New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Nyhm

[Island Forge] Single-dev Player-Created Content MMORPG * Now @ Kickstarter!

Announcement: Island Forge is now Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

This update is prompted by community input and the success of my recent Kickstarter project. Thank you for your interest in Island Forge. As always, community input is most welcome!

I love old-school RPGs, and I've created a brand-new MMORPG in the old-school style that is all about player-created content. I'm really impressed by the creativity I see here at RMXPunlimited, and I hope the community will enjoy my game.

Island Forge: A World of Player-Created Content. Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore. The Brand-New Old-School MMORPG.

The setting of the game is a classic RPG fantasy world, but made up entirely of islands created by players. The Island Builder allows players to design islands as well as place NPCs (actors). Actors can be given simple linear dialog, multiple-choice responses, or complex task-based logic. You can define quest tasks for players to accomplish, and the actor conversation engine can respond to (and control) the progress of your tasks. Publish your islands to the world for others to explore.

The game engine (client, server, networking, everything) is built from scratch (by me) in the Java Programming Language.

islandforge-thumb-a.jpgislandforge-thumb-e.jpg

Edited by Nyhm

Whoa, so this is that engine you spoke of! I'll be honest with you, I AM biased against mmorpgs and the like...so I can't say I'd be playing this on a regular basis (though, I think I will check it out eventually)

Nonetheless, from an objective point of view, I'd like to say this: The concept of this game is amazing. It seems to me, almost like a dungeons & dragons type game, but instead of one dungeon master you have a community of dungeon masters contributing to create a huge world. That probably doesn't do this justice.... BUT that's what I gathered, and I think it's a really good idea.

I wish you the best, and hope to see this go somewhere, I think it has potential for something great.

Out of curiosity, was this made with a team or did you do it all yourself?

Whoa! You coded all this yourself? Looks awesome! I'll definitely be trying it out! And being a computer science student myself, it's always encouraging seeing big projects like this. And I love the idea of a community built world, heck, that's one of the major reasons I'm so into Second Life even despite all of its many flaws.

Keep this going! Looks great. :)

Thanks for the quick feedback. I wrote the code and have no external dependencies aside from Java 6. I don't mind admitting that it's really too big of a project for one person, but I'm glad to be at the point I am now. I hope to find enough players (soon) to really get it off the ground.

The game is MMO, but there is a strong solo and storytelling angle. Expeditions outside of town (where you fight creatures, clear the fog, and potentially follow quests) are instances that you can take solo and no one will be there to bother you. You can even choose No Peril mode so there aren't any pesky creatures.

Then again, if you want combat and action, you can choose Minion, Master, or Lord peril, and the more players you put into an expedition party, the more creatures there will be.

There's a lot of info on the site, but I'm very open and eager to discuss the gameplay, features, technology, etc, in as much detail as you like!

Edited by Nyhm

The concept of this game is amazing. It seems to me, almost like a dungeons & dragons type game, but instead of one dungeon master you have a community of dungeon masters contributing to create a huge world.

Agreed, I am definitely going to check this out when I have more time. Amazing job, seems right up my alley.

I appreciate your interest, and look forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks!

Can anyone here recommend other forums with users who might enjoy games based on player-created content? I'm still hoping to find more players interested in creating islands and stories. Thanks for any recommendations!

Hey I am really sorry I haven't had time to give this a whirl. I most definitely want to, but really lack the free time that this game deserves, to sit down and play it properly.

I did however take some time and approach some mmo websites on your behalf hoping they will feature your game there. I told them I was in no way affiliated with you and was merely a fan who wished to see your mmo featured along side other amazing quality games. I assumed you would be ok with this, and figured if sites were approached by someone who is not involved with the game they are more likely to take it seriously.

I provided you a list of each site I contacted, in case you want to see if they post anything. And I will let you know if any of the sites contact me back.

With any luck if they post your game, this should drum up some Beta players.

If they do feature you, I will then create an official wikipedia page for you and use their page as reference for your game, along with your official page for reference on general information. Hope it helps. I will try and get on the game as soon as I can.

Jon Bon, I am most greatful for your efforts! I really appreciate the support of (potential) players. The most important thing to understand (which you covered) is that there is no business relationship or expectation of compensation.

You certainly have my personal gratitude!

BTW, sorry to be a few days in responding to your post - apparently I'm not getting email notifications of new posts. I'll make sure I have that turned on, and check back here regularly.

I'm very excited about the RMXP game development community!

Jon Bon, I am most greatful for your efforts! I really appreciate the support of (potential) players.

You certainly have my personal gratitude!

It was well worth my time, as will playing the game be.

The most important thing to understand (which you covered) is that there is no business relationship or expectation of compensation.

Absolutely, I definitely understand that is an important aspect when handling a situation such as this.

BTW, sorry to be a few days in responding to your post - apparently I'm not getting email notifications of new posts. I'll make sure I have that turned on, and check back here regularly.

I'm very excited about the RMXP game development community!

No problem, the site notifications are not working at the moment. It is unfortunate, but a known issue and being looked into/

Thank you, we are excited to have you here, and my big bro and I are really looking forward to getting to try Island Forge as soon as we both have time.

I released Island Forge Beta v0.9.8.4 today, with several enhancements, some bug fixes, and one gameplay/rule change. Just wanted to let folks here know. As always, your feedback is most welcome.

Hello again - wanted to mention a few exiting updates.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by Nyhm

Island Forge is now listed on mmorpg.com's massive Game List. We're excited to have so many new players signing up.

In the latest beta, I've added a global roster feature, which allows you to see everyone who's in the world and direct chat with anyone (plus several other enhancements).

Many beta updates are prompted by player suggestions - your input is most welcome! For quick updates, be sure to follow at: Facebook and Twitter

Wow! Congrats man! That is great to hear. I still have yet to get enough free time to dedicate to this, as I wanna give it like a week of my time to make stuff etc. But I could tell it was going to be awesome, and by the way things are going I think others are starting to realize that too. I would wish you luck with this but you don't need it. Keep it up, and I hope to be in world some time before the Beta rate changes hehe, as I would love to be locked in for cheap.

Cheers!

Another big announcement: Island Forge @ Kickstarter!

See me talk about the game, myself, and the future of Island Forge. Island Forge is all about community participation, so please help me spread the word via Facebook, Twitter, your own blogs, news sites, and other forums. As always, your input is most welcome, and I appreciate your interest in Island Forge!

Hurray, today Island Forge @ Kickstarter reached its base goal! But it doesn't stop there - this is where many projects really take off.

I appreciate everyone who has contributed and commented so far. Let's use these final couple of days to spread the word, and see how far we can take this!

Find Island Forge on Facebook, Twitter, IndieDB, MMORPG.com, and Steam Greenlight!

Hello GDUnlimited community: I am excited to announce that Island Forge is now Free-to-Play - See the announcement in the original post of this topic!

I've tested it but theres some features i don't like

-Where is the cntr z

-mapping is abit hard

-and the cobblestone sucks