New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
EmilyAnnCoons

To Continue or shut down?

Continuing or shutting down the project for good?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should we continue the project or shut it down for good?

• Keep it going, I'll participate!
    • Shut it down
    • Try ANOTHER project (the 10th time) REQUIRES COMMENT!

So, the question comes...it has been nearly 2 months now since the project got any work. I know this, because I have done nothing while waiting for the resources to work on it. In the meantime, I've gotten no graphics, scripts, music, etc. So, therefore, I can only assume no one has been working on the resources. So, now I have to ask, should we shut the project down or keep it going? I want to ask instead of shut it down for one reason: If we can't work together to make a game for our forum, how can we work together to aid others in making their games?

Honestly, our forum is supposed to be around to help people make games, and that's nice and all, but if we can't make our own game, how can we hope to help 20 others with their games? Now, you say "we're all busy with our own games." That's my point! If we're all busy with our own individual projects and can't help with one big group project, how can we not be too busy to work on 20 other individual projects by others?

So, I'll ask this now. Should we try to keep this project (Holy Magic Century remake) going? Should we try for ANOTHER project (for the 10th time)? Or should we just shut down the project making group once and for all? Please make a note that voting to keep the project going is also a vote for working on the project. I want no votes to keep it going if no one will work on it. If you won't work on it, vote to shut down. If you'll work on a different project, but not HMC, then vote to do another project.

I repeat, do not vote to keep Holy Magic Century going if you will not work on it! Also, if you vote to do another project, you MUST post what the other project is you will work on! It can be original, a remake, etc. These will then go into a vote should option 3 get the most votes.

I say keep it going, it takes quite a while to make a game, especially if it's a big one. I can try to help anyway I can.

I'm not sure wether to vote on shut it down or try a new project.

The last project I helped on,Final Destiny,I ended up having to finish by myself.

I'm not working on project but i would have to say Keep it going.

Here is some things i would do.

Kick the members who are working on it into gear!!!!

Make due dates for each member!!!!

Give each member a thing to work on till the due date!!!!

Ill work on some of it if you are willing to let me. I need something to do in my spare time anyways.

I vote... keep it up. I don't have much spare time, so I've come to conclusion. If you have something for me to map into greater detail by the end of each week, I will edit all of your maps to have more detail, or if you want you can just send me a basic premise of the map and I will make it for you. It would make me sad to think that I, as a member of this site, let this project die. So what do you say?

Wow, all of you sound pretty enthused about continuing the project. The main reason I posted this was because no one seemed to be doing anything, even after I double posted asking people how they were doing. If people are willing to help out, I'd love to keep the project going.

As for you, Jesse, I can understand reluctance to join into this project due to what happened with yours. However, if you'll notice, the same thing that happened with yours is happening with our new one, no one is doing anything. This project is supposed to be for everyone to work on...if no one is willing to, then I see no reason to keep it going. -shrugs- That's about it really...

I say keep it going, it takes quite a while to make a game, especially if it's a big one.
It's not so much that it is taking a while for it to get complete...it's that no work at all is being done on it. No music has been handed over, no graphics (though someone said they had a Brian characterset which I have yet tor receive), no new scripts (seriously, we can't use the DBS, we need someone to make a new one, or pick a new one from existing scripts), or anything else (in case I forgot to list anything). So, yeah, games take time to make, but when nothing is being done, then that means unnecessary time is being used. If it takes us a year to make it, no problem, but if we don't work at all, what was a year could turn into 20, and then what? There was no point in any of it.

Sorry to anyone who took any offense on this post...I feel like I was kinda yelling a bit...which I wasn't meaning to do. Sorry ^^"

Sorry to anyone who took any offense on this post...I feel like I was kinda yelling a bit...which I wasn't meaning to do. Sorry ^^"

Its sounds to me that it's necessary.

I agree with polraudios post. I think that if the management system operates well then there should be some progress. Also, from the time when I was involved in the project it was a big mess. There were topics for each attribute of the main character. What is the sex, what is the name, what is everything? etc. And that just slows things down. One person should be assigned this job, and the people above them should be able to chop and change as they see appropriate for the project. The good thing about those days was that there were members who were willing to participate.

Perhaps there should be a sort of hierarchy? Head guy -> managers -> developers sort of thing. Thats just an idea to make sure progress is made. Its unnecessary if there is a team leader and then only project members working, and that works.

The last thing I wanted to post about was something I found a while ago. Our website is powered by Joomla software. This module called TeamLog is for joomla, check it out:

http://teamlog.yootheme.com/

I recommend watching the video at the bottom. Perhaps this would be an efficient way of keeping the project going. The other thing I was going to say is deadlines. One member has the task of storyline, set a deadline for it to be finished. And that way certain things get finished at certain times, and the project progresses.

I would hate to see the site project go down in flames, but I also refuse to vote. I can attempt to help with scripts, but I cannot give a 100% guarentee because it is based on the already implimented scripts, and what scripts you would want. Further, I cannot help with much other aspects, because my own personal project inhibits that a bit. (And none of you know what that project is! *Gives a full-hearty laugh*)

Now, to do the scripts, i would need a copy of the current project to look at the implimented scripts, and i would need to know exactly what scripts would be needed. I would like to help, I just dont want to fully commit to something and be way in over my head. Yes, i can script very well, but at the same time, I haven't the time to sort through 20 scripts just to see what is blocking one of my own.

Hmm...the program looks like a good idea. I see no problems with it. So, if you're asking me if it's a good idea, then sure, go ahead and install it. If you're asking me to install it...I really don't know what to do, where to put it, etc. So, yeah, I don't really know what to do to start it up lol

I'm actually surprised how many people want to keep the project running. I might go ahead and agree to keep it running, then. However, I really only want to keep it running if people will actually work on it. If no one will, then I see no reason to keep it going.

@Leon: As for scripts, at the moment, I don't even think I have any custom scripts in it. The only ones I have right now (that I can recall) are my credits script and a mod to change the text window to 500 pixels, instead of 480, thus being able to not worry about the stupid arrow...Otherwise, I don't think I have anything, and right now, the ones we need are a menu, a battle system, and a system for placing spirits into elements, each reaching a max of 50 and giving you skills every...4 or so? I think it's something like that. Other then that, we aren't in any need of scripts at the moment. However, without those, I can't program much at all.

So what are we going to do? I'm going to try my best to help you out, even if I don't have as much time as you might want to get out of me. I have never really shown my real talent in RPG Maker XP. (Hehe, I laugh every time I write that because it makes me thank about the corny commercial :lol:) Lots of people who are making games with this program thank that scripts HAVE to be implemented in order to make a good game. Now, if you need a different battle system, then that is okay, otherwise, don't try so hard. What I mean by this is, we should get a basic premise down of what we want in the game, and make it. Planning to put all of these extraneous (exaggerating) concepts before we even have a something to work on in my opinion is, well, stupid. This isn't to be mean or flame, it means that we should give as much time as we can to this project and get something down.

~Kiriashi~

battle system is difficult. as for your edits to the window_message, i suggest Dube's Custom Messaging System. Menu is a piece of cake, same with teh spirits bit, for the most part.

Yeah, I'm actually using an edit I made to Dube's Message system -forgot to say that bit-

Thanks, Kiriashi. I already know what I want for the most part for the current project. I've beaten Quest 64 about 3 times over now, and I know the basic storyline of it and everything by heart. I don't remember the bosses too well, but I have a copy of the game and can easily play it over again to learn all of that stuff. To make the game anything like the old game, we'll need a new battle system. The original used a system where you had 4 stats - Health, Mana, Agility, and Defense. You used your mana to fight, cause you almost always used spells to attack (your staff starts weak and never gets stronger, thus becoming pointless to use). Your defense determined how well you defended in battle, and your agility determined how much you could move per turn.

The battle system was a group of circles. The higher your agility, the larger the circles, eventually ending with your agility reaching 500, causing your normal movement circle to grow as large as the battlefield, allowing you to always be able to escape. Also, you never leveled up. Your four stats each gained exp and leveled independent of each other. The only true "leveling" other then that, was that if you gained enough exp, you got a new spirit to add to your elements. I don't know how to do that, though, on RPG Maker XP.

Other then that, we need a menu system. The Quest64 menu had one screen for stats, one screen for element stats, a third screen for a map, and the final screen was options (it had music, sound, and that was about it lol). Lastly, you found elements all over the place, so there was a way to pick them up and put them into elements. Basically, you stepped up to one, hit a button, and it asked "Put it in fire, water, earth, or air?" and you pushed a button accordingly, though it had a cool picture, and had no words...and there was virtually no speaking in the game cause no one said anything important.

May I ask why the site would make a remake of Quest64? I mean, for the site to be respectable, we should have an original game; else it looks like we are a bunch of copy cats. I'd hate for the site to lose respect in that aspect...

May I ask why the site would make a remake of Quest64? I mean, for the site to be respectable, we should have an original game; else it looks like we are a bunch of copy cats. I'd hate for the site to lose respect in that aspect...

This is what I was trying to say. I think making a game remake is.. well.. stupid. I'm sorry, but it just is. We should make something that we have come up with. It isn't that hard to come up with a brilliant story, you just have to try hard. I know that Jesse is really good at this, and though he is working on IsCh, he should be able to spare a few hours a week. I know I can try to think of a good story, and you guys can too, right?

it's not that it is stupid, i just think an original would draw a better crowd.

Stupid meaning that it is a bad idea, not literally stupid. Though yes, it would draw up a better crowd if everything was original.

I'm really good at drawing sprites and battlers,eventing,and making up stories,but you guys have to promise me you won't give up early like last time,okay?

Yeah! That is the spirit Jesse! You're becoming one of my favorite members! May I see your battlers? (PM me)

If you guys want to try a new project,I can definitely come up with a great original storyline.

My mom says I'm very good at making up stories! =P

Well your mom is no liar because I think that you IsCr story is well done.

Emmy, if you do decide to make an original game with us, than we should defiantly see what Jesse has to offer.

What are we going to do Emmy? I wanna make an original game. Start out small, and improve it once we are done.

Hmm...sounds like people want to go with an original idea now (which is what the third option was for, dorks :P Oh well.) In either case, an original idea sounds way better then a remake. The reason we went with the remake were 1. It was the second highest voted project in the last poll, and 2. This is the...4th project we've done? And this is the only non-original idea so far?

If people want to go ahead and go with an original idea, I can run another poll topic. People can post up their original ideas (I have 2!) and we can put them into a single poll and people can vote from there. However...I want to make this point clear when I say it:

If we try the vote topic again, then I request that you only vote and join into the project if you are actually WILLING to work, not because it sounds like the best idea

well I have absolutely no knowledge of ths game, but If i really like how it sounds, ill do some spriting, tiles, otehr gfx, and website if needed... but, i got my own game, 2 others to work on, and then this one. so, I would be really busy, but I would be slowly working... so, point me in the right direction...

Also!I am not making this game all by myself,like the 3rd project we tried!

I can do sprites,battlers,the storyline and maybe even eventing,but I will not,I WILL NOT make the game all by myself and post it as the group's project!!

I shall warn you,if I join in this project and end up doing all the work,I will claim it as MY game.

Minor helpers will be merely listed in the credits at the end of the game.

However,the game WILL be finished. It might take weeks,monthes,even an entire year,

but I have ALWAYS finished every game I have ever set out to make.

If you look back at Final Destiny:

http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1781

You'll notice that almost every other post was mine,up until the end when Emily closed it on Dec 29th.

Everyone understand? I am not making this game myself like with Final Destiny!

Sorry,If I seem like I'm angry,I have a cold and a fever,but I'm getting better.

I have some free time right now, so I can help with whatever I can. And I do have a game idea or two.

Edit: It's ok Jesse66126, a fever can do that to people. And I want to help with this project to the very end as well. This'll be so much fun.

I have no problem developing scripts, and controlling the overall inner machinations of the game. Anything outside of a battle system is nearly 100% doable by yours truly.

Heh, that's the spirit Leon! So Jesse will help with the story and battler graphics, Leon script out non-major things (everything else we'll work around), Chief will help with 'tilesets' when he can, I will help with mapping in extreme detail, Nisage can help out with anything else that.. he can help out with, and Polraudio will (if this is okay with you) assign people different things to do and make sure they're doing it, and bring the cake. Emmy, I'm assuming you are going to be the leader of this project, so you can.. OH!, Nisage can make animations. So anyways, Emmy, you are going to be putting all of the animations, classes, weapons, items and things like that into order. I know Leon can help with icon spriting as he made me a really good one a while back. Also Emmy, you are going to be laying out the events and maps for others to finish right? Like you make a map and set up events and I can finish the map and Nisage and or Jesse can set up events. So it comes down to this:

Project Leader: Emmy (Emily Konichi), makes the actual RPG elements, sets up maps and events

Mapper: Myself (Kiriashi), I will map out anything and everything that Emmy tells me to do. I can also help make icons and I will make any tileset splices you need. Polraudio can help out with this to maybe? (Pol will be the member moral leader and assigner)

Event-ers: Now the best event-er on this site is Arkbennett, but he hasn't said anything. So Nisage and Jesse will be eventing things out.

GG (Game design, writing): Emmy (Emily Konichi) and Jesse are going to be the lead game designers, though everyone should help out with this as it is a community project, so we should all poor our ideas into it.

Graphics: Chief and Jesse are going to be making any graphics that we don't already have. I know both of you are busy, so just try to do as much as you can for the sake of this project. Leon and I can make icons.

Script-er and handler: Our favorite script-er, Leon, will make the non-major scripts from like 1-500 line things I'm assuming, though whatever he does will be helpful. He will also be the Handler, meaning he makes sure that switches and variables in the game are doing what they're supposed to be doing.

That's my two cents. I just wrote this out, it doesn't have to be so.

Well, i can write some major scripts. just not a Battle system. Hate those bastards. as for the switch/variable type person; wouldn't that fall under the eventer?