New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Jon Bon

Help an Aspiring Independent Producer/Director

Most of us here know how much a kind word and a support system can help you get a long way with your creative aspirations. Some of you may have gotten a kind word from me, someone else on this forum, or anyone else in your life at one time or another. Those kind words we get really matter, and often times we remember the people, the time, and the places when it happened, it can really be a turning point for some. I write this now to this community as you are my community of choice for creative inspiration and direction, to ask that you help inspire a fellow aspiring independent developers such as many of us.

I recently took the time to speak with my 17 year old little sister. I asked her 'what do you want to do when you're done high school?', she replied with 'produce movies'. I was excited as I had also looked into a film/acting career in my late adolescents, so I hate much advice to give her. So I said, well you know most producers start else where first, screen writing, plays, acting, anywhere they can really get in the industry. I went on to ask her, 'well do you have a youtube channel, or any videos you have made, what do you do with your spare time?'. She gave me an excuse about no free time, and how she was waiting to study it in university, and a bunch of bull. I told her, well you know there are plenty of youtube stars out there already, trying to make there dream, not to mention the people who are actually making money off of it with T-Shirt sales, and whatever else they do. I went on to tell her, well hey you need to start doing this, you are in high school which has an Audio Visual club, so why not join it, get access to thousand dollar equipment and start making movies and such for your last year of school.

I told her about this site and how the people here have helped to inspire me and fuel my ambition for my own goals, and I talked about where my direction is going and how well things are going in general. I told here to look into websites that can help her learn her craft, post her craft, and talk to and share information with other people who love her craft too.

Well, today I got an e-mail from my mother (how personal, jk) and it had a link to a video of my little sister. What I heard her talk about and the passion and truth I could hear in her voice, made me a little teary eyed. Here she was finally realizing she could do whatever she wanted in life she just had to work towards it and never stop for anything or anyone. Something that took me nearly 10 years after where she is now age wise, she was figuring out for herself with my help. I hadn't realized how much impact I was having on her the day I was saying it, I was just speaking from MY heart talking about my own beliefs and passion for my hobby. It's amazing how infectious dedication and passion can be.

The point of all this is that I would like people here to vote for her video (if they want to) to help her get her chance to meet an inspirational idol of hers, and show her that others feel the same way she does respectively about their own passions.

Please keep in mind that the quality of the video is atrocious, but it's the message/content you should be concerning yourself with. She should have asked me to help her in production but I don't think she is even far enough in the creation of her art to feel confident enough to even ask help, let alone show anyone. So I applaud her for going forth and trying to do something with her life.

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.c...entries_2656_59

One inappropriate comment about my sister, and I will literally disown the person who publicly made the comment forever.

One inappropriate comment about my sister, and I will literally disown the person who publicly made the comment forever.

You do realize I haven't grown up yet; and this statement is a bear trap for me...... EGH ah uuuuuggghh *rolls 20d; hits 20, resists!*

[bACK ON TOPIC]

I voted. And what you say is ABSOLUTELY correct. People easily get caught up in "oh, I'll never be good enough" "too much competition", etc. But truly miss the point--What's the point of dedicating your life to something you hate? I'd rather be broke and following my dreams/doing what I love, than anything else.

One of my college professor's told me something once. I was going off about how I loved what I was doing in college, that class and even homework was fun blah blah; and what he told me was: "It doesn't matter what you do, If you have a passion for it, you WILL succeed."

A good comparison, as I had mentioned how I doubt I could every build a chair (or something) and he said it was because I had no interest in it. He said if I cared about building a chair, and had interest in it--I'd probably build a better chair than anyone who was doing it for money.

A little rant of mine, but what he said was REALLY inspirational, and I think spoke WORLD's of truth; and the same would apply to you or your sister. If you have a passion for something--go for it. You will have a one up on ANYONE, who doesn't share that same passion.

Also, as a comment on the video itself--it sounds like your sister's really sincere, and does indeed have a passion for the film industry. I hope she wins!

You do realize I haven't grown up yet; and this statement is a bear trap for me...... EGH ah uuuuuggghh *rolls 20d; hits 20, resists!*

;)

I'd rather be broke and following my dreams/doing what I love, than anything else.

"It doesn't matter what you do, If you have a passion for it, you WILL succeed."

if I cared about building a chair, and had interest in it--I'd probably build a better chair than anyone who was doing it for money.

If you have a passion for something--go for it. You will have a one up on ANYONE, who doesn't share that same passion.

^That's SO true, I couldn't possibly agree more. Once you start watching interviews of people who are succesful you start to see the same drive and passion in them and hear it in their voice, once you have it yourself you start to recognize it in others too.

Also, as a comment on the video itself--it sounds like your sister's really sincere, and does indeed have a passion for the film industry. I hope she wins!

I agree, which was surprising because she is so distant and cold normally, it was nice to see her finally feel for something. I appreciate the vote, it means allot to me and to her.

Thanks to anyone else who voted as well.

Voted! wishing ur sis the best of luck with whatever this majigger is xD. and i agree with kellsd in that it did sound sincear. i think you and your sis have both bright futures ahead of you. and so i wish you both luck :D