New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

Create a Game in 1 month

I think that, rather the games be judged on storyline, graphics, etc.. (which will be completely different per game, and then any RTP graphics would be, I don't know, not graded at all?), that we should be grade the games on some pretty simple marking criteria, such as how enjoyable playing the game was, how well it pulled you into the storyline, etc, things like that that can be marked without any real advantage from team to team.

I think that, rather the games be judged on storyline, graphics, etc.. (which will be completely different per game, and then any RTP graphics would be, I don't know, not graded at all?), that we should be grade the games on some pretty simple marking criteria, such as how enjoyable playing the game was, how well it pulled you into the storyline, etc, things like that that can be marked without any real advantage from team to team.

Personally I grade a game with rpg makers from their story, events, writing ability, main goal, map making and if any side quests/ itmes/ achievements.

I think limiting the use of additional resources might make things more even for newer user and super users! aka suggestion.

I think limiting the use of additional resources might make things more even for newer user and super users! aka suggestion.

Agreed, I think this was suggested in the first page? I can't remember, I'll have to check back soon. How about using only default everything including music, paralex, sprites etc too.

So would you say we could parallax map but with the RTP resources only?

Yeah do anything with anything but just use all default stuff. Maybe it's a bit too strict though, a custom title screen for example isn't such a massive adavntage over others, same can go to message box graphics, fonts and maybe even sprites now I think about it.

custom sprites? then that messes up the whole only-rtp stuff there.

I don't understand why we'd need a limitation on resources. The project is to create a game in a month, and that's the real challenge. It isn't to create an RTP-only game in a month. I think custom resources should be allowed, as some projects wouldn't be functional with just RTP graphics (like my own, for example).

Why do we need to make it fairer for newer members? It's a contest and the best shall win. Lets attract talented game makers to the contest, limiting to default RTP is far too restrictive particularly where this contest is across multiple engines. I think it will decrease the number of participants. The games shouldn't be judged on their graphics because no game will make all their own sprites, they shouldn't receive credit or advantage merely because they can "find" superior graphics. On the hand, graphics can be judged on their particular usage and overall consistency with each other.

So my vote is against limiting graphics. Maybe we need a poll.

I think, on the topic of graphics, a poll would be somewhat redundant. If non-limited graphics wins, then everyone wins, I guess. If limited graphics wins, however, it would be pretty detrimental to those whose projects wont operate well with RTP graphics only.

I'm against the graphic limitations as well, since 100% of the graphics in my game are not rtp

Are there any new members even involved in the contest? Everyone I'm aware of are staple members.

Edited by Broken Messiah

i doubt you could call me a new member since i registered over a year ago.

I did say initially i wanted to judge this contest, but after the changes, that might not work so well. Since i might misjudge someone by accident. i've been watching this thread in silence, and stating i couldn't be a part of it or involved in some way might've been premature.

I've been thinking about this over the last few days and pondering what i've said to everyone. As being the original poster and the one with the idea in the first place, i feel i have some things to say.

first and foremost, I'm really sorry to everyone for my behavior. I never intended on bringing on a negative mood towards this contest, which looks like it could be a success. I apologize for not listening and thinking some of your ideas wouldn't work (in silence whoever said i wasn't paying attention was true)

I did mention to Marked, that i might not be able to be involved because of my schedule. that too i think was premature because after looking at my schedule again, i do have some time to have some involvement in this contest. Whether it be a judge or something else, i would like to reinsert myself into this contest and have some involvement if that's ok with the Admins, and the rest of the community.

If i had a reputation, i now feel i unintentionally damaged it, and i would like the opportunity to repair it.

It's all good, rail. I don't mind you being a judge in the contest. It's your contest so naturally you'd be a judge.

Hey, after you're done with this contest, you think you can be a reviewer?

I have a little thing I would like to be reviewed. :D

I did say initially i wanted to judge this contest, but after the changes, that might not work so well. Since i might misjudge someone by accident. i've been watching this thread in silence, and stating i couldn't be a part of it or involved in some way might've been premature.

I did mention to Marked, that i might not be able to be involved because of my schedule. that too i think was premature because after looking at my schedule again, i do have some time to have some involvement in this contest. Whether it be a judge or something else, i would like to reinsert myself into this contest and have some involvement if that's ok with the Admins, and the rest of the community.

It's all good, rail. I don't mind you being a judge in the contest. It's your contest so naturally you'd be a judge.

Hey, after you're done with this contest, you think you can be a reviewer?

I have a little thing I would like to be reviewed. :D

Except that...

Unless anyone has any issues to the contrary: The contest will be run officially by GDU and advertised and organized as such. The sign-ups and official announcement will be made in November approximately 2 weeks before the official start date in late November. This topic will serve as a draft for the rules which will be finalized before the official announcement and set in stone at the time of the official start date.

Sound good?

Since the site itself is taking over the contest, its likely judging will be done by either staff or other well-known members in the community so that members who submit their projects know that it will be judged as fairly as possible.

I guess that's best at the moment. I don't know how many members trust me now after the posts i've made over the last week or so. And yes i did see your decision to take over. and that comes after i told you i couldn't be involved. and now that i think about it, taking the burden off me, someone who's never run one of these things before, to someone who has, is probably a good idea since i could potentially do something stupid and not even know it.

Well if you think you'll have the time to be a judge Rail then by all means do so and I also think a good ideas is, as already mentioned, that GDU staff/ reputable members could also be judges.to help.

Just to note: Now that light has been shone on the matter it is far better to not limit to using default rtp graphics especially since multiple engines are allowed to be used.