New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Polraudio

RMXPU Mapping Contest #1

23 members have voted

1. 1. Round 2

• Map 1
    • Map 3
    • Map 4
    • Map 5
    • Map 6

I'm new to RMXP. In fact I just downloaded it and installed it about a week ago. However a "few" years back I was a super nerd, no offense to anyone, and spent all my time on RpgMaker 2000, after about a year on 95. I continued with RM2K3, but gradually stopped all together. I made a game called Tales of the Wind, and the best attributes of this game were the maps. It was rated at a 7.2 at the time, which was very high. I'm not trying to float my boat, but I want to give this contest a go because at one point in my life, rpg making was my life. I may have a few questions about the specifics of the rules, specifically, what can you edit about the RTP maps. Like does everything on the map I make have to come from the RTP basically?

Anyways, I'm in.

~xXBrokenXx

Welcome to RMXPU.

As for RTP edits you can copy parts from other RTP sets, put parts of RTP together.

EX: copy and paste cups from one set on the table on another set.

Even if you want to you can put every single RTP set together and use that.

Contest starts in 2 and a half hours everyone. I wont accept any more people into the contest after that time.

Sooooo.....which time zone is this contest in...can i start at 12am (if so, which timezone :3 )????

EDIT: WHOOPS. I posted this before seeing your latest post pol, so my question is answered lol

The main post has a link to a site that has the time for the timezone.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/

Do i still make it in?

Also, another question: are the "realistic" style autotiles fair game, or will we haveto use the squarey ones?

Edited by Serge

Can we start mapping now? Im too lazy to go check the link. Or at least make a post of "On your mark..."

Just out of curiousity, how big are the maps you are planning to do? The one I'm working on is 50 by 80, but what I'm coming up with is super complex!

Do i still make it in?

Also, another question: are the "realistic" style autotiles fair game, or will we haveto use the squarey ones?

Made it in time. Lil late but not by much.

As for the autotiles. Nope. No outside resources.

The contest has been started. Good luck everyone.

You guys could all team up and still have no chance. >;p

Wisdom and truth right here guys

my interwebs decided to go bye bye last night :( sowwie

Wisdom and truth right here guys

my interwebs decided to go bye bye last night :( sowwie

Less talk, moar map!

50x80 is quite bit for normal maps, but I think some people will think bigger is better, so probably most peoples' maps will be on the larger side.

Not going to say what I'm doing. :3

I feel the need to add something about the rounded water autotiles.

I dont think it makes any difference if it is a rule or not because there are other "rules" that we will all be following. For example, those autotiles have to blend in with whatever tilesets are being used, otherwise they will look unnatural. If they look unnatural, those would stick out like sore thumbs while judging and said map would get knocked way down for breaking those undeclared rules. Having to use default tilesets or merged tilesets pretty much creates its own set of undeclared rules. Say your autotile was a busted up flooded washed out freeway, not gonna look very good next to a grass tileset. Doesnt have to be spoken rule for that, judges will see those and just rip problems like that to shreds.

Personally, I can't stand the squared water autotile, and although I fully intend on complying with the rules, since what I've come up with so far I think is so far superior to anything I have done before that I intend on using it in game, which means as soon as the contest is over, that horrid square autotile is going right where it belongs. The Trashcan.

If there are reasonable exceptions to the rules, I believe edits of the water autotiles should be allowed because the ones in game are terrible. Frankly, the rounded autotiles should have been done by Enterbrain by default.

Pol, would you consider allowing edits of the water autotiles since the default ones are just that bad and not actually edits of the tilesets themselves? Basically, the ONLY allowed non default content? I really think the quality of the maps submitted in the contest could benefit from that one exception...

Use the default ones for now. In contest 2 we will be letting people be way more free with what they can use. The round water tiles will most likely be allowed in contest 2.

Got to remember that this contest is a beginning contest to make even complete beginners feel at home and give them a chance.

I'm doing 500x500

Yikes!

Use the default ones for now. In contest 2 we will be letting people be way more free with what they can use. The round water tiles will most likely be allowed in contest 2.

Got to remember that this contest is a beginning contest to make even complete beginners feel at home and give them a chance.

Ok, then I'll just go ahead and make my water round anyway then. Autotiles isn't the only way to have nice rounded water edges.

Hey, wait. NO EVENTS? I already used a crapton of events for graphics!

Can we have Weather? Or are you saying that Events shouldn't be considered for the graphical qualities of the map?

Edited by Heretic86

Hey, wait. NO EVENTS? I already used a crapton of events for graphics!

Can we have Weather? Or are you saying that Events shouldn't be considered for the graphical qualities of the map?

You won't win on the event argument... tried for two days.. even after the contest started and it isn't in the rules.. -_-

Ok, then I'll just go ahead and make my water round anyway then.

Use the default ones for now. The round water tiles will most likely be allowed in contest 2.

What about events for a 4th layer of tiles?

Surely you cannot make a map with 3 layers :o

edit: whoops, fixed

Nope. No events. This is a beginning contest. Were trying to keep mapping as simple as possible. Dont want to scare beginners away. I know how hard it is to map with limits.

Contest 2 will be for the advanced.

super late but can I join

Last time im accepting someone that is late.

is it too late to enter? I was absent whilst this contest was created and started, so I honestly do not mind if I can't enter

Pol, for family reasons at home I need to pull out of the contest. Could you remove me from the list or strike-through my name please. Sorry about this ^_^;