New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Broken Messiah

Create a small game in a week.

Using one of the plots given in here, you must create a game whose entirety of gameplay is that plot. That means, you shouldn't use elaborate systems or large amounts of skills or anything that pretains to leveling up on a extended basis. Any of the plots can be chosen, some will suit a tiny adventure game and others won't. I'll also be participating in this, as long as there can be someone else to judge them for how well they presented the plot.

Anyone interested in this are to post which plot they are doing, as in "Quest For the Sparkly Hoozits". No one else can do that plot. 

Rewards: None, I suppose they could be spotlighted or something, thats Marked and and the other staffs field. From me, you'll get a big shoutout on my website, and the praise and acculations of your peers.

Plot I'm doing:

No One Has Soiled The Bridge

The PCs are assigned to guard a single vital spot (anything from a mountain pass to a solar system) from impending or possible attack. They must plan their defensive strategy, set up watches, set traps, and so on, and then deal with the enemy when it arrives.

When you state your Plot, do not include the twist. Yes anyone could just look on the website and find out, but that takes away some of the fun:)

UPDATE: There is no engine requirement, use what you feel will be most effective. You can even do a Visual Novel if you want, which now that I think about it, might not be a bad idea...

Start Date = 6.16.2013

End Date = 6.23.2013

Edited by Broken Messiah

Nice event, I mgiht give it a go!

Ok so here's my plot below:

Delver's Delight

The PCs are treasure-hunters, who have caught wind of a treasure-laden ruin. They go to explore it, and must deal with its supernatural denizens to win the treasure and get out alive.

Edited by madanchi

I like the idea, but i'll have to wait til next week when my classes give me a break.

if i do it it'll be:

Capture the Flag

The PCs must secure a military target for the good guys. There are bad guys there that prefer not to be secured. The fundamental tactical scenario.

It would be great if you could participate dolarmark. It's a shame that your classes are getting in the way. I was planning on extending the duration of it to allow for more people to join, and this is another reason, so how about it be a month like normal?

I think there should be a start date. People are going to read this, look at the post date, and think the contest is almost up. Looks like there might be 3 contestants, so might be a good to collect participates and set the best start date, then let it run. If you like, I can advertise it on the site (but I'd insist on headings in the OP :P). History suggests a month is too long, members forget, put it off too long. I think the pressure of a week is much more motivating.

i say we start it next week, say the 16th. That way people have plenty of notice about it.

but thats just me, if you give me a month it doesn't matter, if it's only a week i can't do it this week.

would do it but not even a medal or award given for this contest.

you don't always need an award for something Shin. But if you want I'll make up some Medals for people to pimp lol

would do it but not even a medal or award given for this contest.

No you wouldn't. The contest is not about winning something. If the competition kicks off with at least 2 participants then the usual awards for contests will be given.

Ok Marked, can you set a exact date of start? I havent worked on my submission since i first announced it to make it fair, but we need a starting date. I think what dolarmark mention(16th) is good set start and the 23rd be the end, with the next day or so jugding the entries.

yeah I'm up for 16th-23rd. that's one week to make a small game, I think we should also stipulate a duration the game needs to fill, say at least 15-20 minutes of game play?

15-20mins? That's a little too short. Maybe 30min-1hr.

In a week? I duno, I haven't made games in a long time, but you could spend like a good week on perfecting a few maps, right? I propose no time limit, or a minimum of 5 minutes, but instead the length of game-play to be taken into account come judging.

Sorry I didn't get around to the advertising last night. Had a late one studying :dizzy:

hey no worries marked, there is still plenty of time.

I still think there should be a minimum of at least 15 minutes.

Hmm, a week to make up a story and put it into events? Sounds like an easy way to get some fame.

I'll take up the Safari plot.

The PCs are on a hunting expedition, to capture or kill and elusive and prized creature. They must deal with its environment, its own ability to evade them, and possibly its ability to fight them.

Hmm, a week to make up a story and put it into events? Sounds like an easy way to get some fame.

I loved how you worded that lol, reminds me of that blue haired girl from lucky star

lucky-star-konata-computer-7021.jpg

Hey just curious how you guys are doing with your projects?

I've got a lot done in the last few days. I got most if not all the scripts I needed working, and have most of the artwork done (face sets, character sets, tile sets).

I'm currently Mapping and Eventing.

I have most of the scripts needed to work, I still need to fully incorperate the battle system(first time using this kind of battle system,and ACE),then it's just the story. I plan to finish putting in the battle system tonight.

*cough cough* I haven't done much. After the first few days I figured I won't have enough time to finish it, so my motivation dropped quickly.

I know that feeling, however being that I created this contest, I don't have that liberty lol, if anything I may have to cut out some bonus content, edit the story.

I know that feeling, however being that I created this contest, I don't have that liberty lol, if anything I may have to cut out some bonus content, edit the story.

*cough cough* I haven't done much. After the first few days I figured I won't have enough time to finish it, so my motivation dropped quickly.

well thats the thing, we went into this knowing it would be a 1 week contest, so doing something too ambitious isn't necessary. Simple is better. I focused on 1 main feature for my game and built the rest around that. the story is pretty basic, but does have some interesting twists. character development in story is nearly non-existent because the time restraint and i'm not worried about it at all.

Don't give up guys, only a few days left :)

Oh, I'm keeping it simple. I was only planning to make a cinematic of the story, doesn't even have gameplay. The thing is, I am a perfectionist, and I can't help polishing out every slight detail in the cutscene, which is taking longer than I have.

then try somethings else. Part of the point of this competition is to get us out of out comfort zones. I think most if not all of us here on the site want perfection from our games, but we have to look realistically at a competition like this and know that we don't have the time for it.

Don't be afraid to explore things you've never done before.

Alright, with less than 24 hours to go, who here is almost finished or atleast ready to present something?

I could easily add more levels to my game, which i may do after the contest, otherwise once I complete the next level that will be as far as I get with the demo/contest entry. So far my game time runs about 30 minutes, which is knowing exactly the best way to do thing. with my next and final contest level i suspect about 45min-1hour.