New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Nyhm

Hello (indie developer)

Greetings, I found RMXPunlimited searching for communities of RPG gamers who enjoy constructing their own worlds/stories. I'm the sole developer of an MMORPG that is all about player-created content (which I'll link in the appropriate forum).

I love the old-school RPG style. I still feel the draw to replay Dragon Warrior or FF1 now and then. I've wanted to create an MMORPG since before RPGs were MMO. Today, I love the idea of player-created content.

My technical background is in computer science and software engineering (specifically Java client-server application development). Consequently, I've developed my own MMO game engine (gui, client, networking, server).

From what I've seen so far, I think my interests will fit in well with this community, and I hope folks here will be open to providing feedback about my project (I'm very open to community input). I look forward to being a member of RMXPunlimited (not to mention GDunlimited when the time comes).

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you've got a great idea coming along. :) Can't wait to see how it progresses!

I'm not quite up to where I can create games from scratch using Java, but I'm in school for Computer Science. A couple years ago we were to actually make a game as our final project for a class, but sadly, that was a pretty bad semester and only one person in the entire class had a finished-looking game at the end. I myself barely got as far as being able to move the player character (a black block) around. Hooray for freshman year, right? :P Of course I have been more successful in recent semesters, and this semester I decided to step back and retake Java entirely since most of the classes I've taken were about C, and my only real experience with Java was that class that failed so miserably.

I'd certainly be interested in trying out this game of yours. :) Sounds like it's got some great potential. Good luck. and welcome. :)

Hey Vinderex, I know exactly where you're coming from. I also studied C/C++ in school, and basically had to learn Java in my own time. In my opinion, C/C++ are arcane; you spend way too much mental effort just trying to create stable code, rather than focusing on good design and the actual application. Java has its issues, as well, but I'd encourage everyone to learn Java.

Sounds like it's got some great potential.

Thank you. You probably didn't intend the pun, but once I link my game, you'll find that my company name is Potential Games.

I've wanted to create an MMORPG since before RPGs were MMO.

You and me both. The first time I played FF6(Eng), and I realized that you could play two players, it blew my mind. Since that day I have wanted to make an mmo in that style. I definitely think you will find the help you need on this site. And if you ever need a spriter for a 16 bit mmo project, count me in.

-Cheers

Thank you. You probably didn't intend the pun, but once I link my game, you'll find that my company name is Potential Games.

Yes, I intended it 100%. I'm psychic you know. :P

lol. Kidding of course, but that's pretty awesome.

Hello and Welcome to RMXPU :) All I can say so far is that is an interesting take on the MMORPG formula(a very stagnate one unfortunately) and I can't wait to see what you arrive at :D

Hey there :D Glad you chose to become a member of our family! Glad to hear an interesting project, cant wait to see what you do with it. Dont be afraid to ask for help if you need any and hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone! I've been prowling around, and I think this is just the place for me.

Jon Bon, thanks for your comments. I'm not an artist, and I'm using mostly licensed content (and some stuff I've painstakenly tried to draw myself). Someday it would be exciting to colaborate with a pixel artist for future projects.

At this point, the game is in open beta, and I'm excited to have players in the world. I'd really appreciate any feedback from folks here, since I can see you're all on the same wavelength as me. That said, Island Forge is a bit different, and I've tried to create a unique game design inspired by the old-school, but with a whole new approach. Anyway, you can find more about that on my announcement post: http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/topic/8388-island-forge-indie-mmorpg-player-created-content/

Looking forward to participating in your community!

Heh, sorry I'm late; but welcome to the community and I hope you enjoy your time here!

I'm definitely impressed -- your own MMORPG engine? That's pretty exciting. Although, I do feel for you...Java xD are you a masochist ;) ;) (just teasing, I have a certain aversion against java, not so much the language -- more so the JVM)

And, I do agree with you that everyone should learn java. It's a good introductory language, with a nice balance between static/strongly typed (c-like) languages and safe/reflective languages (but, to be fair; by being a good introductory language by NO means, make it a bad language, I just dislike it for personal reasons haha; but man does it make cross-platform GUIs a lot more streamlined).

And don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to disagree with c or c++ being arcane. You are right, in terms of it being a lot harder to create nice design and stable code, but they are far from arcane. There is a reason they are still extremely popular languages. The idea is, prototype in something safe/productive; then if performance is an issue, translate to C or C++. You just don't get the flexibility and power combined with cross-compilation that those languages provide. It's really the Memory Management capabilities that make those languages so powerful.

However, It's nice to see a new trend of reflective/safe languages implementing both managed/unmanaged modes, as in C# or D. D is still a little too young/unpopular at this moment, but it claims to have the efficiency of C/C++, while remaining "safe". (If you have your own gripes with Java, and aren't a fan of c or c++ I would advise you should take a look at D, if you want/care)

But, that's me just rambling again...and that maybe better for another discussion.

Welcome!

Hi kellessdee. Glad to have a nice programming language discussion. I started my professional life with C++, but took up Java because I felt it was a more modern language with cleaner features. I'm a big fan of strong typing. That said, I have full respect for those that still use C++. Even C and Objective C projects can be perfectly well designed, it just takes a lot of care from the developer to do it right.

I'll certainly have to take a look at D. I've had my head burried in my code for a while now, and haven't had time to sample the new languages. Scala sounds interesting, too, with a lot of hard-core computer sciency features.

My biggest problem with Java is the end-user experience. I've always said that Java is a language created by developers, for developers. Sun/Oracle/OpenJDK really need to make the platform transparent to end users.

I've taken a lot of steps to make my game deployment as painless as possible. I provide a Windows exe and MacOS dmg, which is really just a small launcher that fetches the rest of the game libs/content. Mac seems to take care of its own JVM, but the Windows exe has to warn the user if they don't have Java. (I have tried Java WebStart, but encountered too many failure cases.)

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'm happy to have discussions on all topics from gameplay, technical, and even the business of games.

Hi kellessdee. Glad to have a nice programming language discussion. I started my professional life with C++, but took up Java because I felt it was a more modern language with cleaner features. I'm a big fan of strong typing.

I can see that, that's the main reason why I still ever use java -- it has probably one of the most well constructed api, and just as well constructed documentation. C's libraries are fairly clean, however very compact. C++ libraries are much more vast, however very messy.

That said, I have full respect for those that still use C++. Even C and Objective C projects can be perfectly well designed, it just takes a lot of care from the developer to do it right.

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's part of the reason why I love C (I am familiar with C, however I wouldn't say I know it, I've only started learning it fairly recently), with languages such as Java or Ruby, I get too tempted to "just try stuff" without necessarily thinking it through Q_Q, while C on the other hand actually forces me to REALLY think things through. Thankfully, those practices have been leaking back through to all my programming. Believe it or not, I REALLY think C has actually taught me better programming practices. Maybe that's why I have such a soft spot for C...

Although it helps that my C#/.NET/ASP.NET teacher is A REALLY good teacher, and I have him 3 times a week.

I'll certainly have to take a look at D. I've had my head burried in my code for a while now, and haven't had time to sample the new languages. Scala sounds interesting, too, with a lot of hard-core computer sciency features.

I hate that, as I am sure you know (I am willing to bet even more so than me, as you have worked in the field) that in school you have to focus on what's being taught...It makes it difficult learning all the languages you want to learn. I read up about Scala once, and that's a language I definitely want to learn before I die xD

My biggest problem with Java is the end-user experience. I've always said that Java is a language created by developers, for developers. Sun/Oracle/OpenJDK really need to make the platform transparent to end users.

Looks like we dislike java for the same reasons. I guess it just bugs me more, or I am just overly opinionated, lol.

I've taken a lot of steps to make my game deployment as painless as possible. I provide a Windows exe and MacOS dmg, which is really just a small launcher that fetches the rest of the game libs/content. Mac seems to take care of its own JVM, but the Windows exe has to warn the user if they don't have Java. (I have tried Java WebStart, but encountered too many failure cases.)

There's another benefit of Java, it's a lot easier to distribute than a lot of languages, and is popular enough that most people will probably already have some sort of JVM installed.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'm happy to have discussions on all topics from gameplay, technical, and even the business of games.

No problem, I look forward to such discussions.

I can tell we're on the same wavelength, kellessdee, and it's rare to find someone more opinionated than myself. My hat's off to your superior contempt. In all seriousness, I'm very glad I was taught C, then C++, as foundational languages. (Actually, first I taught myself Applesoft BASIC on an Apple ][ c+ then GQ Basic on a Tandy/SL2... but I'd best stop there before I further date myself.)

Fundamentally, C and C++ are still very important languages. That said, if it were up to me (which I hope it will be), I'll hapilly program everything in Java, especially if OpenJDK can get its head out of the sand and make the platform more transparent to end users.

Uh, oh, now I'm on a rant. How much lead time did Java Applets have on Flash, and Sun just never made applets at all presentable to end users. I still can't stand Java Applets... and don't get me started on Java Web Start... [/rant]

Thanks for listening. Until later.