New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Jesse66126

[Poll]Can you just not have Rape in a video game?

Should there not be any rape in video games even if it's a horror game?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering

• Yes, Rape should never be in a video game, even if the game is ultra violent with blood and guts splattered everywhere!
    • No, Rape is horrific, but compared to blood and guts being splattered everywhere, it's hardly out of place in a ultra violent game.

I've been trying to get feed back on my recent game, Pandemonium, for several days now. My videos for the game haven't even received any dislikes or comments, though according to statistics only one person from Estonia has seen the whole video series in full. My posts, all across the internet have gone completely unanswered.

www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/9874-ace-pandemonium-v3-complete/

The story is about a young girl who was kidnapped and has to escape from her captor. The villain, Kyle, would pursue her endlessly, and if he caught her, he would rapes and kills her. Granted that the game is intended for a mature audience and the horror genre, but is rape worse than gruesome murder? Would the game just be more appealing if he just hacked her to pieces instead? To me, it doesn't make sense for him to kill her outright. It's made very clear in the game that if he wanted to kill her, he could easily have done so. He wouldn't have kidnapped her. He would have just been an assassin. I was going to make another game, but I'm feeling quite discouraged. Like I said, I could change it to him tearing her limb from limb while guzzling down the blood gushing from her severed arms like in Ninja Scroll. Or something like in Blood C.

Edited by Jesse66126

I can definitely see why even fans of horror games (I am not one in any way) would avoid a game like that. Rape is, ironically, a sensitive subject (Ironically because i don't think there should be a discussion about it.) and victims tend to be very traumatized by it. Sex in general is very private and most times portrayed, almost, as something very bad. To be honest, I don't like the story of the game, and the idea of playing it makes me feel a bit...I don't know, nervous i guess you could say.

I would bet it's the kind of thing that would have a "viewer discretion is advised" thing if it were on tv, and be categorized in the bad stuff section along with, but not NEARLY as bad as, a game where you're jewish and being chased by Nazis through Auschwitz...Yea, that's a little over the top, but I think...well HOPE you get what I mean...

Edited by Bob423

To be honest, I don't like the story of the game, and the idea of playing it makes me feel a bit...I don't know, nervous i guess you could say.

It's a horror game! You're not supposed to be comfortable! You're supposed to be scared!

Well people want to be scared, not uncomfortable. Know what I mean?

Scared as in, fear of that scary noise, those blood stains, that shadow, the hand on your shoulder...

Fearing for your virginity isn't something people want in a game I think...

Did I mention he kills her after raping her? The rape event is a game over. The player doesn't survive it. It's more like an extra torturous humiliation before the kill. The idea is a cat and mouse game. He's chasing you, while you have to get around spike traps, rapid dogs, things that shoot at you, while trying to get out of this prison-like fortress.

I wanted the heroine to be a normal, everyday girl, with no magical powers what so ever, who happens to be pretty. Moreover, kidnapping and rape go hand in hand, realistically. That's generally the motive for kidnapping. It is what it is. I could have given him some divine reason for kidnapping her, but I didn't want to make her super powerful. I wanted the player to feel helpless and scared. 

Edited by Jesse66126

Rape is a very difficult subject matter.  There are those of us who are vehemently against it, there are sadistic inhuman fiends who openly see nothing wrong with it, and there are those in every area of grey in between.  Even crime shows have to walk a fine line with their rape storylines, and I'm sure they have episodes that get their share of irate negative feedback.  If, for the purpose of your storyline, the element of rape is imperative, you might consider finding a way to imply that it would happen without actually stating that it would.  Personally, I would never pick up a game that had rape as the consequence of failure.  But then, I would never play a game in the horror genre either.  Really, it's going to depend on what type of player you want to cater to.

Rape is a very difficult subject matter.  There are those of us who are vehemently against it, there are sadistic inhuman fiends who openly see nothing wrong with it, and there are those in every area of grey in between.  Even crime shows have to walk a fine line with their rape storylines, and I'm sure they have episodes that get their share of irate negative feedback.  If, for the purpose of your storyline, the element of rape is imperative, you might consider finding a way to imply that it would happen without actually stating that it would.  Personally, I would never pick up a game that had rape as the consequence of failure.  But then, I would never play a game in the horror genre either.  Really, it's going to depend on what type of player you want to cater to.

It's not really a consequence of failure. Odds are, most deaths would come from the spike traps or rabid dogs. The Enemy NPC, Kyle, walks towards you, you run away. But if he catches you, you can still struggle free, unless you're low HP. I show in the video series that  I don't even get grabbed that often. Kyle, the enemy, moves quite fast, but he's not difficult to out run.