New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Leon

Lyris - pt. 1

Dusk was falling as a traveler with icy-blue hair wandered into the outskirts of town. The edge of her wide-brimmed hat blocked the sun from her eyes. Over her shoulder hung a sack, half full. With a dagger at her hip, just below her leather vest. Around her neck, a silver chain, with a pendant bearing a dark sapphire crystal.

Her skirt flowwed gently in the breeze, above her knees as her boots left light prints in the dust. The way everyone looked at her as she walked by made her feel misplaced; but she did her best not to show it; and instead, set forth into the small town.

As she walked along the muddy streets, with the lamplighters bringing illumination to the dark night, she glanced around, looking for any place she may stay for the night.

Dusk was falling as a traveler with icy-blue hair wandered into the outskirts of town. The edge of her wide-brimmed hat blocked the sun from her eyes. Over her shoulder hung a sack, half full. With a dagger at her hip, just below her leather vest. Around her neck, a silver chain, with a pendant bearing a dark sapphire crystal.

Her skirt flowwed gently in the breeze, above her knees as her boots left light prints in the dust. The way everyone looked at her as she walked by made her feel misplaced; but she did her best not to show it; and instead, set forth into the small town.

As she walked along the muddy streets, with the lamplighters bringing illumination to the dark night, she glanced around, looking for any place she may stay for the night.

She looked at the tall murky looking buildings with their broken wooden frames and the plant life that was growing on the sides, as she thought to herself how old and run down the place looked compared to the graceful places that she is used to seeing. As she turned the corner she saw a sign that read " Old Man Mutchers Bed and Booze".

She opened the door and as soon as she entered the building, the men stared at her with a indulging look on their dark pale faces as if the sight of a woman was a rare thing. She walks carefully up to the bar as the men slowly start focusing their interest back on the jugs of beer and half eaten plates. She sits at the red stool and calls the bartender over to where she is.

Bartender: How May I help you young lady?

Woman: I'm Seeking a room, just for the night.

The Bartender looks at the dagger on the woman's side. A little startled the bartender gets down to eye level with her as he stares into her deep brown eyes.

Bartender: Your not looking for any trouble are you?

Woman: Just here on my own business.

The woman looking at what the bartender is pointing at on her hip and lets out a soft sigh and smirks.

Woman: Its just for my protection. Nothing wrong with a girl defending herself is there?

She stared back into his green and now doubtful eyes as he slowly raises back up turns and picks up a silver key and lays it on the desk.

Bartender: The room will cost you.

The woman reaches into her leather vest and drops a bag with what appears to be some kind of metallic substance inside. She takes the keys and heads upstairs as she prepares to lay her fatigued body down for the night.

Entering her room she immediately locks the door and heads over to her bed. Looking at it she notices how poor the design is and how it looked uncomfortable. Oh well she said to herself as she laid down on it and blew out the lantern on the wooden clunky desk beside her. She closes her eyes as the wind breezes through the night. Her only thoughts now are of how relaxed she is in the bed her body now lay on.

The next morning, she rose and grabbing her bag, headed down into the bar area. There, she looked around, and sat, hoping for a hearty meal to start the day.

A dark figure observed the young woman as she entered the pub from his seat at the farthest end of the dinning hall. It seemed her arrival caught the attention of most of the patrons but things were quiet this evening and even a mouse would have drawn out eyes from the farthest corners of the establishment. I was a foul night and those who lived in the area knew that dark things were creeping in the shadows.

It came as no surprise to the man when the news of the murders came to the pub during the late hours. Most every one had already left or gone to bed, but the man in back still had half a pint of beer in his hands and he was determined to finish it.

It was the youngest deputy who came in, dabbed with blood spatter by his knees and drenched by the rain to ask questions.

"Jesus Christ boy, what the hell happened to you?" The bartender was clearly startled by the blood.

The deputy shook his head as he removed his large rimmed hat. "It was Tommy Jameson, I found him in the alley a few blocks up ripped to shreds. Sheriff Dunn also found Kaila out past the Boyde's house killed the same way."

The bartender frowned and shook his head in dismay at the news. "Damn it, tonight of all nights. Every one knows to stay in, what in the hell were those kids doing out so late?"

The deputy shrugged and sat at the bar. "I don't have a clue, but Sheriff wants me to ask if you had any new clients tonight and to verify their whereabouts for the last three or so hours."

The bartender nodded. "Well I only have two tonight who are new. A young girl and that man over in the corner. He's been here all night drinking. The girl went to bed about an hour ago."

The deputy sighed hoping to find a lead. " Damn, both were killed hours ago. I guess I'll keep searching. If you hear anything let us know." He put his hat back on and with a slight nod to the bartender he left to the dark of the rainy night.

Finishing his drink the dark man got up and put his trench coat and leather cowboy hat back on before turning to the bartender and tossing him a coin. "Things look like they're getting interesting here." He spoke with a rough deep voice that almost seemed like a growl."

The bartender shook his head and frowned deeper than he had before. "Nothing good's going to come of this."

"Probably not, but it'll be interesting." And the dark man pushed the door open and walked out into the rain to follow the deputy.