New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
OverlordMao

Mapping question

Question

I've been trying this for several hours, but I just can't seem to figure it out. How do I make a Mining-Type cave in RMVX that doesn't look like it only has one floor? (and yes, you can go to all the different floors here, up to 6 different floors of the cave, with only the top one being used by miners)

Incase you need it, I'm using the tilesets that RMVX came with, along with the following for Tileset E.

TileE.png

Thanks in advance. :alright:

~OverlordMao

(Ok, thought I'd try something different and sign all of my posts after this one)

9 answers to this question

I wish I could help (I've learned a lot of mapping skills over the past couple years), but unfortunately, I don't use RMVX...I could try making an example map in RMXP, however, and you could try from that.

So you want to be able to see multiple levels at certain points in the map? Sounds strange.

In RMXP what you do for walls is use the tiles which contain the tile for a side of the wall, and the rest of the tile is black. So it looks like the walls extend beyond your view (like a cross-section). You have those tiles in the image you posted.

So you want to be able to see multiple levels at certain points in the map? Sounds strange.

In RMXP what you do for walls is use the tiles which contain the tile for a side of the wall, and the rest of the tile is black. So it looks like the walls extend beyond your view (like a cross-section). You have those tiles in the image you posted.

Guess I explained to much about it...

No, I don't want to see multiple floors at once (could be kind of cool, though). I was just explaining that it has more then one floor and should include something like a ladder going down and a point which looks like coal carts (or whatever they're called) go through. Although I do have some plans for it, like having it seem like there's a giant hole in the middle of the area for no reason (known yet, anyway. Think giant monster seal).

I've made an example map in RMXP for you...not sure if it's what you meant, and it's obviously not my best work, but I think it's what you're looking for?

Mining_Cave.png

Mining_Cave.png

I'll be honest.

That's about as good as I could map in RMXP! :sweatdrop:

In all seriousness, though, I really just want to know how I would go about making a cave map. Its suppose to have been used by miners, so I want to make it look like it has been abandoned.

Ok, here's the practice for the map.

AbandonedMineFullMap.png

(This is the map in the Map Editor area at a scale of 1:4)

AbandonedMineIn-gamescreenshot.png

(And this is an in game example of the map, and yes, you can walk over the big hole by going on the railing system)

Just so you know, I can make a cave somewhat easily. I just have problems with decorating it with rocks, gravel, and other things like that. This "practice" is what I plan to use for the cave, but I have no idea where to put anything else in the cave to make it look old and/or abandoned.

Wow, looks pretty nice OverlordMao^^! My basic knowledge of decorating the place with like gravel or rocks consits of spacing out pretty fairly, and when you want to make all bunched together consist the pile of little medium and big rocks,(there should be some in VX right? I use XP)also if you want it to look more abandon maybe think of putting some things like dirt or vines sticking out of the wall, or make it cracked. Hope this helped ^^

All i ever do for decoration is drop some rocks,gras,plants etc here there but nit together in groups