New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Black Shadow

The Screenshot Thread

----New Input------

I've been working on my concept game quite abit this summer, but today I finally managed to create it's Official Logo, and Official name, it took some thinking and decisions had to be made, but in the end it ended up great.

- I have finally managed to create an window message picture, I use common events to create the looks of the pictures, I still have some changes that has to be made, mostly because there is something I am not quite happy with just yet. I have created two new parrallax maps, one for the main town of the game, the main town has about 5/6 parts and about 2 of them are done, other than that here is the new screenshots:

atelierstorypicture1.png

atelierstorypicture2.png

Currently: trying to edit the sideview ATB whom is going to be used in-game, aswell as I have a gallery I have to attend to, and editing the Menu system aswell: "wish me luck" :D,

PS: that hud you see in the first Image is from an Action movement system created by i think it was "Miguel" he was called, either way full credit to him for making such an awesome system, aswell as I would like to promote his system in the game I am making...It features an all new compass system which will make traveling alot more fun :) and the features it allows me to have such as 8 directional movement is amazing :), If anyone is interested in assisting the game; just pm me

Edited by Calamity

-snip-

Psst, your supposed to comment on the screenshot before you.

Anywow.

Your maps look...partially amazing. While there's much potential here, you seem to be having a problem with detail and symmetry. What stuck out to me right away was your square bodies of water. Unless their man-made (even then, it looks bad), pools aren't square. Make a little more room and spread them out and don't make them SQUARE! Also, keep in mind: Nature is random. While it's okay to have a little symmetry (you can't avoid it, like two flowers on the same line 28 blocks away from each other)

The night-time map with the illumination affect I posted on the last page is a good example of excellent mapping.

psstt...lol i didn't know really, please do not think badly of me lol :)

while I have to agree that you're map on the last page was quite awesome, the simplicity and effects you used make for an eye delight, but I am not the biggest fan

of Breeze anymore, I used to like it, cause it seemed so uniqe (it is uniqe btw) but now I want to make my own mapping style, showing off some sort real nature mixed with machine/human like creation. (I did not mean I wanted to create custom tileset, this tileset is by Lunarea and Celianna all credit to them, I just want my own type of style) :)

I always try to randomize things as much as possible. I read your line which said: Make a little more room and spread them out and don't make them SQUARE!, my answer is: that's what I wanted with the second screenshot ( the map shown ), it is quite open, and leaves alot of room for exploration. the biggest agreement I have with you is: What stuck out to me right away was your square bodies of water, I agree 100%, I will try to change that

thanks for the feedback LaDestitute :D

You don't have to comment on the screen shots right before your post. All comments are welcomed.

Here's a map I did for a bit more than 1 and a half year ago:

]http://oi55.tinypic.com/a4prac.jpg

In Game:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/20k6tyf.jpg

In case you're wondering, it's not used in any game or something.

Looks pretty good, except don't mix the grey and green grass in the same map.

If any, it looks more like sunset instead of sunrise. I remember a nice guide about color on hbgames, but can't seem to find it right now. If i find it, i'll pm.

Now that i'm here:

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/2875/screenshots/yuiuj.png

That looks friggen amazing bro.

----New Input------

I've been working on my concept game quite abit this summer, but today I finally managed to create it's Official Logo, and Official name, it took some thinking and decisions had to be made, but in the end it ended up great.

- I have finally managed to create an window message picture, I use common events to create the looks of the pictures, I still have some changes that has to be made, mostly because there is something I am not quite happy with just yet. I have created two new parrallax maps, one for the main town of the game, the main town has about 5/6 parts and about 2 of them are done, other than that here is the new screenshots:

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/117/atelierstorypicture1.png

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6703/atelierstorypicture2.png

Currently: trying to edit the sideview ATB whom is going to be used in-game, aswell as I have a gallery I have to attend to, and editing the Menu system aswell: "wish me luck" :D,

PS: that hud you see in the first Image is from an Action movement system created by i think it was "Miguel" he was called, either way full credit to him for making such an awesome system, aswell as I would like to promote his system in the game I am making...It features an all new compass system which will make traveling alot more fun :) and the features it allows me to have such as 8 directional movement is amazing :), If anyone is interested in assisting the game; just pm me

Quite nice, I like it! :3

You might wanna do something about the square water though.

The Northern Plains, It's half done give details on what it needs.

NorthernPlains.png

Edited by bigace

The Northern Plains, It's half done give details on what it needs.

NorthernPlains.png

paths, river etc seem too long and square, its good if thats what your aiming for but if not then I suggest just making the corner paths more round/ curved

possibly add more trees and foliage

You use round autotiles. You can find them in Kiriashi's mapping development thread here. http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/topic/2367-kiriashis-mapping-depot/

It needs more trees, flowers, weeds, rocks etc etc stuff like that. Things that would be in a plain, ya know? :3 Randomize the placement of the trees etc, it helps make it look natural. For example, here is an image of a plain in real life. I know its impossible to get it really realistic, but it helps looking at images :)

http://img.wallpaperstock.net:81/clouds-over-plain-wallpapers_13936_1440x900.jpg

Naw I didn't like the circler river, it look very weird when I placed it in. But I will be placing more plants in there, so thanks for that.

Here's a screenshot from the southern plains part 2; both parts of the southern plains are more swam then grass lands like the northern plains.

Screenshot.png

Why did it look weird? :( There are other versions of water too, if you would like to see them:

27ypnc3.jpg

Hmm, things are still a bit square and lined up. Try to get things more random. You can use events to make graphics as tilesets as well :)

Just my two cents, but the orange 'shrooms (spores?) and frog look a bit unbalanced and out of place and the bridge corners look rather odd and out of place too.

Ya I was having trouble constructing that bridge, and the frog wasn't sitting well either. I'll return to that map soon.

Also this is my last screenshot for awhile it part of the same mapset

Screenshot2.png

Why did it look weird? :( There are other versions of water too, if you would like to see them:

sure

Edited by bigace

I think the best way to do the bridge would be to either;

1. put a small chunk of land there instead of that piece of wood.

2. edit both pieces together in an image editing program.

If you post both tiles, I can make a custom one quickly. Just the two tiles though, not the whole tileset, please.

@bigace: I think the landscape is still too square. The more natural the environment looks, the better map it will be. You can make jagged/non-straight landscapes with the RTP default autotiles:

MAP BY KIRIASHI: the mapping god

contestswamo.png

Ignore the "underwater" tiles, those are editted tiles, not in the default set, but the rest is all default. The key to using autotiles correctly, is to use them not as "autotiles" (weird, i know, but autotiles make things look square and unnatural)

unledkqv.png

if you double click on an autotile in the editor, this will come up. As you can see, you now can use specific pieces of the autotile, to make it non-autotile.

Also, the use of SHIFT-click is good, as it will add a tile; without disrupting neighbouring autotiles (using SHIFT-right click, will select a piece of an autotile, similar to the autotile expansion, grabbing the state of the autotile as it appears exactly on the map)

also, using the layers you can bunch / layer different tiles that the final outcome will look like a nice blended map. For example, putting mushrooms right under trees, etc. Which, i would like to mention: the mushroom growing out of the water looks odd, as in real life mushrooms do not grow in water like that. (well technically, there are some species that grow UNDER water, but they don't grow up and out of it like that)

Hope this helps :3

Lol, thanks Kell. Glad that came in handy.

27ypnc3.jpg

Thanks for the credit... >_>

*sarcasm*

@Adamk:

Now that looks AWESOME! The only thing I can "complain" about is the two arrow bundles on the ground to the right. But other than, amazing! :3

@RATED-RKOFRANKLIN:

Its a style he does, its based on a game (which I can't recall right now). I think he does add backgrounds, but I'm not entirely sure. :sweatdrop:

@Kiriashi:

I did say he could get them in the Mapping thread you made (which is where I got it I believe...), but I had no idea you made them. I'm sorry T.T

*Amazing work*

Looks great Adamk! I really like the water area where the bridge is, makes me want to drink lots of water or go fishing! :alright:

This is a screenshot of a map I'm currently working on, from my project Numina. The territory is called "Nebelpfade" which translates into "fog paths", but I guess I'll have to look for a more stellar name for the English translation wink.png

A fog-shrouded, slightly gloomy place. Where you always have to carefuly think about your next step, in order not to fall into the bottomless abyss:

e9dva8s2.png

The clouds are partly animated, some of them are below the player, while others "hover" above the player.