New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Noob Saibot

Game Making Software List

Double posted so the first post is free of casual conversation!

Well making this list I found a lot, but I am being some what picky because some I found where not true Game Making Software. However, I did find a few I did not know existed like Game Salade, Engine001, and Construct 2 which I will be checking out.

I have tried RPG Tool Kit and did not care for it, but that was back in 2009 so who knows if they changed anything since then and Jump Craft (originally called Game Studio) I found rather limited in power.

Out of the commercial ones I liked Garage Games Torque 2D the best and if you have the extra money I say buy it. It does have a Free Trail available as well.

~Keven Edited by Noob Saibot

Are you looking for the whole list or just top end commercial products?

You can post any you know and I'll add them to the list. It's a work in progress type thing.

~Keven

Edited by Noob Saibot

Do you want to include stuff like Open Zelda, Mario Bros X and even the SkyRim creation package?

RPGToolkit is the same as I remember it, simple but bugged lol

Another good choice is 3d Flash Animator, good at what it does the only issue is that it has a memory leak issue and will eventually crash after being open for a extended period of time, so save often lol, in fact my first project of importance was a joint effort between the toolkit and 3dfa and the toolkit was for the game side and the 3dfa was for the launcher.

I don't see why the Bethesda modding software shouldn't count since it directly involves the editing and creation of game content.

Edited by Broken Messiah

Lets consider the purpose of the topic for a moment. Googling a bunch of engines without properly looking into them is just going to dilute the list and the topic becomes useless. That may not be what you meant, but I think we should keep it high quality.

I don't see why the Bethesda modding software shouldn't count since it directly involves the editing and creation of game content.

Is it inside of the game itself?

Update

ADDED: Unreal Kit, GamePlay 3D, and Maratis 3D.

REMOVED: Golden Realm as it is not up to par.

Other Updates: Added Shortcut Key search instructions for finding OS specific software.

GDU Staff: If you think it is worthy enough can a Mod or Admin Pin this topic?

~Keven

Edited by Noob Saibot

Gamemaker 8.1Pro one of the best i had game maker since V.5 and its one of the most simplest things i've ever used

GDU Staff: If you think it is worthy enough can a Mod or Admin Pin this topic?

~Keven

Its been pinned since yesterday. few min after you made it. I was going to do it but i guess marked pinned it. This is worthy of a pin.

Gamemaker 8.1Pro one of the best i had game maker since V.5 and its one of the most simplest things i've ever used

Game Maker is already on the list.

Its been pinned since yesterday. few min after you made it. I was going to do it but i guess marked pinned it. This is worthy of a pin.

Oh, I did not notice that. I been looking at it through the LATEST POSTS.

~Keven

I now have Unity installed, and it looks great but I so busy working on the Month Project, aye!

I'm going to set up my desktop tomorrow so I'll be downloading Engine001 and Construct 2.

Also list wise I'm working to improve it for easy search by: name, type (3D/2D), free/commercial, etc.

~Keven

UPDATE

Announcing the GDU: Software List (Ver. 003). We (Marked & Me) are working on a way add/embed the list in this topic. Untill then visit it's official site at: Software List.

Sample Image

fp-roktabstop-2.jpg

Edited by Noob Saibot

I didn't google anything Marked! I actually have had those for a while now.

and I notice that the console makers such as RPG Maker 2 are not included in this list?

I didn't google anything Marked! I actually have had those for a while now.

and I notice that the console makers such as RPG Maker 2 are not included in this list?

I think the list is for PC. Theres no way to distribute your game. I dont see someone selling PS2 memory cards with RPG Maker 2 games on them. And with the requirement of the disk to play them it makes it a real pain to distribute.

Would be nice if they made a PC version of RPG Maker 2.

I think the list is for PC. Theres no way to distribute your game. I dont see someone selling PS2 memory cards with RPG Maker 2 games on them. And with the requirement of the disk to play them it makes it a real pain to distribute.

Would be nice if they made a PC version of RPG Maker 2.

• HELL YEA!! Finally someone else agrees! Pol, You are awesome!

Isn't a pc version of rpg maker 2 basically 3d rpg maker?

Noticed were rpgtoolkit is under 3d, unless somethings changed its 2d.

Edited by Broken Messiah

Just like to say, the list looks amazing and very usefull, good work!

Thank you. More will be added soon.

Noticed were rpgtoolkit is under 3d, unless somethings changed its 2d.

No it isn't. It clearly says 2D and filters only in the 2D filter (and free).

Edited by Noob Saibot

Could we add CryENGINE 3 to the list? It's free for non-commercial use.

http://mycryengine.com/

It's also what I'll be using to develop my games on. That is, once I learn C++. Going to FSU for a baccalaureate in Game Design so.. Yeah.

Anyway, /topic. CryENGINE 3, for those who don't know, is the third revision of the CryENGINE which was used to make Crysis. Crysis, back when it was released, required a SEVERELY high-end computer to play. Its quality in resolution is about 4 times that of Crysis 2.

I'm glad that Crytek decided to release their engine for free to people like ourselves. Some companies will release it for free, but they take a chunk of your profit. I think that UDK did that with UDK 2. Right?

Stencyl has been on the list since I created it.

Nice list, but I think Stencyl has actually been around for a long time.

Stencyl is not that old. The software itself (from release date) is quite young.

Edited by Noob Saibot