New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

Create a Game in 1 month

OK, so Tom and I are entering as a duo team.

Tomo2000 and RGangsta. :D

What do you guys think of a late November start?

Let us not forget that even encrypted games are not as safe as they use to be...also i'm joining if I didn't state that.

That's true. The default encryption is pretty easy to break. But lets drop this encryption discussion altogether. It was removed from the original post a while ago so its no longer an issue.

How true lol...

Are you saying the rest of what I said wasn't true? :P

Also, just for kicks, go hereand use the adventure template that first appears.

You sure love that site don't you :)

Tomo2000

Ah, so it's gonna be a zombie apocalypse. :D

Ah, so it's gonna be a zombie apocalypse. :D

Hahaha :D I love this forum. Not sure yet, still working on it.

oh can we have a theme to it or a game title? It would be great to see what each team would create if lets say the game had to be called "Zombie Apocalypse" or something.

RGansta got snatched up for a team while I was at work! DAMMIT!

A theme would be cool, but Tom and I have our hearts set one a specific theme. Would kinda hate it if it changed.

By the way, Shin, early bird catches the worm. :P

@Marked

Late November is perfect for me.

Edited by rgangsta

My vote is against a theme. I think it should be free and the main challenge being the time.

The original poster, railfan101, PM'd me informing me that he will be too busy to run the contest. He was also afraid of being attacked despite what I said in PM and despite the posts in his favor in this topic. Which I find really unfortunate. So instead, as I said before, this topic will be used to discuss the parameters of the contest and get a feel for who's interested. Then in November we will make an official topic and it will be an official GDU contest.

People have talked about submitting their previous works. The contest is called "game in a month" which sorta implied the challenge is the time. I don't think anyone will be against a rule that states you can only start the game at an official start date?

My vote is against a theme. I think it should be free and the main challenge being the time.

I completely agree with Marked. I think adding a theme would give people an advantage and disadvantage. For example, if the theme were zombies, there are so many problems people would encounter. Even with a month before hand and a month to go with, I think it would be difficult, at the very least, for a small team, or even one person, to find a modern/zombie tileset(s), the sprites, music, scripts and such available for it. Plus, as I said earlier, with the theme, it would be like asking Justin Beiber and Dethklok to have a contest to decide who the better metal artist would be. I think it just gives too much of an advantage. However, without a theme, everyone has a bit of a specialty, and their own little blend into what they want; whether it's medieval, or modern, futuristic, so on, so forth.

The idea is optimistic enough without the challenge of a theme :P I think in the contest topic we'll make sure people understand that a game doesn't need to have 100hrs playtime.

However this gives me an idea. To make sure everyone submits a legitimate game, we could require that each game have some common element. For example, its defined in the contest rules that the main enemy/bad guy be one that the contest gives you. To the extent that we provide the graphic and name. Some common element like that so each game has its own spin on how that enemy is defeated. Or it could be the hero. Or it could be the hero AND the bad guy.

The idea is optimistic enough without the challenge of a theme :P

I know what you mean, but on the other hand I think there's no point in having a contest with no theme (or at least common element, as you suggested). There's this French RPG Maker contest called "Alex d'or" everyone can participate in with any projects, whatever the theme/game type/project advancement... so there's no main criterion to judge the entries with, and the winners always end up being those who spent the most time on their projects (usually several years) since they're inevitably those who score the best globally. Besides, how can you compare entries, say on gameplay, when you get things as different as RPG/puzzle games/action games/visual novels and so on? Also, as you said, giving a theme or some other kind of constraint ensures people make legit entries.

Maybe a good type of constraint would be "make a game that plays in one hour max centered around said theme". People might be more willing to participate in since it's made clear that the game must be very short and it ensures no one makes any longer projects - also game length would not be a judging criterion. As you can see, i'm pretty frustrated to always be left behind no-life, hardcore game-makers who have no idea at all but can spend twenty hours a day mapping and programming events. :P

Perhaps a poll is in order? However, we'd have to have the poll only to those judging and those as contestants, of course.

I don't think there should be a theme, It will reduce the variety of the entries.

...being attacked? Let me go get my big bad bazooka...

I would be against such a rule x)

I made the game in advance but it was made in under a month, so doesn't actually defy any of the rules of the contest, as they are right now.

Well, the common element is a nice idea, though if you want to cheat you will find a way to do it, all it takes are a couple of tweaks.

But I think that since the participants are from the forum, we can assume that they will abide by the rules.

I hope this contest goes well, even without me involved.

@Saltome I don't know how you behave with other members or new members, but you've effectively scared me away from this place with your attitude. try to look at it from my perspective, i'm a member who vanished for awhile because of real life. i tried this contest before and it didn't go well. this forum moved to this new domain and it was recommened i try again when we made the move.

so i did, and you respond with your big attitude with "nonono you can't do that" and other stuff to bascially tell me you are not thinking and this was a terrible idea. maybe no maybe yes. since apparently the overall consensus is this could work,

Since i've already pulled myself out of this contest despite coming up with the idea in the first place, i can't come back in, unless my schedule opens up (not going to happen anytime soon) or if anyone thinks it might be a benefit if i judged the contest like i originally planned it. but since many changes have been made since i stopped following this thread, it might not be appropriate.

Thank you Saltome thank you for ruining my return experience here and effectively making me disappear from this place. I hope your happy.

Listen, I am sorry for being so harsh with you. But you are gravely misjudging the situation.

Time and time again we are trying to make you understand , that all we want to do is help you.

We won't assault you, we won't steal your idea, but you just refuse to listen. And I won't chase after you.

Thank you Saltome thank you for ruining my return experience here and effectively making me disappear from this place. I hope your happy.

Please dont leave because of 1 rude member. Ignore all the changes he wanted made and continue as normal. If he dont like it dont put him in the contest.

Listen, I am sorry for being so harsh with you. But you are gravely misjudging the situation.

Time and time again we are trying to make you understand , that all we want to do is help you.

We won't assault you, we won't steal your idea, but you just refuse to listen. And I won't chase after you.

I dont want to sound rude but im starting to really get sick of your negative attitude all the time. Your dragging the whole forum down.

You have officially been put on my watch list. I would suggest that you dont even join this contest since you seem to have a hard time following simple rules.

i don't know what to say. i really don't

i tried to come on as being positive, and it's still seems to be negative to you guys.

i don't know what to do.

i was about to post a really colorful post that would most likely get me banned and send out a large flamewar that isn't nessesary in a place like this. the only reason i didn't is i want to try and salvage the mess i made. but i don't know if i can.

I will be more than happy to bow out of entering and run the contest in place of raf, if Marked will approve it. That could actually work better for me at this time since I am injured, sick, and my allergies are all acting up at once. I would also like to ask if this would be okay with the other participants? and yes the theme idea was a bad idea but may be useful in a later contest.

Edited by ShinGamix

i don't know what to say. i really don't

i tried to come on as being positive, and it's still seems to be negative to you guys.

i don't know what to do.

i was about to post a really colorful post that would most likely get me banned and send out a large flamewar that isn't nessesary in a place like this. the only reason i didn't is i want to try and salvage the mess i made. but i don't know if i can.

Stop beating yourself up, bro. You didn't mess anything up. You just forgot a few details which you can easily add thanks to the Edit button.

If you ever felt like you were being attacked, I guarantee you that you weren't. Maybe we were too abrasive with our comments but we meant no harm.

Marked and Shin gave an idea of running the contest for you. If you really feel like you can't do it, they're here to help.

I, for one, don't care about any prize at the end so there's no need to add a prize to the contest...unless the prize is a copy of XP. I lost it on my old computer since I got this new one. :(

Anyways, cheer up.

@Saltome

I've read some of your posts and they do sound a bit harsh. Tone it down just a bit. You're probably the type of person who likes to tell it like it is but sometimes that doesn't work out. Ever watch Dave Chappelle's "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong"?

Ever watch Dave Chappelle's "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong"?

That guy's funneh :D

Well lets not drag this on too much. I have to defend Saltome here. He made one post that he probably regrets in response to a post that looked shady but just happened to be perfectly legit. That happens. Lets not forget that this in light of our good friend railfan being a wee bit too sensitive to the situation (no offense). I'm not saying I'm taking sides, Saltome just made an apology and its clear to me he never had an intention to attack anyone, so lets forget about the whole incident. It's not a big deal unless you make it one, and I expect railfan to accept the apology.

I LOVE Chappelle. Can never get enough of his bits. My fav is the one where they gamble in the basement. :D

Yeah, Marked, you're right.

I felt this topic is going off-topic anyways.

@Shin

Yep. Tom and I are a duo team. Gonna make the coolest game EVAR!

That guy's funneh :D

Well lets not drag this on too much. I have to defend Saltome here. He made one post that he probably regrets in response to a post that looked shady but just happened to be perfectly legit. That happens. Lets not forget that this in light of our good friend railfan being a wee bit too sensitive to the situation (no offense). I'm not saying I'm taking sides, Saltome just made an apology and its clear to me he never had an intention to attack anyone, so lets forget about the whole incident. It's not a big deal unless you make it one, and I expect railfan to accept the apology.

And i do accept it, if i didn't make that clear before.

Now the question is, where do we go from here?

Now the question is, where do we go from here?

I think we finalize some rules, some marking criteria of some description, an official start date, and start listing contestants, judges and teams :3

Unless anyone has any issues to the contrary: The contest will be run officially by GDU and advertised and organized as such. The sign-ups and official announcement will be made in November approximately 2 weeks before the official start date in late November. This topic will serve as a draft for the rules which will be finalized before the official announcement and set in stone at the time of the official start date.

Sound good?

Wow, a lot was discussed in the pass few days XD(getting away from the urge to lol)

So um, as I last asked, is using vx to make a visual novel esque game a viable submittion? There wouldn't be any battlesystem so I'm not sure if it would be fair...