New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Jesse66126

How would you respond if you were drafted into the military?

How would you respond if you were drafted into the military?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How would you respond?

• Go and serve my country.
    • "Fly south for the winter"
    • Injure myself (or get pregnant) Anything to become ineligible.
    • Go, but as soon as they give me a weapon, kill everyone I see.

Let's say hypothetically World War III breaks out. There aren't enough troops and your country starts drafting every male and female (they're desperate) between 18 and 40 in alphabetical order, and you get that letter. What would you do?

Edited by Jesse66126

I suppose in this hypothetical situation I would live in a country that actually has conscription(since I currently don't). And if I did when I would move to a country that didn't do that.

I would gladly fight in a war I believed in or on my native land to fight for freedom. However conscription represents slavery and involuntary servitude, I am expressly against it.

If as you way, hypothetically World War 3 broke out, I'd join the army voluntarily, unless the war was insanely trivial, alas, in reality, I've been told I'd be no good to the army.

Well, I do actually live in Israel where we do have conscription for military service. I am lucky that my poor vision and epilepsy serve as special conditions for not being conscripted, my wife is married and has children so she too is exempt.

my wife is married

I just wana take this quote out of context :P

A war that wasn't about money? Has there ever been one D: I wouldn't fight a world war like the wars past. If otherwise my country is in actual threat from being taken over (as opposed to just helping our allies) then I would go. I'd do it for the country. But that would never happen, particularly in a world war III.

I changed the first option leaving off the words "without fear". In hindsight, No one can go to war without being afraid at least a bit.

I just wana take this quote out of context tongue.png

Ahaha, in Israel if a woman is married or has a child then she is exempt from service xD I wrote that in such an awkward way lol

A war that wasn't about money? Has there ever been one D:

This kinda confused me. Throughout history most wars, at least as far as "major conflicts" go, aren't really about money. They usually deal more with hatred/bigotry of race/religion/ethnic group, or freedom from oppression. Obviously groups/countries that set out to conquer and claim land as their own could be construed as "for money", but even then it extends well beyond that generalized reason.

All in all, now that the first option has changed, I would choose it. I would go, and do my best, but not because I wanted to.

Well....probably i would go, but not becuz i wanted to....and id probably be haveing a nervous breakdown all the way to the battle feild. (sigh)...i dont handle conflict well, but i like to hope id be able to pull my weight.

ah World War III, ya I'll be fighting in a war for like five minutes before all the 3rd world countries start fire off nukes like pussy's. Then were screwed, unless you're country can find a way to intercept them or stop them from firing, thoughs pussy country will be the first push the button when they know there puny country is about to lose. This isn't World War I or before when there was nothing that could reach over seas blow shit up in a 10 mile radus and leave a fallout. Now a days these leaders have to be careful or the war will be over quickly. If there ever is a World War III, theres not much you can do, but hide in a vault until the fallout if over.

I click the last option for fun as non of them but the serving one is really except for the first one is really an option during World War III.

Here in the US, you have to sign up for Selective Service as soon as you turn 18. Meaning, if they reinstate the draft, you'll be legally obligated to serve your country if you're called. Being 18, I had to sign up. :/ I would go and serve my country, but only because I would have to. That's why I'm moving to Europe as soon as I save up money. Fuck america.

I have been in the Military.

I think the Halo 4 release has a secret military draft inside the game when you play online.

Edited by ShinGamix

I tried for the military before, I ended up with a medical discharge when I messed up my back, but its better now only took 7 years. I'm thinking I'll try again since I can't find a job, just waiting for the recruiter to grow a pair and give me a call, I think he's avoiding me.

Though if I was ever forced to join the military I would go willingly and freely but only if they were to pay me enough. Kinda the same way I think about voting, one of the candidates scares the hell out of me and the only way I vote for him is if he pays me enough, though I doubt that will ever happen.

I would move to Canada.

Lol I live in Canada, and there would never be conscription here...but if hypothetically it happened I would serve, Unfortunatly I do have medical conditions that prevent me from serving in the military so they wouldn't accept me.

Kinda the same way I think about voting, one of the candidates scares the hell out of me and the only way I vote for him is if he pays me enough, though I doubt that will ever happen.

You so do not deserve to vote :P

Why does everyone here have medical conditions D: Before I was aware that my military was aiding completely immoral allies for corrupt political agendas, I considered it. But the training lifestyle suits me, I'm pretty sure I'd do well.

I said it before, I wouldn't go. I'd definitely stand by my country and fight for its freedom, if that was something that was ever at jeopardy, which it never is. So never. I think of how decorated and respected all of our veterans here are. I think, why the hell did you go in the first place? Yes you put your life on the line, that was courageous of you, but why? Because the US likes to invade everyone? Because NZ has a "duty to contribute to peace"? Bullshit. You fought and died with your mates over bullshit.

5753069_460s.jpg

Well being a former enlisted man I wouldn't have any qualms with going as long as there are valid reasons to be at war.I'm quite surprised our country(The U.S.) at present still holds to this voluntary army thing relying on a select few to fight for the freedoms of all.Resulting in these people who have multiple deployments further highteninng the odds that one day they won't be coming back.

I'm quite surprised our country(The U.S.) at present still holds to this voluntary army thing relying on a select few to fight for the freedoms of all.Resulting in these people who have multiple deployments further highteninng the odds that one day they won't be coming back.

Perhaps they can't find other jobs and need to support their family. Being in the military is perceived by most as honorable and they're labelled the people who fight for your freedom. That's ironic not because your freedom is not at jeopardy, but because you're likely to piss people off which actually increases the risk of retaliation. It's also easy to rape and kill civilians if you're in a developing country. You may get a slap on the wrist for it.

EDIT: I mean no disrespect to you, of course. Its still honorable to fight for something if you genuinely believe that something is actually what you are fighting for.

But when I think about these things, lets take the US drone attacks that slaughter innocent civilians. Just because my country is an "alley" to the US, we look the same, we dress the same, doesn't make us any better than those civilians in a developing country. Just because their houses look like shacks, they're poor and their country clearly doesn't have a stable government. People like us care less. Just think about the family member you love most (perhaps your wife) and just think about her being murdered by a foreign country invading you. It hurts just the same whoever you are. If you genuinely believed you were fighting for freedom, but you killed innocent civilians, who is to blame? Who should get punished for that?

Makes you think who the real terrorists in the world are. Probably not who your TV tells you they are. So long as war is profitable, there will be war.

Perhaps they can't find other jobs and need to support their family. Being in the military is perceived by most as honorable and they're labelled the people who fight for your freedom. That's ironic not because your freedom is not at jeopardy, but because you're likely to piss people off which actually increases the risk of retaliation. It's also easy to rape and kill civilians if you're in a developing country. You may get a slap on the wrist for it.[/Quote]

I'm not blind to the abuses that come with power.I think over all our troops show good judgment and restraint but you will always have a few brutes giving a otherwise honorable profession a bad name.I also haven't turned a blind eye to the corruption of those in power here either.But I think a way to cut back on that is making a draft necessary if you declare war.I think the reason why you have wars lasting as long as they have now is because you don't have enough people feeling the loss.When you have only a few in service compared to your population then you get this disconnect, which invites corruption and misuse of military forces.

After I crap bricks, I'd get up and fight. Plenty have done it so maybe I can. War is a scary thing for me but if I have to, I will. But it all depends who I'm fighting for.