New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

Create a Game in 1 month

the last time i tried to make this contest work, it failed because we couldn't decide on a date to start, and many people simply forgot about it or never saw it. So i would like to try again with this contest, and this time the start date is fully up to all of us. i will not enforce a start date this time, and maybe we can agree and get this contest going this time. to save time, i've copied and pasted my original post i made last year around this time. Yes i've been out awhile, because of life. but for now, i am coming back to try and get involved again, and eventually make my own game and showcase it here.

In the past we’ve seen contests where people have proposed to make a game in a day or a week with some if any restrictions. I’ve come up with a new idea on this: 1 month to create the best game you can. Eventing, scripting, the works, all finished. To add a challenge, I’ve come up with the following rules and restrictions:

Engine:

You can use either RPG Maker XP, or VX.

Characters, sprites, tilesets, etc.:

You can use default tilesets that came with either engine, or you can make your own. However, should you decide use custom tilesets,

1. If you are not the author of the tilesets, you must give full credit to the original author of the tilesets. If you got them from this site and an author is not listed, stating you got them from gdunlimited.net is acceptable.

2. If you are the original author of the tilesets, you are allowed to finish incomplete tilesets for this contest. You can also start making tilesets for this contest ahead of time, but ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE DECLARED YOU WILL COMPETE.

Storyline:

Story must be complete. After all, you can’t have an RPG without a story. No to be continued, it must be a complete story from beginning to end.

Winner and prizes:

Winner will be determined by several factors, including:

Creativity

Originality

Use of Maps effectively

Use of scripts (if custom scripts are used)

Storyline

When we decide on a start date, i'll post it in this post, or i'll make a new one.

Send submissions to me via pm. i recommend using mediafire, or another filehost to send me the game files. No password protected zip files please.

Judges:

• Railfan101

Competitors:

Good luck to all of you.

(If any of the above rules are unfair, such as the map limit, or the rules under the characters, tilesets title, please let me know, and I’ll consider making them more fair. However, I won’t change a rule if I feel it’ll make the challenge too easy.)

Edited by railfan101

Oh yeah, I'm really gonna send an original unencrypted game to some guy i don't know anything about. Starting some obscure game contest.

But I guess i can give you a shoulder, download the "Battle tournament" one from my signature. It is encrypted but i don't really have an unencrypted version any more, not that i would trust you with it anyway. It was made in about a week, with stock graphics and no scripts. Feel free to consider it a submission, if not, your loss.

stating you got them from rmxpunlimited.net is acceptable.

It's gdunlimited.net now ;)

Oh yeah, I'm really gonna send an original unencrypted game to some guy i don't know anything about. Starting some obscure game contest.

That's a bit harsh. As obscure as it may seem to you, the guy is just trying to create a contest for the community. I admit its on the more optimistic side in terms of participation, particularly given the time of year and current activity on the site, etc.

That said..

Send submissions to tp9249@gmail.com (When you send it, please don’t encrypt the files.)

I think you just copied from your post that you made over a year ago? There's not much sense in sending submissions to an email address, we have a PM system here and a contest held on GDU should be managed through GDU. And what is the justification for non encrypted files? Enforcing rules?

It's gdunlimited.net now ;)

That's a bit harsh. As obscure as it may seem to you, the guy is just trying to create a contest for the community. I admit its on the more optimistic side in terms of participation, particularly given the time of year and current activity on the site, etc.

That said..

I think you just copied from your post that you made over a year ago? There's not much sense in sending submissions to an email address, we have a PM system here and a contest held on GDU should be managed through GDU. And what is the justification for non encrypted files? Enforcing rules?

Honestly, i dont' remember why i left that line in. I guess i didn't want to have a user submit me a game, and then i can't use it because it's protected by a password or something. i guess i also wanted to make sure if they used any scripts, they gave credit and not claimed them as their own. part of my judging method was going to be analyzing how the game was made and determining did the user use the maps wisely, or just remake maps over and over again for every event that was needed.

but if i'm going to get a fuss over that small fact, i guess judging will be limited, and not thorough. Darn.

1. Isn't that called NaGaDeMo? I seen that contest on a few other forums.

2. If you had a Mod or admin from gdu as a judge the contest would seem more legit.

3. Why Unecrypted, if you're not an official of the forum? and an email seems like your diverting the contest off-site of GDU.

Makes me want to encrypt mine even more now.

4. and you copied and pasted the text from an old topic? If you want a new contest, you could have wrote a new topic.

5. Hey you know Ace is out now btw? Why was that not included in the contest?

Also IG Maker and GDU supports any maker now doesn't it? So why is only XP and VX listed?

6. Can we use other makers besides the ones listed?

7. Prizes? Where are they listed?

you'll just have to accept that some people have issues with revieling their personal property to strangers. Honestly you can judge the game without looking at the base files, there is no need to look at the sprite sheets/tile sets. You can judge their awesomeness just by how well they work in game.

I'm tempted to join in but I haven't done a game in a while and am unsure how far i'd be able to take it.

and are teams allowed?

Who wants to be on a team for a month?

All seems good to me, just use GDU's PM system rather than email like others have stated, simple matter solved. Good luck to you and anyone entering. I might give it a swing but fear I won't stick to it as I am very busy with two games myself. Both have custom graphics and take forever to make, never mind the hours of animation, drawing frame by frame that it requires...

If I where to suggest a time plan, I would do as follows, or something simialr anyway.

• Wait until a minimum of 5 people enter.
  • Give one week notice before contest officially begins.
  • 1-2 weeks judging period. Depending on number of judges available.
  • Publically announce winner and PM the contestants.

but if i'm going to get a fuss over that small fact, i guess judging will be limited, and not thorough. Darn.

It's not a small fact to some people, however I think some have forgotten that they're supposed to create the game for the purpose of the contest. Can't they be judged purely by just playing the games? You can make them the correct way or not so correct way but at the end of the day its the end result that counts.

and are teams allowed?

Who wants to be on a team for a month?

That would be cool, would possibly increase participants. Teams and individuals, would that be too unfair? What if forum members paired or teamed up to compete against others?

Also @railfan101 I want to reformat your original post :> Just to make it more clear and structured. I really feel the urge to do that.. but lets sort out the new rules first. I nominate Wyzrd to be another judge.

What about making it where ppl HAVE to be on teams? It would be a great team building exercise and more ppl would enter.

So lets have a VX team, a XP team, and an Ace Team. Each team will have one to four people. Team expansions will be made if enough members decide to enter. Any other makers will be added as needed also.

and yes Wyzrd must judge since it his duty as member of the month!

Yup, I was harsh. But I just told him what everybody else would think about his contest.

I guess i didn't want to have a user submit me a game, and then i can't use it because it's protected by a password or something.

You do know that encryption simply means that you cant access the game files, don't you? If the game doesn't run it's not gonna help having the unencrypted project.

I think some have forgotten that they're supposed to create the game for the purpose of the contest.

Cough cough, I didn't forget, I'm just lazy. >_>

Besides I don't see anywhere that says the game is supposed to be made for the purpose of the contest.

That would be cool, would possibly increase participants. Teams and individuals, would that be too unfair?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have that option, it just becomes too unbalanced if some people have a whole team and some do all the work alone.

What about making it where ppl HAVE to be on teams?

I don't think there are enough people active on the forum to have a number of teams ;/

If I wasn't busy with other stuff, I'd jump at participating in. My last time participating in a contest like this was moderately successful.

I'll tell Wyz about his nomination.

<sigh> oh how this community has changed.

I didn't expect resistence this time around, but i guess that's expected from someone who's come back after a year absence and then posts a contest right away. maybe i should've tried presenting a game first before reposting this, then maybe resistence would have been lower.

Yes teams are allowed. There is no limit to how many people are on a team, but please use common sense about it. just because you can have a team of let's say 12 members, doesn't mean you should. You might not be able to delegate enough work to all of them, and some would be left in the dark.

@Marked: You're the admin. You don't need my permission to modify my posts. If you feel you need to fix it to make it better, go ahead and do so. you don't need to wait for me to say something.

I feel bad now that i tried to make a contest i think a lot of people would enjoy, and instead i'm getting backlash because of a few lines i left in that have apparently offended users already.

as for prizes, my original thought was the feeling of completing a game in one month start to finish i thought was reward enough, but considering how this community is taking my attempt at a contest idea, that's definitly out of the question, unless you guys decide that's a good idea (unlikely with the current attitude)

if this contest ends up being forgotten again, i won't try to ressurect it a third time since if we can't get it going a second time, then it's not worth it, and a horrible idea.

the choice is yours regarding the direction this will go, but i don't see myself having a large influence in this, despite me being the original poster, my idea, and horrid backlash for one line that offended a couple of you already. (Saltome)

<sigh> oh how this community has changed.

I didn't expect resistence this time around, but i guess that's expected from someone who's come back after a year absence and then posts a contest right away. maybe i should've tried presenting a game first before reposting this, then maybe resistence would have been lower.

Don't work yourself up over this. When I created my contest only 1 person entered so he won by default.

Yes teams are allowed. There is no limit to how many people are on a team, but please use common sense about it. just because you can have a team of let's say 12 members, doesn't mean you should. You might not be able to delegate enough work to all of them, and some would be left in the dark.

I think the 'common sense' remark is un-needed.

@Marked: You're the admin. You don't need my permission to modify my posts. If you feel you need to fix it to make it better, go ahead and do so. you don't need to wait for me to say something.

He says it, out of respect no doubt.

I feel bad now that i tried to make a contest i think a lot of people would enjoy, and instead i'm getting backlash because of a few lines i left in that have apparently offended users already.

Try not to take it to heart and as for the people backlashing...perhaps they should learn how to better explain themselves without making an @$$ out of themselves.

as for prizes, my original thought was the feeling of completing a game in one month start to finish i thought was reward enough, but considering how this community is taking my attempt at a contest idea, that's definitly out of the question, unless you guys decide that's a good idea (unlikely with the current attitude)

A prize is not needed, but if you have any skills something simple like: I will make you a sprite or script. If you can not then perhaps points.

if this contest ends up being forgotten again, i won't try to ressurect it a third time since if we can't get it going a second time, then it's not worth it, and a horrible idea.

Thinking negative will only bring more haters to the topic. Perhaps try something different like: Create a Side Quest in a month. It's not a matter of who likes it, but a matter of who has time to participate in it. Plus a time frame is unfair for a full game. remember every time you played a commercial game that sucked because it was rushed?

the choice is yours regarding the direction this will go, but i don't see myself having a large influence in this, despite me being the original poster, my idea, and horrid backlash for one line that offended a couple of you already. (Saltome)

Do not be discouraged by the acts/opinion of one person.

~Keven

Edited by Noob Saibot

oh how this community has changed.

How you keep saying. You're right, unfortunately our most active users have left us. You're too negative. I've read all the posts in this topic and your negativity is unfounded and irrational. Please try to stop it, or at least stop implying how worse this community is from the last time you were here.

the choice is yours regarding the direction this will go, but i don't see myself having a large influence in this, despite me being the original poster, my idea, and horrid backlash for one line that offended a couple of you already.

If enough interest is shown then we'll hold this contest as official and organize it properly, advertise and find judges.

Those interested, could you please make your interest known? And also, when does the US go on holiday? We want to find a month where the majority of likely participants don't have school or anything major going on.

Railfan.

You don't need to be so dramatic.

The resistance is there because your contest isn't clearly designed and your post isn't properly laid out.

In fact people aren't resisting, they are just expressing their concerns and trying to help you set it up.

It's great that you are trying again despite failing before, but if you failed once already why should I believe that you can make it this time around? And if you just copied the previous post it means that you are lazy, maybe too lazy to see this contest trough. And it means you probably didn't learn anything from last time.

You are right about making a game though, it's a good idea to become part of the community before asking them to invest their time in return of "a prize". That's like going to a new town and asking people to work for you for free, promising that you will give them something in the end, It's just too shady. Instead of acting like a victim, take the chance that your topic generated so much attention, work with the admins. Knowing that the admins are behind the contest people will feel more secured about participating. Also instead of being discouraged from the criticism you are getting, you should listen to what people are saying and change the contest to the needs of the participants. Like the rewards, the email and the encryption.

I am more inclined to take part in this if its a team effort, but like I said it would be unfair if some people have to do all the work themselves while others get to work in a team. And you "don't have influence" because you are making this contest for the community, not for your own enjoyment.

As for the format itself, i like ShinGami's idea, one team for each of the rpg maker programs, I'd love to be able to rub it in those rpg maker vx and ace fans faces that rpg maker xp is the best one. It will also be a team building experience and it will give a chance to relatively new members to show their skill and meet with the other people on the forum that use the same program.

The reward doesn't need to be anything expensive, people were just concerned because you said that there will be one but never specified what it would be.

Saibot.

There is no backlash, and nobody is making an ass out of anybody. Railfan is just overreacting.

There are no haters around, just people who are trying to realize his idea.

As far as the game goes, this is supposed to be a challenge, he does not expect you to make a game of the rate of Skyrim, StarCraft 2 or Borderlands, but it's supposed to be a chellange. I have made games in less than a month before, so such goal is not out of the question.

@Marked, US gooes on Holidays for 21/2 Weeks sometime in December. I guess it'd be somewhat ideal to start it then, but that is nearly 60 days away.

I reallyl ike contests, reward or no. Its just that I can't always join them. But it'd be fun to play other users to see what they can do in a month. Hurry up and join people. GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOOGGOGOGOGOGOGO

GL HF NO RE

I'm thinking start a fresh topic with a poll to see who's interested, and get members to "watch" the topic so that when we start the contest, they'll be notified. I think we should hold it during that holiday break, because you know, there's never a shortage of people who overestimated the challenge.

Knowing that the admins are behind the contest people will feel more secured about participating.

How true lol...

As for the US and timing, it honestly wouldn't matter as there are other factures to remember such as being away on holiday.

Also, just for kicks, go here and use the adventure template that first appears.

Edited by Broken Messiah

As for the US and timing, it honestly wouldn't matter as there are other factures to remember such as being away on holiday.

I consider that more infrequent than not, but yeah we just to figure out when most people are going to be most free, whether during holidays or not. I wouldn't know :P I haven't had a holiday since last Christmas :(

Well, I am working on a project which I do hope I finish by next month. This would be a nice motivator for me.

The thing is that I take a lot of pride in my game. For me to send an unencrypted copy to someone I just met would make me uneasy.

My suggestion would be to make your OP more structured and have all the questions we've asked in this topic addressed before you begin to accept contestants.

I'll join this contest as long as a prize is determined, I can send an encrypted version, a Mod or Admin is a judge or at least overlooks the event, and we use the GDU PM system.

Let us not forget that even encrypted games are not as safe as they use to be...also i'm joining if I didn't state that.

Also, as far as having teams based on the engine...i'm pretty sure 80% of the active members use XP, so not sure how that will work out.

Also-also(lol): Can I go with a visual novel style?

Edited by Broken Messiah