanded to (by another Command). There are many different sub-commands that can be used in the text, also:

-\V[?]: This Sub-Command prints the value of the stated variable. Replace ? with the Variable ID you wish to print.

-\N[?]: This Sub-Command prints the stated actors name. Replace ? with the Actor ID you wish to print.

-\C[?]: This Sub-Command makes the text after this event become a certain color.

--\C[0] = White

--\C[1] = Blue

--\C[2] = Red

--\C[3] = Green

--\C[4] = Cyan

--\C[5] = Purple

--\C[6] = Yellow

--\C[7] = Grey

-\G: Places a small window with the current ammount of currency near the Top-Right corner of the screen.

Choices Command

The Choices Command allows you to add different paths to the game and make the game more player-involved. There are two things with Choice Events; the choices and the trigger. When you are typing the choices, you can use all of the Text Sub-Commands. The trigger sub-commands are detailed below:

-Disallow = This Trigger disallows the player to cancel the choosing. This is good for story-lines to prevent confusion and/or glitches.

Choice 1 = Very self-explanitory; selects Choice 1.

Choice 2 = Very self-explanitory; selects Choice 2.

Choice 3 = Very self-explanitory; selects Choice 3.

Choice 4 = Very self-explanitory; selects Choice 4.

Branch = Allows the player to add something to every option; 1, 2, 3, 4, Branch End and When Cancel.

Input Number Command

The Input Number Command is usually used for the user to enter something that will be remembered throughout the game, hense why it also wishes you to select a variable. The only thing you really need to worry about it choosing the right ammount of digits and the correct variable you wish to write the number to.

Change Text Options Command

The Change Text Options Command allows you to change the possition of the text and to show or hide the text window. The possitions of the text you can choose between is Top, Center and Bottom. These are good for any occasion.

Button Input Processing Command

The Button Input Processing Command is a great event for writing a certain movement or key to a variable. Only certain keys work, however. The number that appears first is the number that the Button Input Processing Command alligns the variable with for easy use with the Conditional Branch Command. Here is the list.

2 - Num-Pad 2, Down Arrow Key

4 - Num-Pad 4, Left Arrow Key

6 - Num-Pad 6, Right Arrow Key

8 - Num-Pad 8, Up Arrow Key

11 - Shift

12 - Escape, X, Num-Pad 0,

13 - Space, Enter, Num-Pad Enter, C

15 - S,

16 - Z, D, A

17 - Q

18 - W

Wait Command

The Wait Command is a simple command to, as the name states, wait a certain number of frames. There is nothing more to it.

Comment Command

The Comment Command doesn't affect the event page but is good for just writing what certain sections of the event page does or what you plan to do next.

Conditional Branch

The Conditional Branch is, quite possible, one of the most useful components of any Eventer's repertoire. The Conditional Branch function is a huge, customizable 'If' statement that can check for countless things in-game.

Upon clicking the Conditional Branch button within the event, a window appears with four tabs; one for timers, switches and variables, one for checking attributes applied to any of the actors, a third for enemies and the players direction, and another for key-presses, checking the inventory, and checking with scripting.

Tab 1

Switch - Checks if a specified switch is either on or off.

Variable - Checks if a specified variable is equal to, greater than or less than, or a mixture of the three, to a specified number or another variable.

Self-Switch - Checks if a specified self-switch is on or off.

Timer - Checks if the timer has ticked for a certain amount of time, in minutes and seconds, along with the 'or More' or 'or Less' function.

-[Work calls, so I'll continue when I get back]-

Coming up next; Loop.

Edited by Tomo2000

I see you added some stuff about Button Input processing, but I still don't understand how to actually use this to my benefit. Could you make a demo or something... please? :dragonwant: Sorry for my noobiness.

Great job on the tutorial! :5:

May I recommend adding a tidbit on using Input number to your advantage? I'm not requesting this as a tutorial, as I already know all about Inputting numbers. :)

Back by popular demand - I am going to begin my works in my Eventing Class again :D Hope to see you all attending; wagging is unacceptable.

Back by popular demand - I am going to begin my works in my Eventing Class again :D Hope to see you all attending; wagging is unacceptable.

oh I love eventing so you can always count me in on these types of things. If you cant script it find a way to event it, is one of my popular feelings about it because you can almost always solve something through eventing w/o a script if your willing to take the time and effort.

Edit: I was also thinking that eventing tutorials would do good to put on youtube seeing as people would learn better that way cheers :alright:

Edited by Dragon324

oh I love eventing so you can always count me in on these types of things. If you cant script it find a way to event it, is one of my popular feelings about it because you can almost always solve something through eventing w/o a script if your willing to take the time and effort.

Edit: I was also thinking that eventing tutorials would do good to put on youtube seeing as people would learn better that way cheers :alright:

Thanks dragon for the support :D And yeah, I'll be setting up a youtube account for eventing, I just recently found the program I used to record things with, so this should be rather interesting :) Hope to see ya readin' the guide later

~Tomo2000

Thanks dragon for the support :D And yeah, I'll be setting up a youtube account for eventing, I just recently found the program I used to record things with, so this should be rather interesting :) Hope to see ya readin' the guide later

~Tomo2000

No problem just let me know if there's anything I can do to help otherwise looking forward 2 em :P.

Going to do my first video tutorial :D Wish me luck. Any suggestions for video tutorials reply here. Wish me luck :alright:

~Tomo2000.

Going to do my first video tutorial :D Wish me luck. Any suggestions for video tutorials reply here. Wish me luck :alright:

~Tomo2000.

Awesome :D I bet people will assume my accent is the same as yours :P

Btw tomo if you don't have a youtube channel, you're more than welcome to use youtube.com/rmxpunlimited