New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Ecowolfsteen

Great...

I got tested 77% addicted to Minecraft.

Is that bad? -_-

I've been playing too much lately, and my personal hygiene got the best of me, I just realized. Don't worry, I'm clean now lol.

Edited by Ecowolfsteen

Bad, but not as bad as some people. They're some that are 90% for these types of games, now thats just sad.nono4.gif

Is it a bad thing if im proud of that? tongue.png

yea...i think being proud of any addiction is a bad thing lol

Don't feel bad im in the 80% of being addicted. I been playing at least 8 hours a day since Alpha came out.

blink.png EVERY day? Don't have study, or something?

Agreed. I remember hearing he had 'no free time', I wouldn't either if I spent 8 hours 'addicting' myself.

I used to play mmo's, but they are such a waste of time if you get sucked in. If someone were to spend 8 hours a day writing a book, it would make them money no matter how bad they were just based on the sheer volume of time they spent on it.

I try to be as productive as possible, I even watch tv as I work when I need entertainment so that I am multi tasking my time. I remember how it was to be younger and eat my time up with whatever I could fit in it. But now I think back and wonder what I could have achieved with the time I wasted. The difference between an accomplished person from a young age and someone who gets a 'mcjob' is dedication and passion, nothing else. The majority of the richest people on the planet didn't even finish post secondary school and some even high school. Why? Because they worked hard, didn't waste their time, and got what they wanted for it.

Addicts are those of weak will, nothing less nothing more. I have quit more addictive behavior then most people have started or even know about. If you enjoy it and it's not harmful, go full force. If it's starting to effect your life in anyway shape or form (like 8 hours a day play time, or low hygiene) then just stop playing because that's pathetic in my opinion. You're a human, no one thing should prevent you from eating, sleeping, cleaning or shelter, otherwise you're an addict that needs help.

To each their own, and as long as you are happy that is all that matters. But happy today doesn't always mean happy tomorrow. I would tell any mmo player to take a long hard look at their life and think to themselves 'Am I truly happy sitting here every day, with nothing real or permanent to show for it?". I asked myself that and the answer was 'no', so I stopped playing them.

I find that judging someone without knowing their situation can be a bad thing to do. Especially when motivation and dedication is something very difficult to achieve for some - eg living in a low decile area, growing up in a household with domestic violence, abuse, etc. I know personally I am extremely privileged and have every opportunity to do with my life what I want to do with it.

I think that while in your highschool, its fine to have addictions that take up a lot of your time, so long as you pass. Employers don't really care what your grades were in highschool if you go to university. After highschool, I agree with jon bon on pretty much everything, but that applies to me, and that's what I'm like. I sometimes even think about what I want to leave behind when I die in terms of financial assets.

If you know your path, and you're going down the right track (ie studying towards your degree, and passing) then if you're doing 8 hours a day on holidays, then I don't see why anyone should judge that person. I don't see how you can pass uni playing a game 8 hours a day during uni. Your employer, at least your first one, is going to look at those grades.

I remember how it was to be younger and eat my time up with whatever I could fit in it. But now I think back and wonder what I could have achieved with the time I wasted. The difference between an accomplished person from a young age and someone who gets a 'mcjob' is dedication and passion, nothing else.

You certainly do think about the time you wasted when you get older. I agree with this. I decided where I wanted my life to go when I was 14 years old. The thought of not going to uni never crossed my mind once. I'm nearly on my final year in both of my degrees, and my boss wants me to take over and run the company in the future.

I suppose since I was 14 I was terrified of the 'mcjob'. No offense to those people though, like I said, you can't judge someone when you're not in their situation. Except damn when I want a sundae at 1am you guys DONT run out of whatever you need to make my sundae...

I agree with everything except for.

I find that judging someone without knowing their situation can be a bad thing to do. Especially when motivation and dedication is something very difficult to achieve for some - eg living in a low decile area, growing up in a household with domestic violence, abuse, etc. I know personally I am extremely privileged and have every opportunity to do with my life what I want to do with it.

No bad situation can justify making it worse. If you have the internet, the help you need is readily available for those that would need it. If you live in a free country you are free to fix what ails you. Unless whatever oppresses you also oppresses your entire country, or you are helpless to do so due to age or other disability there is no excuse. Being an addict doesn't make you a victim, and being a victim doesn't make you an addict.

There was once a day not to long ago where if you didn't 'do' something each day such as 'work' you didn't eat or have shelter. Days like those are still a reality to some today, even in free countries. Addictive behavior and time wasting is like the murder of free will. Luckily that's the beauty of free will, I would fight for your right to waste your time just so I can have the right to judge you for it.

Luckily that's the beauty of free will, I would fight for your right to waste your time just so I can have the right to judge you for it.

:D Can I rep you for that?? and/or sig it?

If you live in a free country you are free to fix what ails you. Unless whatever oppresses you also oppresses your entire country, or you are helpless to do so due to age or other disability there is no excuse.

Agree to disagree then tongue.png I am 100% of the opinion you can't say that without being in someone else's situation. I think that is far from the reality of society.

I agree with Marked, and I am also of the mindset that once cannot make an educated judgement on something they have only experienced one side of. Also addiction is not a matter of willpower, ask an AA or NA member that overcame it. The belief that willpower alone defeats addiction is one of the greatest obstacles for people trying to quit to overcome. If you simply have the willpower to quit something, then you're not really addicted. Everyone makes the argument that "weak-minded" get addicted, failing to see the contradiction created if that person stops. If they stop, they wound have been strong of mind, but then how did they addicted in the first place if that's the case?

I would be 94% addicted to minecraft due to summer vacation if it wasn't for the fact that I lost 3 saves, and got sniped by 5 skeletons across a ravine under a mountain surrounded by lava. There is a bed in that mountain, there is also no hope of escape.

Skyrim addiction is nerfed b/c after 2 play through at 7-10 fps on low res, I can't take it anymore, oh and corrupted saves

that being said the DLC will soon fix that.

Really, I don't get addicted unless the loss cannot be palliated by the benefit, that being said this is hard to predict and usually unreliable when comparing long term losses to short term benefit.

At least I would say that if addiction was actually a rational decision, sure it is conscious but rational not at all. The best thing to do to fight an addiction is impair it. Its definitely easier to fight a weak addiction, that strengthen one's will.

All incoherency aside though, I find that freedom is a mirage; we're bound by our personalities and our emotions cause we aren't rational by nature. Does that validate it? No. Personalities vary and the fact is that some people aren't able to utilize there resources on there own successfully. That's why their are people who can utilize their resources effectively to end up successful. These skills aren't necessarily shared or transferable. Successful entities in general aid less successful entities, but the success itself isn't shared. If I give money to the homeless, it doesn't guarantee they will be getting jobs.

IN CONDENSED TERMS, rationally speaking, if one does not utilize his/her resources effectively, it is in fact his/her fault, BUT the conditions that influence whether or not a person is capable of doing so are entirely up to chance. There are a lot of factors in play here.

Is more or less what I'm trying say here.

In addition: I want to state the difference between things that are out of ones control and things that cannot be changed, for lack of a better term. The latter describes permanent factors usually the past which cannot be changed in terms of its effect on the present. The former describes factors that affect what you can do presently, such as if you live in a police state or in the ocean. These are barriers that affect what you can do, but aren't necessarily as limiting as the things that have already locked you out. Correct me if I'm wrong but In the US, child abuse/molestation will typically render you unemployable. Hence there is nothing that you can do to change that. Its also going to affect how people treat you. The choice was in your control, but now it cannot be changed. The job market itself is out of your control so you must deal with what jobs you can find that will employ you.

Edited by Enigma

Exactly what I was aiming for.. Bwahaha.

hey, if a mature discussion is what you were shooting for, by all means continue :D

AA has an at best 5% recovery rate, like any other recovery program, and is actually a religion where you must give yourself to god, and they use it to convert people rather then help them, they don't even publish scientific findings to validate their work . What's the recovery rate for doing nothing at all? That's right 5% same as AA, so it works, but no better then one can help themselves (do the research).

I personally beat drug addiction with zero outside help (hardcore addictive drugs, not pot). I also played mmos since the Ever Quest days and stopped that a few years ago after almost a decade of being addicted. I come from an abusive family which I left the second I could. I used my will power alone to change my life, I didn't want the one I had so I changed it. so please don't tell me what a human is or isn't capable of. We are far stronger then those that oppress us or want our money for a fake fix would have you believe. I have lived 'on the other side' and I got away all on my own, I am living proof it's possible. I have an addictive personality I now know this and have wasted part of my life finding it out, now I make the choice to not partake in addictive behavior, even though of course I want to, that's called will power due to discipline. I would like to think I'm not abnormal and anyone can achieve what I have/did they just need to know it's possible (which I did not at the time, but fixed myself anyhow).

Unless whatever oppresses you also oppresses your entire country, or you are helpless to do so due to age or other disability there is no excuse. Being an addict doesn't make you a victim, and being a victim doesn't make you an addict.

I stand by my statement. There are some that cannot help themselves, but that is not the majority.

I suggest the people here watch the show Penn and Teller: Bullshit (two autodidacts such as myself), where they tell you the bullshit that we all believe.

Season 2 Episode 4 - War On Drugs

Season 2 Episode 10- 12 Step Programs

Season 7 Episode 3 - Video Games

Season 8 Episode 9 - Self Esteem

Yes it's a television show, and yes they make money off of it, but it's been their passion to debunk lies since the beginning of their career in the 70's. They are both members of mensa and extremely intelligent and well rounded. They are my top idols, and I agree with 99% of their views even though we come from polar opposite backgrounds.

My opinions and views I expressed relate to wasting time and being addicted to stuff, please do not take my words and attempt to apply them to things such as loss of work, or outside problems I specifically did not mention. I quoted myself above to show that I had already foreseen these types of problems and addressed them accordingly as an exception to my statement.

Please do not minimize what I have overcome alone, by saying it's not possible. Addiction and drugs can be over come alone, that's all I was saying. So do not take my words and use them as an umbrella statement, that's just an ignorant misuse of their context.

THATS IT!!! I quit minecraft.

Minecraft isn't harmful, you're missing the point. It's use in moderation that is the key to taking part in potentially addictive behavior that is not harmful in small doses. Like not eating 9 hamburgers in one meal so you don't get fat, or 1 glass of wine/beer/spirit from time to time, same theory.

But if you can't use in moderation then yeah stopping is the only other alternative.

Minecraft isn't harmful, you're missing the point. It's use in moderation that is the key to taking part in potentially addictive behavior that is not harmful in small doses. Like not eating 9 hamburgers in one meal so you don't get fat, or 1 glass of wine/beer/spirit from time to time, same theory.

But if you can't use in moderation then yeah stopping is the only other alternative.

LOL, i just cant get into it anymore. Building stuffs fun....but i usually need something to have a story to get into it. Also, I figure i could be putting exstra effort into my story im writeing with the time id be playing minecraft. Ive got an interveiw tomarrow anyway, so if i get the job, i wouldent have much time to play that anyway.

I also played mmos since the Ever Quest days and stopped that a few years ago after almost a decade of being addicted.

If I may add my two cents to this conversation, I'd like to debunk another common mistake people make. There is no such thing as mmo addiction, (or game addiction). The reason for this is that in order for something to be considered addictive medically, something must be changed physically and drastically in the brain as a result of it. Sure, video games do change something, but it would be the same as you or me eating a sandwich, getting a date, or getting a promotion(not quite the same, but for simplicities sake). Those activities are simply compelling, so therefore, people struggling with game addiction aren't addicted, they are just struggling with a compelling medium. I'm not saying that playing a game to the exclusion of everything isn't healthy, neither is eating to the point of obesity or focusing on work to the exclusion of everything else. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this, that was not the intention of statement.

As far as addiction to narcotics and other drugs... I'm a bit lost. No one in my family has been addicted, and I have no desire to even touch cigarettes and alcohol, much less anything heavier. I would only say that a person can do HUGE things when their mind is set to it. A determined person can clean themselves up, find a good job, finish college, and start their own business. So I'm closer to where JonBon stands in this. Only I don't think it's a lack of willpower, I think it's a lack of desire. One has to truly desire to clean themselves up and get their life back on track. The same is true of a 35 year geek who hasn't left his mom's basement for the past 10 years except for food, restroom, and sleep. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, as it was not my intention. (I'm simply trying to add to a mature debate :D)

AA has an at best 5% recovery rate,

Love to see where that figure originated from...

they don't even publish scientific findings to validate their work

Especially after that.

...like any other recovery program, and is actually a religion where you must give yourself to god, and they use it to convert people rather then help them, they don't even publish scientific findings to validate their work . What's the recovery rate for doing nothing at all? That's right 5% same as AA, so it works, but no better then one can help themselves (do the research).

I don't mean to be rude, but this is far from what its about. I am now three years clean from a oxy/heroin habit, and although I don't attend NA meetings regularly at all anymore, this is far from truthful. I have been multiple rehabs and through multiple detoxes, and have yet to have seen anything of this sort. This is purely assumption on my part, but it seems you have some personal issue with these institutions that is clouding your judgement of them. That's just my opinion, though.

Love to see where that figure originated from...

Especially after that.

Ask and you shall receive.

Watch the episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit on 12 step programs. The information is from a closed 1989 study they(AA) did internally that the show was able to obtain. Here is the episode on youtube, watch at 20:47 (but I suggest watching the entire episode).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU2YliYttnQ

Here is an article that cites Harvard medicine for their facts which talks about normal recovery rate being 5%, and talks about AA. Read up and be properly informed, don't argue with me without evidence contrary because I have tons of evidence for. http://www.orange-pa...ectiveness.html

I don't mean to be rude, but this is far from what its about. I am now three years clean from a oxy/heroin habit, and although I

don't attend NA meetings regularly at all anymore, this is far from truthful. I have been multiple rehabs and through multiple detoxes, and have yet to have seen anything of this sort. This is purely assumption on my part, but it seems you have some personal issue with these institutions that is clouding your judgement of them. That's just my opinion, though.

Prepare to stand corrected, not much clouds my judgement if anything. That's great it worked for you, it does work (about 5% of the time, like any other method) but don't tell me they don't expect you to give yourself to god. Your program may not of but the history of alcoholics anonymous and most 12 step programs are secret recruitment for religion. This is fact and if you would like proof of this I can easily provide it.

Canada AA OFFICIAL Site- Read steps 3, 5, 6 and 11.

United Kingdoms AA OFFICIAL SITE - Read steps 3, 5, 6 and 11.

Their OFFICIAL PDF used world wide - Read steps 3, 5, 6 and 11.

Not ALL '(blank) anonymous' programs as those have such 12 steps but alcoholics anonymous and the programs they run through The A.A. Grapevine, Inc., which are many many other '(blank) anonymous' programs, are all religious recruitment places. That is a fact based on THEIR literature, not my opinions. I consider myself unbiased in most if not all matters, especially those I am properly informed about.

In all the literature I have ever read in NA, it calls it a "High Power", which it clearly and repeatedly conveys that this is not "Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior", but whatever you choose to believe. I have neither the ambition nor the care to begin a worthless debate that you are already decided on. I could, if I actually cared, go get a quick Google degree as you did and produce tons of evidence to the contrary, just as you could continue to produce.

Whatever issues you seem to have with ### Anonymous groups is your business. I base my opinion of personal experience and what I have witnessed, not a 25 year old study told on a YouTube show by some magicians with their own agendas. If it makes you sleep at night to believe these institutions are top-secret recruitment agencies trying to convert the world to Christianity, then more power to you. Cheers.

Edited by ForeverZer0

I could, if I actually cared, go get a quick Google degree as you did and produce tons of evidence to the contrary, just as you could continue to produce.

The 12 steps listed are from AA.org, that's their official website. Alcoholics anonymous want you to give yourself to god, it's in their official website literature I have shown. You are in control of your own destiny, no 'higher power' vague or specific is needed. 12 step programs make victims out of people who feel helpless. AA's methods hasn't changed in near 100 years of use, so their numbers of success will be relevant forever because they don't change their methods.

If it makes you sleep at night to believe these institutions are top-secret recruitment agencies trying to convert the world to Christianity, then more power to you. Cheers.

Their OFFICIAL website says god, you can't refute that, it is fact, and how they wish to be perceived, period.

Like I said, believe what you will.

I speak from an NA perspective, but you are taking the God thing out of context. NA usually uses the term "Higher Power", which is anything bigger or more enduring than you that helps you stay clean. That really only applies before what we call "The Conversion", which is when you are taken into the church basement and hypnotized, and given your full status as a sleeper agent in the Army of Jesus Christ. From this point on, your sole responsibility in life is to recruit more potential sleeper agents like yourself. Obviously a helpless and weak-minded drug-addict is an easy target and is recruited easily. We prey on their misfortune, not to really try and help another who was once like yourself to stay clean, but to recruit another member into the Army of Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior, blessed be his name.

You got it about it right.