New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
EmilyAnnCoons

Cussing...is it REALLY necessary?

I've been searching message boards lately, looking over a few "Mature Discussion" forums, so I figured I'd bring some of the questions over to this forum to see our members' reactions. This one is: Is cussing really necessary? Do we honestly HAVE to cuss to get our point across? I've found that it does make it easier, but I don't know if it is 100% necessary. Saying "fuck you" definitely gets across the point we're pissed off a lot easier then screaming "I'm pissed, so go away and leave me alone!" But either one would get the same point across.

So, the question is: Is cussing really necessary?

Let's be adult by this, and avoid getting offended by each others responses, ok?

Well you don't have to swear to get your point across. Some people hate talking to a certain group of people so they just say things short, sweet, and to the point, like your example. But no, it isn't really necessary. I mean, think back before you knew any swear words, grade school, or more far back. You didn't know any, but still got your point across. True, your vocabulary on insults did evolved from the word "Meanie" to one of the "B" words, or would it be devolved instead?. Anyway...... Basicly it's not necessary, but we mostly swear since we don't know any better (more or less).

Funny thing about swearing. the 'F' word,, for example simply stands for (and this is no joke) Fornication Under the Consent of the King.

Warning: Contains swearing!

Bitch originates from the old english meaning of female dog. So calling a woman a real dog is an insult, so bitch was used to be nicer about it. Come today, it is worse.

Damn - To condemn. So when you say 'damn you', you are basically passing judgment, something against the Good Book.

'Ass' - Donkey. 'nough said.

'Shit' - the most versitle word in the english language. Dont know where it originates, but it is there.

Now, as for if they are necessary, well, is the word 'ovum' needed? What about 'isle' as opposed to 'island'? You also have 'couch' and 'sofa' or 'car' and 'automobile'. Isn't english fun?!

Essentially, no, it isn't needed. However, it is merely another (and overused) way of stating something, and usually easier to do that writing out an entire sentence. For instance 'Go fuck yourself'. my way of saying 'you've done pissed me off, now get out of my way before i put my size 12 up your ass'.

I do apologize for such language, i normally dont in the presence of a lady; but i thought i'd just point out my perspective. "A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet"

Motorcycles are automobiles as well. I'm not sure, but motorboats might be too.

Actually, in the term of like...insurance..."Automobile" insurance won't cover motorcycles and boats >>;; Off topic, but still >>

Also, I don't think swearing is necessary, but it makes things easier, and I'm used to it.

How did it go from swearing to machines? It might make things easier, but it can also make things worse if you swear by accident, or if you're losing your temper and then swear.

Anyonet hat knows me, knows I swear way too much sometimes. Do I think it's needed, not all the time. I still use it though mainly because I grew up with it, so to me it was everyday words that really meant nothing.

Still talking about swearing but I'm gonna jump gears a little here. I used to swear real bad in my music when I first started writing. Back then I thought it made me "cool". Then I grew up and realized, it only made me sound dumb. So if you listen to my music, yes I do swear in it, but not as much as I used to or some other poeple out there.

Is it necessary, yes sometimes it is. Some situations I feel do call for it. You try to be as nice as you can but the other person still treats you like a fucking ass. Well then maybe a couple of swear words their way makes sense and they finally listen. Sad but true on how this world works.

***WARNING FOR DA KIDS: BAD WORDIES HERE***

Despite their beginnings, all words gather certain connotations and potencies as they are used down through the years...so a word like "fuck" has the weight of YEARS of emotion behind it...it gives the speaker a lot of weight behind one simple word. Thusly, a sentence like, "Fuck that shit!" conveys a whole lot more emotion and passion than would, say, "Forget that stuff!"

So is a cussword really necessary? No, but then no word is truly NECESSARY. Cusswords can, however, give conversation a ferocity and weight that is perhaps unmatched by other words of common usage.

With that said, I generally restrict my use of such words to situations like, "Oh, fuck, I just cut my toe off!"....it bothers me when I hear a conversation in which every other word is a cussword. I mean, come on. Crack a dictionary or something. Learn some new words. So to sum up...I think they are NOT necessary, but can be extremely useful.

Absofuckinglutley! Swearing is just shorter. It's easier to say "Fuck this shit!" than it would be to say ... "I disagree with and am completely unsatisfied with this worthless junk!"

GEIKO covers it all!

I think it's called for at times, I swear -alot- (I mean a lot by the way, more than necessary) but then again they're just words to me. It's no different than someone calling me a toaster. If used the right way anything can be a good insult... like, well, toaster. You could call someone a toaster with wholewheat bread stuck in them, and if they're pissed off enough, they'll take it as an insult just like they'd take calling them a mother fucker as an insult. A little off topic there but yeah, is swearing -really- necessary... probably not. But it's just easier and more fun to swear at times.