New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Moonpearl

Moonpearl's Animated Custom Menu System

Animated Custom Menu System

Version: 2.00

Author: Moonpearl

Date: March 12th, 2012

Version History

Version 2.00 - 2012.03.12

• Graphical improvements
    • Scenes overlap (i.e. when switching from menu A to menu B, A's elements
      are being swept away while B's fit into place)

• Animations (as defined in the project database) may be played upon
      various events (selecting/deselecting items, decision button...)

• Background is now composed with any number of layers, each of which
      can exhibit one or more effects (scrolling, flickering, waving...)

• Images replacing text now respond to alignment like regular text

[*]New scenes

• Title scene

• Shop scene

• Save/load scene

[*]Code improvements

• Scenes now inherit code from their base version - placing a modified
      version of Scene_<menutype> before the ACMS script will in turn modify
      ACMS's Scene_<menutype>, while it shall retain its ACMS appearance

• Menu items are now subclasses of Window_Base - they can now use any of
      Window_Base's methods, typically displaying methods

• Movements now work with Functions

• For windows used outside the menu (like Window_Item or Window_Help),
      a copy named Window_ACMS_<windowtype> will automatically replace its
      general equivalent in the menus only

[*]Other improvements

• Added LOTS of options

• Changed folder structure and naming convention

Version 1.11

• Broke Constants entry into 3 for easier theme modification
  • Added constants to set the movement of the background
  • Added gold symbol display in the main menu
  • Added a new graphical theme - "Data Vortex"

Version 1.10

• Made the code structure more modular using a common root (Scene_Menu_Base)
    for all menus
  • Changed handling for graphical digits (a single picture with all of them
    instead of separate ones)
  • Added constants to make customization easier
  • Added a new menu for actors' biographies
  • Added dynamic adaptation of HP and SP bars' size
  • Added portrait change when HP is low / status is altered
  • Added a new graphical theme - "Summer Breeze"

Version 1.00 - Original release to RMXPUnlimited.net

Description

You know custom menu systems are not always easy to customize. Or they aren't really visually appealing. Or they can't include new custom menus you need for your project.

Your ideal CMS would feature all that at the same time. And, to your greatest fortune, it's right here.

Video

Features & Screenshots

• Compose your own background with any number of layers, each of which can exhibit one or several special effects

ACMS-background.png

• Show Animations (as defined in the project's database) upons various events (selecting item, making decision, cancelling...)

941086331.png

• Windows and buttons are moved in/out when switching scenes, and scenes overlap (elements from the next scene are brought in while elements from the previous scene are being swept away)

944131341.png

• Special menus

Title screen
    631393381.png

Party selection menu
    513623361.png

Biography menu
    274181371.png

Modified load/save menu
    612580351.png

• Several themes to choose from as starters

Standard theme
    43_1.png

Summer Breeze theme
    44_1.png

Data Vortex theme
    45_1.png

Moon Pearl theme
    8920079239.png

• Highly & easily customizable
    • Change pictures at will
    • Each window type can have its own particular windowskin
    • Customize party max size, main menu options, transition speed between scenes, and much more
    • Minimal to no script edits required - only adjust a few constants, everything else is managed automatically

[*]Easily expandable

• ACMS only features code that modifies scenes' appearance, they still work using the base code
    • Thus, external custom scenes should be fairly compatible with ACMS - if you're in luck, they'll fit perfectly as is, if not, just minimal tweaking should do the trick
    • Scripters will find ACMS's architecture extremely powerful and reliable to write their own scenes

Known Compatibility Issues

• May clash with scripts which deal with menu scenes, even though every metaprogramming skills I possess were gathered in order to avoid such a dramatic event

Download

Download links and all other information (including terms of use, instructions and FAQ) can be found on my blog.

Author's Notes

I put a great deal of effort into this project. Please provide feedback if you like what you see!

Also, I'm interested into seeing ACMS at work in your own project. With your permission, I might want to display screenshots of it on my blog as an illustration of how extensively it can be customized. Also, if you wish to share your own theme for ACMS, I'd be more than happy to provide a link to it in my gallery.

Edited by Moonpearl

Thanks Polraudio. I gave it everything I had. And learnt about Lagrange polynomial interpolation in the process. shifty.gif

Not sure but i think i found a messup or something. When i go to skills it always shows this in the lower right no matter who i have selected. It doesnt change.

fAha4.png

I'm not sure what you mean, but the lower right widgets are for skills' targets - for example, if you use Heal, it alloows you to choose whom to heal. Well then, what I don't understand about your screenshot is that you picked a combat skill which cannot apply to party members, so it's only natural that you cannot cycle through targets.

This looks like something I've been told before, though. Maybe people expect to get the stats of the character whose skills are selected, but I didn't think of it, and quite frankly, I don't see what good it would do.shifty.gif

As I said before, it's a very nice menu! You have a good eye for design. I really dig the clean interface/layout. (I, ESPECIALLY, love the simplistic window boxes.)

My only criticisms (which are non-issue, and mostly just personal preference xD), would be some of the transition times (I like my menus fast and instant) and the comic-esque font face (which, of course, is extremely non-issue - at least it's readable :3)

Well done good sir. I will have to poke around the source code eventually... I have a feeling there's some pretty well-written ruby behind all of this and, it may be a secret (well, probably not really) but I get off on reading good source code (better than most novels) (better than all tv) (not even lying)

Ah ah, thanks kellessdee. You're the first to actually praise the design, it means a lot to me. All graphics are supposed to be replaced and are a mere, simplistic example of what can be done with the script. As for the font-face, I just wanted to give the demo some kind of an exotic look in comparison with classical RMXP, as well as include the code for easier font replacement in the future. As you said, I chose it essentially because of its readability, I have no special affinity for the type itself. As for the menus, as I believe I explained in the instructions, if you'd rather have a plain, instant fade, you just have to delete the entirity of the Graphics/Transitions folder, since the script automatically looks for files which match the scenes' name. Moreover, if you wish to keep the various transitions, but want them faster, just edit the MP Common entry, look for Scene_Base and change the 40 in Graphics.transition calls to a lower number (e.g. 20), and you're all set. Bet this had some potential to get you off. shifty.gif

O.O This is a nifty script you have here. I'll have to use this one day. Nice work.

@moonpearl: A well-designed interface always catches my eye :3 I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. And, just as I thought, the transitions/fonts were a non-issue. Those tidbits should be up to the user of the script rather than the scripter anyways, IMO.

Thanks again kellessdee. Scriptwisely speaking, I could do some improvements though, but I was kinda eager to get things done and see the result, besides there was a request so I took pride in completing it in little time. shifty.gif

You've been awaiting it for so long (or maybe not at all, on second though), and here it is! A new version of the Animated CMS has been born!

So, to make things a little less dramatic, I've been busy trying my hands at designing a new theme of my own (since it's the script's initial purpose). I've spotted small flaws along the way, and fixed them while I was there. So the brand new theme comes along with a more powerful script.

The two screens below were obtained using the exact same script, only the graphics were changed, and a few options adjusted. This gives you an idea of just how easy it can be to design your very own theme.

Standard theme in ACMS v1.10

616127MWSnap007.png

Summer Breeze theme in ACMS v1.10

366199MWSnap003.png

See everything on my blog.

Edited by Moonpearl

No need for an option. Just replace the face graphics with anything you like in the pictures folder.

@Moonpearl- ....O....m....gosh......I WANNA DOOOOOO THAT!!!!!!....DID YOU MAKE ALL THAT FROM SCRATCH!!!????

Ah ah, thanks for your enthusiasm Forcebreaker. shifty.gif Yes, I did that everything with my lil' fingers (except of course the facesets and battlers).

Ha! Im going to try and make my own resources for a while :) ...does anybody know a good program, other than paint and gimp?....ive got paint, and gimp messes up alot on my pc for some reason. every time i try to zoom greater than 800x it says there was an error.

Try photoshop. Theres a trial you can use. I tried making something for this menu and i cant get better graphics then the default lol.

I tried making something for this menu and i cant get better graphics then the default lol.

Ah, that's too bad. shifty.gif Actually I'm trying my own hands at yet another theme for a hypothetical project of mine and I'm having a hard time putting together something better than Summer Breeze. Talk about a frustration. ermm.gif

Hi guys, I messed around with my sweet ACMS and came up with a third theme which I called Data Vortex. As usual, you can find it in the gallery on my blog. Cheers!

522178MWSnap003.png

Rejoice, ye ACMS lovers, for a brand new version has been born!

I've been asked for new features here and there, and since I also had my own plans for it, I thought it was about time I did something. I first came up with a draft for a v1.12, then thought of further improvement for an hypothetical v1.13. Then, I thought to myself, since I'm there, why not do everything I have in mind at the same time. It took me long enough, but here's the result, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

So, here comes v2.00, with TONS of new features and fixes, and also a forth theme - the three older ones still need to be updated to work with v2.00, so please be a little patient. See the main post for more information. Ane please leave a nice comment if you like what you see. :)

Amazing! I am absollutely in love with it! Who makes your graphics? I would really love a theme for my game I am making called Heart of Fire, that fits the title theme.

Edited by Kailia

Amazing! Hey is Summer Breeze theme still compatable with 2.0?

Thanks. :) It needs some adaptation but I'll have that done within a week or so.